In Memoriam Former pro hockey player/management deaths (Chris Simon, Konstantin Koltsov)

Ice9

Jun 25, 2016
In the woods
R.I.P. Mike Christie, defenseman for the Seals, Barons, Rockies and briefly the Canucks. He had a Facebook page up looking for a kidney donor but sadly passed on Thursday at age 69 before he could get one. Hailed from Big Spring, Texas!
iu

iu

iu
One of my favorite Barons players. Believe I have a signed photo somewhere. RIP Mike...

Two of the greatest unis ever in those bottom two shots!

mbhhofr

Dec 7, 2010
Las Vegas
Reactions: ucanthanzalthetruth

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Former Amerks and Bruins goalie Jim Pettie loved team, loved life - Pickin' Splinters

Pettie was the Boston Bruins back up netminder in 1978-79, playing in 21 career NHL games. He was a tough bugger, too, picking up 13 PIMs in the NHL. In one minor league season he actually earned an amazing 145 PIMs.

He is most famous for being prolific writer George Plimpton's roommate when Plimpton participated in the Bruins training camp (even playing 5 minutes against the Flyers) while writing the book Open Net. As a result, he was prominently featured in the classic book.

Last edited:

Robert Gordon Orr

Dec 3, 2009
R.I.P. Gordie Haworth [1932-2019]
He was a longtime minor leaguer who played two NHL games for New York Rangers 1952/53.
He had an assist in his first NHL game (on the game tying goal), his only point in the big league.
Gordie was the father of longtime NHL'er Alan Haworth (500+ games).

gordie-haworth-1967-6712.jpg

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Former Amerks and Bruins goalie Jim Pettie loved team, loved life - Pickin' Splinters

Pettie was the Boston Bruins back up netminder in 1978-79, playing in 21 career NHL games. He was a tough bugger, too, picking up 13 PIMs in the NHL. In one minor league season he actually earned an amazing 145 PIMs.

He is most famous for being prolific writer George Plimpton's roommate when Plimpton participated in the Bruins training camp (even playing 5 minutes against the Flyers) while writing the book Open Net. As a result, he was prominently featured in the classic book.

Love this story from the article:
One of the stories Mr. Pettie told that day: Several Bruins players were on vacation. Bobby Schmautz, wearing a full suit, walked up onto the diving board and stood above the pool. His friends dared him to jump in, betting $100 he wouldn’t do it.
“I’ll take that bet,” Schmautz shouted, before diving in.
He was wearing Mr. Pettie’s suit.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Larry Hale, who was a member of the Flyers in their early years and then played for the WHA's Houston Aeros for most of their existence, passed a few days ago.

Reactions: SealsFan

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
wow all this time i never connected that the oilers coach was the same guy as terrible ted green, the bruins defenseman.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
wow all this time i never connected that the oilers coach was the same guy as terrible ted green, the bruins defenseman.

Interesting that Green , though more seriously injured in that fight, survived Maki by several decades.

And if you're a fan of such irony ... Maki died less than 6 months after diagnosis of a brain tumor.

i think maybe one reason i thought there were two different ted greens is because there were two ace baileys and one of them, like ted green, was involved in a high profile and violent on-ice incident, and the other, also like green, worked for the 80s oilers after his playing career.

the older ace bailey famously fractured his skull and never played again when eddie shore when apespit on him. iirc, the first all-star game was a fundraiser benefit for bailey.

ironically, that ace bailey went on to live a long life, making it to 88, long enough to get inducted into the HHOF forty years after his last game.

and ironically again, the younger ace bailey, who played on the oilers in the WHA and mentored young gretzky before joining the NHL oilers as a longtime scout, died young and tragically, semi-famously as a victim on one of the 9/11 flights that crashed into the world trade center.

Reactions: wetcoast

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
That's sad about Danny Grant. I remember one season in the 70s he was the winner of HNIC's Showdown skills competition, which was surprising as he was the least famous player in it.

frisco

Some people claim that there's a woman to blame...
Sep 14, 2017
Northern Hemisphere
I think Grant had the rookie goal scoring record for a few years. Rico Martin might have broken it. Both have passed on. R.I.P.

My Best-Carey

Reactions: Tarantula

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->