In Memoriam Former pro hockey player/management deaths (Chris Simon, Konstantin Koltsov)

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
1988 Schoenfeld Have Another Donut Referee playoff fiasco

A conference finals game with REPLACEMENT referees
I was certainly no fan of Ziegler, but I thought he got too much blame about that incident.

The NHL suspended Schoenfeld, but the Devils obtained a court injunction on the day of the next game which put him back behind the bench. The scheduled officials for the game walked out in protest.

So the options were a) cancel the game on short notice, which would upset a lot of fans, or b) use replacement officials. It was the lesser of two evils.

I'd also give him a pass on the '92 strike. Wirtz was the one pulling the strings there. The fact that Ziegler struck a deal to save the season is what got him fired. Wirtz was prepared to have no hockey as long as it took to break the union.

Can't really defend much else about him.

Uncle Rotter

May 11, 2010
Kelowna, B.C.
I was certainly no fan of Ziegler, but I thought he got too much blame about that incident.

The NHL suspended Schoenfeld, but the Devils obtained a court injunction on the day of the next game which put him back behind the bench. The scheduled officials for the game walked out in protest.

So the options were a) cancel the game on short notice, which would upset a lot of fans, or b) use replacement officials. It was the lesser of two evils.
He was in London, England at the time.

Reactions: Killion

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
I'd also give him a pass on the '92 strike. Wirtz was the one pulling the strings there. The fact that Ziegler struck a deal to save the season is what got him fired. Wirtz was prepared to have no hockey as long as it took to break the union.

As a young Bruins fan watching very closely in 1988, I know all about “Donutgate,” but I didn’t know about his role in the ‘92 strike.

Now that I’m older, I realize what an evil person Dollar Bill Wirtz was, and am not surprised one bit that he was willing to torpedo the season to break the union. I never really understood what that strike was about. Good on John Ziegler for stepping in to save the season.

Reactions: Tarantula

DNA

Jun 4, 2016
Ziegler was certainly an absentee landlord, I just wish that Bettman was even more distant and hands-off.

In defense of Ziegler, he oversaw what was arguably a Golden Age of hockey: 3 of the greatest dynasties, some of the greatest rivalries, 2 of the Big 4 Greats, an unparalleled international tournament arc, and he did so in a quite respectable 15yrs!

He managed the WHA “merger” with class, poise, and a lack of ego that would put Gary to shame. The 4 franchises brought in were incredibly successful under his watch, and his only franchise failure (California/Cleveland), he saw essentially brought back in as the San Jose Sharks.

Some of the game changes he oversaw (though not necessarily masterminded) would rival any of the other ‘commissioners’: clear-the-zone offsides, 5min OT (with no extra point), video replays, meaningful geographic divisional play, memorable All-Star Games, the awarding of the Selke, Presidents, and Jennings trophies (wisely recasting the Vezina), substantial increases in player salaries and control, not to mention a lack of work stoppages!

RIP John A. Ziegler Jr.

Last edited:

DNA

Jun 4, 2016
Just as an addendum, Ziegler actually presided over the last years and retirements of both Orr & Howe, as well as the first years, and best parts of the careers, of both Gretzky & Lemieux. I wonder if he ever realized that, under his watch, was the apex of the passing of torches of the Big 4 in the history of the Game?

Probably not, but maybe now he’s doing a little bragging to Calder and Campbell, while all 3 are laughing themselves silly as Bettman’s about to join them in the Hall of Fame...

Reactions: rfournier103

Robert Gordon Orr

Dec 3, 2009
Keith "Huffer" Christiansen [1944-2018]

Never played in the NHL, but did play in the WHA and also represented USA in several tournaments, including the 1972 Olympics

Christiansen__Keith_-_HUFFER_2005_large.jpg

Pominville Knows

Sep 28, 2012
Down Under
Ziegler was certainly an absentee landlord, I just wish that Bettman was even more distant and hands-off.

In defense of Ziegler, he oversaw what was arguably a Golden Age of hockey: 3 of the greatest dynasties, some of the greatest rivalries, 2 of the Big 4 Greats, an unparalleled international tournament arc, and he did so in a quite respectable 15yrs!

He managed the WHA “merger” with class, poise, and a lack of ego that would put Gary to shame. The 4 franchises brought in were incredibly successful under his watch, and his only franchise failure (California/Cleveland), he saw essentially brought back in as the San Jose Sharks.

Some of the game changes he oversaw (though not necessarily masterminded) would rival any of the other ‘commissioners’: clear-the-zone offsides, 5min OT (with no extra point), video replays, meaningful geographic divisional play, memorable All-Star Games, the awarding of the Selke, Presidents, and Jennings trophies (wisely recasting the Vezina), substantial increases in player salaries and control, not to mention a lack of work stoppages!

RIP John A. Ziegler Jr.
Are dynasties really good for a game though?

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
There's a nice story in Don Cherry's book about Maloney at the 1976 Canada Cup. He was a last-minute replacement after Marc Tardif couldn't go, and they needed another forward to make six lines for training camp. He was on vacation at the time, but as soon as he got the word he caught the first flight he could and headed over to the camp. Everybody there, including Maloney, knew he had no chance of making the team. But he worked and hustled as hard as he could on the ice, which in turn got the more talented players working harder too.

RIP

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
There's a nice story in Don Cherry's book about Maloney at the 1976 Canada Cup. He was a last-minute replacement after Marc Tardif couldn't go, and they needed another forward to make six lines for training camp. He was on vacation at the time, but as soon as he got the word he caught the first flight he could and headed over to the camp. Everybody there, including Maloney, knew he had no chance of making the team. But he worked and hustled as hard as he could on the ice, which in turn got the more talented players working harder too.

RIP

Oh ya, thanks for sharing that. Have generally fond memories of the guy & yes, recognized his sterling work ethic as a player and Coach. 68. Tad on the young side. Sad......

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
He was quite the force in his prime, which was a bit short; but not forgotten here.

I remember him being part of the Marcel Dionne trade/compensation deal.

I remember him messing with Gil Perreault, and getting punched by Gil, which bloodied his nose. Sabres folklore is that Gil beat up Dan - which never happened.

I remember his fight with Sabres Rookie Bill Stewart, who got the better of Dan. That was basically the highlite of Stewart's career.

Dan Maloney could have played on my team any day.

Thanks for the memories Dan..

ICM1970

Jan 29, 2012
Ottawa, ON
The way Maloney was treated by kindly H Ballard in William Houston's "Inside Maple Leaf Gardens", is not a particularly pleasant portrait, where Ballard insisted on giving Maloney at the most a 1 or 2 year deal, but then gave his GM Gerry McNamara a multi year contract. I recall Houston's comments were to the effect that the spring of 1986 seemed to parallel the one of 1979, where a Leafs team had the potential to go further, but then was forced backward by poor decisions involving coaching changes. In 1979, Roger Neilson was let go and replaced by Punch Imlach and in 1986, Maloney's departure resulted in John Brophy becoming coach.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Yes, sad indeed. With most refs you only knew their name if they were screwing up but it was hard to miss the name of Magoo for a ref if you were of a certain vintage.

RIP

Reactions: Killion

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Not exactly a former NHL-er, but Evgeny Zimin, a longtime Soviet international forward, who won gold two times both at the Olympics (1968, 1972) and World Championships (1969, 1971) and also participated in the 1972 Summit Series, has passed away at the age of 71. In relation to the NHL, he also worked as a scout for the Flyers organization for 19 seasons.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bear of Bad News

Edestrand

Jan 8, 2019
Daryl Edestrand was a journeyman defenseman who put up some pretty good years offensively with Pittsburgh on the mid seventies.

Strong, and a pretty good skater. Not the greatest skill set; though he had a pretty good shot.

I believe he had some shoulder problem on and off too.

He was a personal friend of a acquaintance of my parents, having grown up near him. Otherwise I would only think passingly of him.

RIP Daryl.

I had by chance just come across this today when looking up something. You seem to have a lot to say about someone you don't know but certainly you must have a hockey career yourself correct or you just sit and watch. He must have been doing something right to have the hockey career he had. Your comment of ""otherwise I would think passingly of him"" is rather offensive. Just because your neighbours neighbours, friend knew him does not make you a an expert on knowing him and his life. Next time think of people's family when you feel it necessary to comment on things you know nothing about when they have to read this garbage after they have passed away. A simple RIP would have been respectful to him and his family

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
I had by chance just come across this today when looking up something. You seem to have a lot to say about someone you don't know but certainly you must have a hockey career yourself correct or you just sit and watch. He must have been doing something right to have the hockey career he had. Your comment of ""otherwise I would think passingly of him"" is rather offensive. Just because your neighbours neighbours, friend knew him does not make you a an expert on knowing him and his life. Next time think of people's family when you feel it necessary to comment on things you know nothing about when they have to read this garbage after they have passed away. A simple RIP would have been respectful to him and his family

The fact someone had a career in the NHL, garners my respect. If you get the sense I was disrespectful, then you missed my point. Sorry for your loss.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->