In Memoriam Former pro hockey player/management deaths (Chris Simon, Konstantin Koltsov)

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Sad to hear that original Winnipeg Jets captain Ab McDonald has passed away at age 82.

Winnipeg hockey legend Ab McDonald dead at 82 | CBC News

:jets

Oh dear. 82. Pretty good long innings though.... Remember him as a dynamo on the Skooter Line in Chicago with Stan Mikita & Kenny Wharram. Part of the 61 Cup Winning Team & apparently the highlight of his career from his perspective based on an interview he gave that I read somewhere..... He'd originally been Habs property, called up to replace Olmstead during Montreals great Dynasty of the late 50's.... assigned to the 4th line, developing into a really good two way player. Part of 3 Cups. But the one he cherished the most was the one he won in Chicago playing on the 2nd line, getting lots of ice time, feeling better about it as a major contributor as he was getting loads of ice time. No idea why they traded him in 64 along with Reggie Fleming for Dough Mohns but thereafter things got a bit hairy for the guy.... Overall though, here a player who in the 1st 4 years of his NHL career won the SC 4X's... overall playing in 8 SC Final Series with 4 different teams. Montreal, Chicago, Detroit & St.Louis... not too shabby uh? R.I.P. old timer, done good.

Reactions: DowntownBooster

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
Statement issued today by the Winnipeg Jets on the passing of Ab McDonald.

Winnipeg Jets statement on the passing of Ab McDonald

cut.jpeg

October 15, 1972 - ceremonial face-off between Ab McDonald of the Winnipeg Jets and Al Hamilton of the Alberta Oilers for the first ever regular season home game for the Jets. Jack McKeag (Lieutenant-Governor of Manitoba) prepares to drop the puck.

:jets

Teemu

Caffeine Free Since 1919
Dec 3, 2002
All three members of the Scooter Line gone since the start of 2017

Robert Gordon Orr

Dec 3, 2009
R.I.P. Danny Lewicki [1931-2018]
Played almost 500 NHL games in the 1950s.

danny-lewicki-toronto-maple-leafs-public-autograph-signingpng-1534455688279.png

Two other NHL'ers who died earlier in the year:

Jacques Deslauriers [1928-2018]

latest

Last edited by a moderator:

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
if they could find him of course

He was also famous for being MIA when some stuff happened and no one knew where he was

Eaglesons London Town House in Chelsea channeling Hugh Hefner perhaps?... Yeah thats right I said it people. And yes, normally very respectful of the recently dearly departed but in this case.... ya, not so much.

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004
Eaglesons London Town House in Chelsea channeling Hugh Hefner perhaps?... Yeah thats right I said it people. And yes, normally very respectful of the recently dearly departed but in this case.... ya, not so much.

I think for the most egregious example he was down in Barbados or the Bahamas or something.

The origin of many of the major issues related to the NHL, Ziegler should be far more contentious with the modern audience than he is, though I guess being out of the public eye for 25 years will do that.

Reactions: Killion

ICM1970

Jan 29, 2012
Ottawa, ON
He who had that good bit to do with what happened to the Detroit Red Wings in the 1970s (qualifying for the playoffs only twice in that decade). One story I read was that Ziegler (as a young executive working with Bruce Norris in the running of that team) cut the scouting travel budget that good bit, so the scouts were not able to effectively compare young prospects and that in turn was a reason why Detroit drafted so poorly during those years. And it was not until about 1983 and 1984 did Detroit finally have a decent nucleus of young draftees like Stevie Y, Probie, Klima, Oates, Zombo, Burr, Kocur, Gallant, and others as Jim Devellano made that a priority in rebuilding the club under the Illitch ownership.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Anyone else think that Ziegler looked a bit like JFK?

Yeah. Square head & jaw line, hair. Button downs or french cuffs, Bass Weejuns.... Old money Frat Boy look about him. Landed Gentry. Superficial, vacuous, deceptive, arrogant. Closet full of ugly secrets. Reptilian.

Uh? Want more? Just getting started. Ive been posting mainly elsewhere of late, considerable number of former pro players engaged, what Ive just stated mild in comparison to what theyve had to say about the guy upon the announcement of his passing. To this day despised, held in contempt by a good many of them.

Last edited:

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
He did exactly what Bill Wirtz wanted and survived 15 years until Jacobs had seen enough.

Jacobs never forgot the fiasco of the 1988 playoffs when Ziegler could not be found

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
I’m curious: what made Ziegler such a bad president? I’ve read tons of books, but come to think of it, not many really mention Ziegler much at all.

He was a bit before my time (started following in 94, or so my dad tells me).

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
I’m curious: what made Ziegler such a bad president? I’ve read tons of books, but come to think of it, not many really mention Ziegler much at all.

He was a bit before my time (started following in 94, or so my dad tells me).

The SportsChannel TV debacle where they took more money even though that network has less viewers than ESPN after getting good traction on cable TV in 1986-1987-1988. It might have been worse than even the OLN 2005-06 year and early VERSUS

1988 Schoenfeld Have Another Donut Referee playoff fiasco

A conference finals game with REPLACEMENT referees

1992 in-season strike over TRADING CARDS

Blues nearly move to Saskatoon under his watch and did not participate in the 1983 draft

Nearly allowed a Leafs/Oilers city swap in 1981 that might have gone through had Ballard not backed off

Reactions: Uncle Rotter

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->