Boston Bruins In Bruins history May 10th represents “It was the best of times, it was the worst of times"

Discussion in 'Boston Bruins' started by Fenway, May 10, 2019.

1. Fenway

Fenway Administrator Sponsor

40 years ago today one of the worst nights in Bruins history occurred in Montréal. Depending on a fan's age that night was just as crushing as 17 seconds would be in 2013. To the younger generation of Boston sports fans, it felt exactly like Game 7 of the ALCS in 2003 when the Red Sox had a stranglehold over the Yankees and it slipped away in as cruel a way as possible.

upload_2019-5-10_8-14-3.png

Three Little Words: Too Many Men

To this day I have no idea how we survived the drive back through the mountains after that game. All I remember is we staggered into the Red Arrow Diner in Manchester around 6 AM and the waitress looked at us and remarked 'You guys look like you had a hard night. I held up a Montreal newspaper and she gasped 'YOU WERE THERE???" - I'm buying your breakfast.

But exactly 9 years earlier on May 10, 1970, we experienced the best of times. :stanley:

Fenian24, sooshii and BMC like this.
  2. Number8

Number8 HFBoards Sponsor Sponsor

We moved to America in the summer of 1970. As a young boy I remember the buzz about the Bruins that year and very quickly grew to know and love the truly Big Bad Bruins.

Fortunately (and unfortunately) that means I will never never ever forget May 10, 1979.

It's why last night was so frustrating (love the win!!). It's the closest thing to playing the Habs circa late 70's and 80's I've experienced for a while.

Cheap, nasty, sneaky play. And refs that certainly for the first two periods appeared to be watching something completely different from what I was.

The Kuraly penalty was so Boston/Montreal of that time period. Cane (Hab) comes in with a cheap and sneaky elbow to face. Bruin responds with a gloved punch to face that you see in every scrum of every series in playoffs. Ref misses dirty elbow and overreacts to the response. Two minutes for roughing. 30 seconds later the game is tied because Canes (Habs) scored on the powerplay. Then to top it all off Canes (Habs) Coach whines about getting bad calls against his team in the post game presser -- lobbying for even better treatment than they got last night which was extraordinarily generous to begin with.

The parallels are incredible and now I have a better feel for why I was so angry and frustrated watching that game last night. Love the outcome, but I despise that Canes team.

sarge88, HockeyMomx2, sooshii and 7 others like this.
  3. TCB

TCB Registered User

HABHATER
  4. Number8

Number8 HFBoards Sponsor Sponsor

By the way Fenway -- thanks for raising my bloodpressure this morning!:laugh:

Too many men.
    17 seconds in 2013.
    2003 ACLS......

Now to be fair, you did mention May 10, 1970 and also did have the decency not to bring up Billy Buckner. But in general, I think I'm a little elevated and will have to go meditate for a while!!!!:laugh::laugh::laugh:

BMC and Alicat like this.
  5. Bruinfanatic

Bruinfanatic Registered User

I remember it well.

6. Bruinfanatic

Did use catch that video during the game last night of the guy who was at the game ,he had a seat right behind the glass where Orr scored.He showed the picture off Orr scoring,and an empty seat behind him,It was his seat ,he had gone to the bathroom and missed the goal.Man who goes to the bathroom during OT ,especially when it’s for the cup,I would have been peeing in a cup.Lol

BMC and TCB like this.
  7. Boston Bandit

Boston Bandit Registered User

8. Fenway

Was that on CBC?

9. Bruinfanatic

Yeah

10. Fenway

I can feel this mans pain 49 years later

11. aguineapig

aguineapig Registered User

After Bobby scored in OT my brothers and I raised a glass of Dr. Pepper and ran out to the driveway to grab our Mylec street hockey gear to recreate "The Goal". Being youngest meant i was Glenn Hall in net, minus a mask. The street hockey ball was passed to the side of garage door, then back out front to older bro who unlike Bobby's quick redirect wrister, wound up with his Bobby Hull banana curve stick and stung a high rise half slapper which caught me square in the kisser. Blood gushed from my split lip, and i threw the goalie stick and first baseman's mitt to the ground and ran in the house bawling, spitting blood in the kitchen sink and Mom screaming " I told you somebody would get hurt swinging those damn sticks around like that!" But the Cup and Bobby were ours, and the hard fought battle for Cup was punctuated by that fat lip

12. aguineapig

So on the opposite day, I was at my friend Leon's house to watch Game 7 vs Hab's up in the house of horrors, The Forum. The night started quite well as Leon had bags full of chicken nuggets he obtained from his Uncle's take out and his Mom had this deep fry pressure cooker that was pretty impressive for the times as no one had even had a notion as to what a microwave was. So far so good, up 3-1 after two periods but here we go again Habs net two to tie. But Nifty scores with under 5 to go and Gillie is stopping everything as Habs were coming at us with what Johnny Pierson would always refer to as a "firewagon brand of hockey."Then it all went to hell. Bob Meyers, the Ghosts of the Forum and too many men. The rest is of course is well documented. But these are the memories that are attached to that night for myself and i think if them every time i eat a damn chicken nugget

sarge88 and sooshii like this.
  13. Fenian24

Fenian24 Registered User

I dont remember 70, I was a bit too young, but I will never, ever forget that feeling in 79. I knew Cherry was gone and Sinden had won. Bruins history changed forever that day,and not for the better.

14. aguineapig

The thing about 70 was the Finals were but a foregone conclusion for the most part as the West was all 67 expansion teams. The Hawks and B's tied in East with 99 pts each the Hawks with the Hull Bros, Mikita,Pit Martin, Tony Esposito in net were a formidable foe. But Steady Eddie Westfall , Derek and Swoop Carleton shot down the Golden Jet holding him to two assists as B's swept them and kept brooms ready as they swept Blues for the Cup

rfournier103 likes this.
  15. WestCoastBruinsFan

WestCoastBruinsFan Registered User

Great story. That goal was probably why a young kid like myself,living in Ontario at the time, became a lifelong Bruins fan. The rest of my family are Leafs fans.

rfournier103 likes this.
  16. rfournier103

rfournier103 There Is No Substitute For Victory. Sponsor

I’m too young to remember either game. I was born in ‘74 and only 4 years old in May of ‘79.

I’m not sure where “The Goal” fits in the pantheon of Greatest Boston Sports Moments... maybe @Fenway can give us his top five. That being said, Orr’s famous goal has got to be the greatest moment in Boston Bruins history. Hands down.

Despite my “tender” age, I’m pretty confident in saying that the too many men on the ice game was the worst day in Bruins history. It is also, in my opinion, one of the top three Boston sports disasters of all time with Game 6 of the ‘86 World Series and Super Bowl XLII. I’m not counting Len Bias or Reggie Lewis - I’m only counting on-field losses. Those are in a completely different category.

Also, I happen to think that Orr’s Cup clinching goal in 1970 was the greatest in NHL history.

It’s also my opinion that the too many men on the ice game is the greatest NHL game ever. I detest the result, but that game and that series had a drama that I’ve never seen in my time as a fan. Although I was too young to be emotionally invested in the series, it still reverberates today and I almost feel like I was there.

There was a thread in the history of hockey section that pondered who would have had the better career had they remained healthy: Bobby Orr or Mario Lemieux. I made a case for Orr, and used the 1979 Semifinal as an example. It’s the post I’m proudest of, and since I don’t know how to link to it, I’ll quote it here:

May 10 giveth.

May 10 taketh away.

Bergyesque likes this.