In 2017 Rasmus Dahlin was called "The McDavid/Eichel for defencemen" agree or disagree?

Is Rasmus Dahlin "The McDavid/Eichel" for defencemen

• Total voters

Dr Salt

Bedard saved me
Feb 26, 2019
ym
I feel like people are looking too much into his points totals, but he certainly has the potential to be the best defenseman in hockey. In terms of this season, I feel like there's some young d-man outplaying him in the all-around two-way game and especially on the defensive side.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
While defensemen typically peak in their late 20s, I do think he was a little overhyped.

He's played well in his 1.5 seasons, but has not separated himself from the pack (Makar, Hughes etc)

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
I heard Hedman, some Buffalo fans were screaming "generational" saying he was already better than most NHL #1 D. I'll cut them some slack. I know first hand how silly fans can get with a #1 pick who is a rare talent. We did, Oiler fans did it. And we've all made HF sick of them :P

He's going to be amazing that much is clear.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Aside from the odd looney bin, McDavid and Eichel were not considered equal.

Dahlin was slightly edging out Matthews in HF polls IIRC, who is in the same tier as Eichel.

People were definitely calling him 'generational', but that word is used correctly about as often as 'ironically' is.

lauraP

Aug 4, 2019
at the time people were saying hedman. generational gets brought up because he played in the nhl at 18 and is climbing up the all time leader list for teenage defencemen. which some would deemed generational.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
One has nothing to do with the other, the other has nothing to do with the other

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
While defensemen typically peak in their late 20s, I do think he was a little overhyped.

He's played well in his 1.5 seasons, but has not separated himself from the pack (Makar, Hughes etc)

Hes played a season and a half and hes goingt o be the second highest scoring teenager in history. The leader playing in by far the highest scoring era of history. I think hes going to be a generational dman, not to the level of McDavid but thats also because forwards and dmen dominate the game differently and lower point totals mean less fan fare.

I think Makar is an absolute stud and will probably be Canadas top dman next olympics if NHLers go, but if Dahlin was running that PP compared to Buffalo he probably has an extra 8-10 points this year.

We havent seen a guy hit the ice running on D like Dahlin has in a long time. If there was a guy in the last 20 years who I would bet on to win a bunch of Norrises it would pretty easily be him. I could see him winning 4 pretty easily. Hes already top 15ish in scoring on a team with very little help

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I remember when he was supposedly regressing because he had a bad 10 games, which certain fans tried to remind us about weeks later to prop up another player.

Reactions: AB13

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
Hard to vote on this pole. Do I think he’s going to be McDavid we’re he is the odds on favourite to be the top in his position every year? No. Do I think he’s going to be Eichel a top ten most years in his position and sometimes top 3? Yes.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Hard to vote on this pole. Do I think he’s going to be McDavid we’re he is the odds on favourite to be the top in his position every year? No. Do I think he’s going to be Eichel a top ten most years in his position and sometimes top 3? Yes.

Ouch. Yeah, that does definitely sound like an uncomfortable position to vote from.

Leonhard Euler

Mar 5, 2018
While being younger than Eichel in his rookie year he scored only 12 less points from the position of defenceman and being OK enough defensively at the same time. I'd say yes to that for sure. There's a big difference between McDavid and Eichel though so I'm not sure what the deal with that.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
If I had the choice to add one player to my team, it would be McDavid. My second choice would be Dahlin.

Yeah he's up there.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
Go look at what Hedman did his first couple seasons. Dahlin will likely be a tier above Eichel and a tier below McDavid.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018

Well actually he has in a way in that he has played in the NHL right from the get go at age 18.

He was seen as probably the best defenseman prospect since Potvin and while injuries have slowed him down a little bit he hasn't really disappointed given his age.

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
Go look at what Hedman did his first couple seasons. Dahlin will likely be a tier above Eichel and a tier below McDavid.
There is not a tier in between Eichel and McDavid... he's a top 10 scorer in the league, on the rise and on pace to hit the century mark this season. He's in that Pat Kane/Malkin/Matthews/Panarin tier, right below McDavid.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
There is not a tier in between Eichel and McDavid... he's a top 10 scorer in the league, on the rise and on pace to hit the century mark this season. He's in that Pat Kane/Malkin/Matthews/Panarin tier, right below McDavid.

There is easily a tier between Eichel and McDavid. This is the only season where Eichel has been anywhere near McDavid but even then McDavid is easily ahead.

McDavidCrushedLarkin

Jun 12, 2016

There's a couple tiers between McDavid and Eichel/Matthews. Maybe less so for Eichel than Matthews but lets not get carried away here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->