Speculation: In 15 days we have to get serious about signing a center (or 2)

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
We have to replace Bozak, Moore, and Plekanic and this will certainly be Dubas' big moment (after the draft).

Does Dubas attack the UFA market, trade at the draft, or go within the organization:

Lindholm
The Goat
Brooks
Aaltonen

If not these guys, which UFA would you like?

BM14

Dec 7, 2012
GTA
Bozak isn't a big loss and Aaltonen will be up to replace Turtleneck.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Smith has already gone to the DEL, but the 4C job should be an internal one.

I still think 3C should be Nylander.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
1. Matthews
2. Nylander
3. Kadri
4. Lindholm/Aaltonen/Gauthier

Marleau can play center in a pinch.

I would sign Tavares because he's amazing. I would sign someone to play #4 center if the 3 I mentioned aren't good enough. I wouldn't sign any other centers because I would like to go with Matthews/Nylander/Kadri.

Nylander is a center. He's way better as a center than a winger. He's gonna be a real good #2 center for us.

Reactions: Mork

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
jay beagle if he doesn't re-sign with the caps
ditto with riley nash

Sure. We need to replace a 50 point player like Bozak with 2 20 point a year career players (one who got lucky this year), neither of whom will be able to keep up with our 3rd line speedsters. Great idea! Might as well resign Moore.

Reactions: Darcy Tucker

Leafsman

I guess $11M doesn't buy you what it use to
May 22, 2008
This may sound crazy but I would replace Bozak @ $4.2M with Bozak at somewhere around $4.2M.

I've never minded having Bozak as a center on the team, though never agreed with having him as the 1C. But Bozak as the 3C at 3 yrs/$4-$4.5M per, I can get behind that.

Johnsson/Kappy-Bozak-Brown wouldn't be a bad third line.

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
WRONG! Sign Tavares or run this:

Johnsson-Matthews-Marner
Grundstrom-Kadri-Hyman
Marleau-Nylander-Kapanen
Leivo-Aaltonen-Brown

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Sure. We need to replace a 50 point player like Bozak with 2 20 point a year career players (one who got lucky this year), neither of whom will be able to keep up with our 3rd line speedsters. Great idea! Might as well resign Moore.
The free agent market for centres is weak. Other than Tavares, Thornton and stastny, who aren't signing here, there's no one that's a 3C other than Riley Nash and Tyler bozak

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Leafs could insert Marlies top Calder winning line as their 4th line next year ..

Johnsson (Calder MVP) -- Aaltonen -- -Grundstrom

So the Leafs realistically need a 3rd line Centre unless the plan is to relocate Nylander to the middle.

Reactions: Leafsman

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
We don't really have to. Nylander as a 3C is an option I'm very comfortable with, and I'm almost as comfortable letting Lindholm and Aaltonen battle it out for the #4C spot. If we went into next season not adding another center option, I'd be a bit underwhelmed but not the least worried.

On the other hand, I'd be very worried if we didn't address the RD situation. Convince Bergevin that Leivo can play center, and that we'll trade him for a measly Petry.

Hunter74

Sep 21, 2004
Nylander and Hyman used to be great linemates in the AHL when Nylander played center.

Hyman can really help out in covering for Nylanders shortcomings on the defensive side.

Johnson-Matthews-Brown
Kapanen-kadri-Marner
Marleau-Nylander-Hyman
Grundstrom-Aaltonen- Martin/Leivo/whoever

Rielly-
Dermott-Zaitsev
Hainsey-
Carrick/Holl/Marincin/whoever

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Nylander and Hyman used to be great linemates in the AHL when Nylander played center.

Hyman can really help out in covering for Nylanders shortcomings on the defensive side.

Johnson-Matthews-Brown
Kapanen-kadri-Marner
Marleau-Nylander-Hyman
Grundstrom-Aaltonen- Martin/Leivo/whoever

Rielly-
Dermott-Zaitsev
Hainsey-
Carrick/Holl/Marincin/whoever

If Nylander is moves to Centre I could see Hyman being a good fit on his wing. Though I suspect he’d also like to play with Kapanen too

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
Aaltonen is not babcocks ideal 4th line center, so I'd be shocked if he ends up there.

His defensive game is not good enough.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
Leafs could insert Marlies top Calder winning line as their 4th line next year ..

Johnsson (Calder MVP) -- Aaltonen -- -Grundstrom

So the Leafs realistically need a 3rd line Centre unless the plan is to relocate Nylander to the middle.

Why not insert them as their 3rd line?

Reactions: Critical

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
Aaltonen is not babcocks ideal 4th line center, so I'd be shocked if he ends up there.

His defensive game is not good enough.

Babcock is used to icing non-ideal 4th line centers. After all, what was the team doing with Ben Smith and broken down geezers like Moore and Plekanec there.

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
Babcock is used to icing non-ideal 4th line centers. After all, what was the team doing with Ben Smith and broken down geezers like Moore and Plekanec there.
Sure, but theres a reason Moore was on the team over Aaltonen and why they felt the need to trade a 2nd for plekanec instead of bringing him up

Reactions: iSophagus

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->