In 13 seasons together - only once did Crosby and Malkin both finish top 9 in scoring

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
There's only so much scoring/opportunity to go around, especially when players are on different lines.
It's more they haven't been able to both stay healthy at the same time for most of their careers. They're #1 and #2 in points per game since they've both been in the league (not counting Mcdavid).

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
If he doesn't have good goal totals means his point totals aren't that high. Pretty easily figured out by the post i made.

I don't know boss. You may know best but 4 of the 8 times he finished in the top 10, he didn't win the Richard. 3 of the times he won the Richard, he wasn't in the top 10.

I am not sure what we are arguing about. If a playmaker has a poor assist season, he isn't high in the points either. Your point was that goal scorers wouldn't be in the top 10 in points very much. 8 times so far see a lot more than not much.

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
There's only so much scoring/opportunity to go around, especially when players are on different lines.

It is just rarely both of them playing a lot of games, after Malkin Rookie season they both played over 70 game only 2 time, the 2 time are the 2 season the OP is talking about.

Would they have both played 75 games or more often, it would have happened often.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
8 times so far with 1 Art Ross isn't that much?

To be clear i didn't say Ovechkin didn't finish top 10 often - I said I wouldn't even expect him to (ie it's impressive that he's done it so often, despite being a goal-scorer first).

If you want a better comparable to Crosby/Malkin - don't look at the Caps duo - I think Sakic/Forsberg makes more sense. 2 elite centers (probably less so than Crosby/Malkin though) - played their primes on the same team, and often also dealing with injuries (especially Forsberg).

Sakic/Forsberg finished 3x in the top 9 in scoring at the same time, compared to only once to Crosby/Malkin.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
It has been uncanny how many partial seasons Malkin has played. Only five of his thirteen seasons can be reasonably called full ones. For all his injury issues, Crosby has ten full seasons.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
It has been uncanny how many partial seasons Malkin has played. Only five of his thirteen seasons can be reasonably called full ones. For all his injury issues, Crosby has ten full seasons.

Crosby really hasn't had that many injuries. Just the 2 that he had, happened to be really major and or misdiagnosed. The concussion and then the concussion/neck problem that was diagnosed as a concussion.

Reactions: TheTang58

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I suppose in terms of ppg finishes its a lot closer.

7x they both finishes top 10. 8 if you include Crosby in 2012 (only 22 games).

And yes of course - health is a big reason why. I still find it surprising that they havent both finished higher in the scoring at the same time more often.

Not sure why it's so surprising considering the injury time missed (particularly Malkin since 2010) means one or the other won't play enough games to finish in the top 10 in points.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Being and staying healthy is no longer seen as a good thing.

Its all about the oh but did you see his points per games wow so amazing.

Lemiuex might have been the better player between he and gretzky but lemiuex is no where close to gretzky when it comes to the greatest of all time because he just couldn't stay on the ice long enough to challenge him.

Way too generalized. Kessel never misses a game because he doesn’t hit, block shots, engage in puck battles. Is he better than a similar player who does but misses time due to injury?

Reactions: Trade and TheTang58

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Bunch of rookies. Leon and Connor did it twice...

Varan

Nov 27, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
Not sure if we're looking at different things but here's what I have for their PPG finishes. Obviously this ignores the fact that Sid only played 22 games in 11/12

YearSidGeno
05/066
06/07119
07/0823
08/0932
09/1048
10/11137
11/1212
12/13114
13/1412
14/1517
15/1645
16/1724
17/18133
18/19524
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
OP: They've finished in the top 8 together in 8 of 13 seasons.
I just used Malkin's PPG and projected his point totals from it had he played all 82 games in the seasons where he missed a ton of time.

Varan

Nov 27, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
If you give Malkin 82 games, you need to give everyone else 82 games like MacKinnon in 17/18. That changes a few of his 2nd places.
fair enough, but the point still stands. had he played all 82, he definitely has more T-10, T-5 finishes alongside Crosby

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
With Malkin recently suffering a supposed long-term injury, I thought I might bump this thread.

I was looking at Crosby's records vs Malkins - and one thing that jumps out is this:

The seasons in which Malkin missed the most games are:

2011, 2014, 2013, 2016, 2017, 2010, 2019. Pretty sure that's in order of most to least missed games. The crazy part is, outside of 2007 (Malkin's rookie season), an argument can be made that Crosby's best season are, in order:

2011, 2014, 2013, 2017, 2010, 2016, 2019.

All of Crosby's best individual seasons are those in which Malkin misses the most game. And there's almost a direct correlation to how good a season Crosby has to how many games Malkin missed. Outside of 2016, it's practically in exact same order.

I wonder if this means we can expect to see Crosby have another strong season this year, especially if Malkin ends up missing a lot of time.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Being and staying healthy is no longer seen as a good thing.

Its all about the oh but did you see his points per games wow so amazing.

Lemiuex might have been the better player between he and gretzky but lemiuex is no where close to gretzky when it comes to the greatest of all time because he just couldn't stay on the ice long enough to challenge him.
uhh mario being injured / sick is why its a debate.

the could have / would have is why its a top 3 with orr and lemuiex and not just the great one

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
I’m not sure if there is a direct correlation, but Crosby seems to start shooting a hell of a lot more when Malkin goes down. He goes from more of the playmaker to knowing that the team will need more scoring help with him not there.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
I’m not sure if there is a direct correlation, but Crosby seems to start shooting a hell of a lot more when Malkin goes down. He goes from more of the playmaker to knowing that the team will need more scoring help with him not there.
im pretty sure the correlation is probably due to him coming back from injury and working on his shot while injured.

idk why it would effect anything else unless he takes malkins high bumper spot on the powerplay when he is out , where malkin scores a lot of goals being a shooting option while crosby is a net rover

maybe a mental thing where if the other guy is out they play with more desperation ?

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
im pretty sure the correlation is probably due to him coming back from injury and working on his shot while injured.

idk why it would effect anything else unless he takes malkins high bumper spot on the powerplay when he is out , where malkin scores a lot of goals being a shooting option while crosby is a net rover

maybe a mental thing where if the other guy is out they play with more desperation ?

Oh of course, that's obvious. When Crosby has been out, Malkin has stepped up, and vice versa. Both great players so usually have the ability to dig a little deeper when needed. It's still pretty crazy the correlation between Malkin's most game missed and Crosby's best seasons, it's like it directly lines up.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Obviously they're both HOF locks and franchise icons with 3 cups, but with both of them don't you feel a there's around 15-20% of their career stats that was lost due to injury?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad