Coaches: Improving the first minutes of matches

Azdinator

Jun 29, 2005
France
Hello Everyone,

I recently started to coach an adult floorball team (I agree that this is not ice hockey but still very similar in the approch of line/strategy/drills managements).

Last year (i was only spectator of this team), i have observed that most of the matches were lost during the first minutes, oftenly trailing by 3 or 4 goals after the end of the first period.
This is what happened during our first game this season, 3-0 after 10min of play, then i called the timeout to reset everything and we were very competitive during the next 50min ending the game 4-1 (so 1-1 in the next 50 min and the opponent did his best during the rest of the match also, we did comeback at 3-1 before taking the 4th goal)

It looks like i have really underestimate this attribute of this team to not start matches correctly even if they can compete , as this is recurent since last year it seems that it's more something related to confidence and mindset than technics and tactics.

Then my question is do you have any experience of similar case of team that doesn't start matches at their level ? even in other sports. And do you have any tips or advice to improve that area ? I'm thinking of adapting warmup drills before the match ? what would you suggest ?

Many thanks!

puckpilot

Oct 23, 2016
I'm not a coach, but here's my personal philosophy on pregame. If you want to start off well, you have to warm up physically and mentally.

Physically is simple, stickhandling balls, jogging in place, anything to get the legs moving and generate a little sweat. I do these things in the dressing room before I get onto the ice.

Mentally, for me, when I'm getting dressed for the game and warming up physically, I think about what I want to do. I think about things I didn't do well last game and what I want to do to address those things in this game. I think about what I want to do on the first shift. It's usually really simple, get the puck deep, get my legs moving, and try not to make any high risk plays. I want to get a feel for the game before I try anything risky.

Also during the five minute "warm up" time before the game starts, I go into that with a purpose. I don't just skate circles and shoot the puck aimlessly. I have one or two very specific things I want to do during that time. For me, it's usually getting a feel for the puck and getting a good feel for snapping shots off at my favorite areas, and/or doing a couple of quick skating drills to get a better feel for my edges.

Any way, my 2 cents.

Azdinator

Jun 29, 2005
France
Thanks for the reply, what i start to consider based on your experience is :
- intensify a little bit the warmup
- request to focus more personally, and keep the first shift safe in order to get into the match.

This goes a little bit on my first feelings but very open to have other feedbacks !

lilphildub

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2009
I'm not a coach, but here's my personal philosophy on pregame. If you want to start off well, you have to warm up physically and mentally.

Physically is simple, stickhandling balls, jogging in place, anything to get the legs moving and generate a little sweat. I do these things in the dressing room before I get onto the ice.

Mentally, for me, when I'm getting dressed for the game and warming up physically, I think about what I want to do. I think about things I didn't do well last game and what I want to do to address those things in this game. I think about what I want to do on the first shift. It's usually really simple, get the puck deep, get my legs moving, and try not to make any high risk plays. I want to get a feel for the game before I try anything risky.

Also during the five minute "warm up" time before the game starts, I go into that with a purpose. I don't just skate circles and shoot the puck aimlessly. I have one or two very specific things I want to do during that time. For me, it's usually getting a feel for the puck and getting a good feel for snapping shots off at my favorite areas, and/or doing a couple of quick skating drills to get a better feel for my edges.

Any way, my 2 cents.

I agree with this completely. Whenever I get stuck in the locker room because of equipment or show up late, it takes me a while to catch up physically and mentally in a game. I need at least a good 5-10 minutes of warm up, stick handling, getting my feet under me to really be ready.

Reactions: daddyohsix

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad