Improvements to North Station and TD Garden taking shape

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
16 years ago

southcoasttoday.com

WILMINGTON -- Boston Bruins owner Jeremy Jacobs said yesterday that his team's ticket prices are too high and he hopes the next collective bargaining agreement with players will keep them from rising again.

The current labor contract expires next September. NHL commissioner Gary Bettman has indicated that owners need a way to contain salaries that now cost them 75 percent of their revenue.

The Bruins increased ticket prices for the coming season by an average of 2 percent to — percent. Their $99 top price is one of the lowest in the league Bruins spokeswoman Heidi Holland said.

"Ticket prices are too darn high. Our prices are high. We've been chasing away the fans with it over the last couple of years" Jacobs said. "For every dollar that we've increased ticket prices we've spent more than two on a player.

"So we recognize we've got a problem. I hope that the commissioner in the next CBA is able to reach an agreement that allows us to stabilize the ticket prices and perhaps even lower them because I think we are chasing away a lot of our ticket base."

OA20t6.gif

We honestly were the Oakland A's of the NHL looking up to the Red Wings like the Rays look up to the Red Sox.

Can't believe the bungle of the first lockout JJ orchestrated (and having noone under contract for the rollback i.e. Gonchar/Thornton/Nylander for 70 cents on the dollar) didn't set the team back decades.

Fenway in your opinion how much better is the current TV deal than what the NHL had during the Outdoor Living Network days adjusted for inflation and everything (but not in comparison to the other 3 sports of course?) It was sort of ingraned in us that it was peanuts and payroll had to be met with ticket/hot dog sales.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
We honestly were the Oakland A's of the NHL looking up to the Red Wings like the Rays look up to the Red Sox.

Can't believe the bungle of the first lockout JJ orchestrated (and having noone under contract for the rollback i.e. Gonchar/Thornton/Nylander for 70 cents on the dollar) didn't set the team back decades.

Fenway in your opinion how much better is the current TV deal than what the NHL had during the Outdoor Living Network days adjusted for inflation and everything (but not in comparison to the other 3 sports of course?) It was sort of ingraned in us that it was peanuts and payroll had to be met with ticket/hot dog sales.

Since 2012 the NHL gets $200M a year from NBC - Bettman went for a 10-year deal worth 2 billion.

The NHL’s cable TV agreement is with Comcast, which owns OLN. It calls for a rights fee of $65 million this season and $70 million in 2006-07, with a 2007-08 option-year rights fee of at least $72.5 million.

The NHL is still geared for local TV contracts - that is where the money is.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
16 years ago

southcoasttoday.com

WILMINGTON -- Boston Bruins owner Jeremy Jacobs said yesterday that his team's ticket prices are too high and he hopes the next collective bargaining agreement with players will keep them from rising again.

The current labor contract expires next September. NHL commissioner Gary Bettman has indicated that owners need a way to contain salaries that now cost them 75 percent of their revenue.

The Bruins increased ticket prices for the coming season by an average of 2 percent to — percent. Their $99 top price is one of the lowest in the league Bruins spokeswoman Heidi Holland said.

"Ticket prices are too darn high. Our prices are high. We've been chasing away the fans with it over the last couple of years" Jacobs said. "For every dollar that we've increased ticket prices we've spent more than two on a player.

"So we recognize we've got a problem. I hope that the commissioner in the next CBA is able to reach an agreement that allows us to stabilize the ticket prices and perhaps even lower them because I think we are chasing away a lot of our ticket base."

OA20t6.gif

I suggest you put “16 years today” in larger font, because I just had a very confusing few minutes for myself. :laugh:

To speak on the point of the article, I find it insane that anyone ever thinks there is an ounce of truth when an owner of a business talks about sympathy for prices being too high for their intended customers. Owners want the most money that they can get out of people. Period.

For all the bitching and moaning citizens of this country do about being gouged by the public sector with taxes, there still isn’t nearly enough attention paid to how large businesses are swallowing up more and more tangible and intangible real estate, having the ability to gouge the average citizen at every turn and funnel all transactional revenue away from individuals and to the top of huge corporations.

I digress.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
I suggest you put “16 years today” in larger font, because I just had a very confusing few minutes for myself. :laugh:

To speak on the point of the article, I find it insane that anyone ever thinks there is an ounce of truth when an owner of a business talks about sympathy for prices being too high for their intended customers. Owners want the most money that they can get out of people. Period.

For all the *****ing and moaning citizens of this country do about being gouged by the public sector with taxes, there still isn’t nearly enough attention paid to how large businesses are swallowing up more and more tangible and intangible real estate, having the ability to gouge the average citizen at every turn and funnel all transactional revenue away from individuals and to the top of huge corporations.

I digress.

The difference between taxes and private businesses is, private businesses don't take your money at the point of a gun.

Reactions: BMC and Chief Nine

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
What does Columbus charge for tickets? How about the non traditional hockey markets? Detroit? These teams all pay players big salaries but don't gouge like JJ has his whole time as owner in Boston. Jacobs has been, and always will be, a throw back to the old school owners, the Norris', Ballard, Arthur and Bill Wirtz.
Don't think if the new cap was set at 20 million with a max contract of 2 million that prices would drop, JJ would find some excuse to extort every penny he can from his fan base.

Thats ridiculous.

It is and always will be supply and demand.
Thats what sets prices.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Thats ridiculous.

Thats what sets prices.
Red Wings still sell out every game, Tampa sells out, plenty of demand there, why does JJ have the third highest priced average tickets in the US? Why has Boston always been one of the most expensive tickets in the United States? $222.00 average ticket price.

Vegas, Nashville, Minnesota, Pittsburgh, Tampa, all sold out every game this year, all played to over 100% capacity with SRO tickets, supply and demand there but lower ticket prices. Chicago had the highest attendance and their tickets are more expensive but otherwise until you get to Carolina, Florida, Arizona and the nomadic Islanders every US based team played to over 82 percent capacity and more than 14,500 fans a night, even NJ. 23 play in newer arenas.

Jacobs is cheap, he always has been and always will be, he will squeeze every nickel he can out of every fan, whether by a new means of saving money on printing tickets or charging more for parking, tickets, concessions, whatever.

They spend to the cap most of the time is the only positive change over the years, the decades of being the Montreal Expos of hockey have stopped, but only because people stopped going.

Reactions: rfournier103

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Thats ridiculous.

Thats what sets prices.

Amen. Tickets, beers, hot dogs, whatever it may be, are all worth whatever people will pay.

I think the ticket prices are too high for me personally. But that’s just for me and my budget and what i can/will reasonably spend on entertainment. Clearly prices haven’t even topped out yet since they continue to sell out, and i can tell you that concessions sales have risen as well

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
When corporations take control to the point where there are no alternatives...of course they do.

No, they don't. Refuse to give money to a corporation and see how many suits with Sig Sauers come to your door. Do the same with your taxes.

And no alternatives means a monopoly, and there are strict laws against those (unless it's the government providing the service, that is). Ridden any low cost Amtrak trains lately?

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Red Wings still sell out every game, Tampa sells out, plenty of demand there, why does JJ have the third highest priced average tickets in the US? Why has Boston always been one of the most expensive tickets in the United States? $222.00 average ticket price.

Have you looked at the average income and/or cost of living in Detroit and Tampa?

For instance - Median single family home cost:

Detroit - $162,200
Tampa - $226,800

Boston - $603,600!!!!!

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

Vegas, Nashville, Minnesota, Pittsburgh, Tampa, all sold out every game this year, all played to over 100% capacity with SRO tickets, supply and demand there but lower ticket prices. Chicago had the highest attendance and their tickets are more expensive but otherwise until you get to Carolina, Florida, Arizona and the nomadic Islanders every US based team played to over 82 percent capacity and more than 14,500 fans a night, even NJ. 23 play in newer arenas.

Jacobs is cheap, he always has been and always will be, he will squeeze every nickel he can out of every fan, whether by a new means of saving money on printing tickets or charging more for parking, tickets, concessions, whatever.

They spend to the cap most of the time is the only positive change over the years, the decades of being the Montreal Expos of hockey have stopped, but only because people stopped going.

really?........... Why?.............

Because they can be..............that's why......it's what 'you' are willing to pay. That's what moves the needle.

There's no other magic involved.

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
We're talking about a hockey team here. A pass time... entertainment.......not a black market kidney.
Get a grip.

Buy a wide screen.

This. The 75 inch beast I bought last season cost less than the get in the door price for Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals......no "regerts".

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
16 years ago

southcoasttoday.com

OA20t6.gif

It wasn't they were charging too much it was they were charging too much for people to watch a shitty team play hockey. That is what chased people away.

People will shell out big money to watch live sports but only if they think they are getting their money's worth and for too long (the late 90s to 2006) they weren't, at least where the Bruins were concerned. I think JJ finally got the message when the # of STHs collapsed. IIRC the number dropped to below 5,000 at one point.

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
It wasn't they were charging too much it was they were charging too much for people to watch a ****ty team play hockey. That is what chased people away.

People will shell out big money to watch live sports but only if they think they are getting their money's worth and for too long (the late 90s to 2006) they weren't, at least where the Bruins were concerned. I think JJ finally got the message when the # of STHs collapsed. IIRC the number dropped to below 5,000 at one point.

That's what did it. They (Jacobs and Sinden) brought the team to the level where it was not worth watching at all and drove enough of the fan base away to the point where they had to change what they were doing. I remember feeling bad seeing anyone with a Bruins logo on their car or wearing gear because I thought they were getting royally porked for their allegiance

Reactions: jgatie and BMC

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
No, they don't. Refuse to give money to a corporation and see how many suits with Sig Sauers come to your door. Do the same with your taxes.

And no alternatives means a monopoly, and there are strict laws against those (unless it's the government providing the service, that is). Ridden any low cost Amtrak trains lately?

I could go on all day about why I think you’re wrong, but my posts would quickly be deleted and I’d be infracted for getting political, which is against site rules. So I’ll end it here because I know we are not going to come to agreement.

The Amtrak example alone sets off 1,000 rebuttals in my own mind...

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
I could go on all day about why I think you’re wrong, but my posts would quickly be deleted and I’d be infracted for getting political, which is against site rules. So I’ll end it here because I know we are not going to come to agreement.

The Amtrak example alone sets off 1,000 rebuttals in my own mind...
Regardless. No one is forcing you to pay for those tickets. You have the choice.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
We're talking about a hockey team here. A pass time... entertainment.......not a black market kidney.
Get a grip.

Buy a wide screen.

Well, I admit that I’ve digressed. That being said, I do think my point is very relevant considering Jeremy Jacobs was somehow convincing (or at least attempting to) convince the public that he wanted to lower ticket prices (making himself the hero/good guy of the situation) based on paying the next people down the ladder too much.

And I would be lying if I pretended to be surprised some of the older posters on the board choose to ignore current economic trends in lieu of the old American pastime of bitching about government and taxes.

And remember, I lose money out of my paycheck just like the rest of you...I just think there are plenty of other places we get f***ed by the private sector through rhetoric such as that Jacobs displayed...and yes....that includes within current sports franchises.

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
Well, I admit that I’ve digressed. That being said, I do think my point is very relevant considering Jeremy Jacobs was somehow convincing (or at least attempting to) convince the public that he wanted to lower ticket prices (making himself the hero/good guy of the situation) based on paying the next people down the ladder too much.

And I would be lying if I pretended to be surprised some of the older posters on the board choose to ignore current economic trends in lieu of the old American pastime of *****ing about government and taxes.

And remember, I lose money out of my paycheck just like the rest of you...I just think there are plenty of other places we get ****ed by the private sector through rhetoric such as that Jacobs displayed...and yes....that includes within current sports franchises.
Which you have the choice to not pay for.

As @Gee Wally stated. Buy a big screen.

Reactions: Chief Nine

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Have you looked at the average income and/or cost of living in Detroit and Tampa?

For instance - Median single family home cost:

Detroit - $162,200
Tampa - $226,800

Boston - $603,600!!!!!

A friend just bought a home in a good Detroit suburb in April

SOLD: $191,000
Sold on 04/19/19

ISif77wbnti8a71000000000.jpg

Beautiful St. Clair Shores, 4 Bedroom Home, Tastefully Finished and ready for a new Family. Impressive new spacious Kitchen with Granite Counter Tops, Glass & Tile Back Splash. Two Full Baths Completely Re-Finished with Beautiful Tile Work. New Hardwood Floors Thru Out. Cathedral Ceiling makes for a Wide Open Appearance with Beautiful Natural light. This very nice and Modern Open Concept makes for Warm Family LIving. New Roof. New Extra Deep, One Car Garage, and new driveway. Attached Storage at the back of the House for added convenience. All Freshly Painted and Ready for you to move in!

She can work from home and only has to go to the office once a month - which is in Rhode Island.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
A friend just bought a home in a good Detroit suburb in April

SOLD: $191,000
Sold on 04/19/19

ISif77wbnti8a71000000000.jpg

Beautiful St. Clair Shores, 4 Bedroom Home, Tastefully Finished and ready for a new Family. Impressive new spacious Kitchen with Granite Counter Tops, Glass & Tile Back Splash. Two Full Baths Completely Re-Finished with Beautiful Tile Work. New Hardwood Floors Thru Out. Cathedral Ceiling makes for a Wide Open Appearance with Beautiful Natural light. This very nice and Modern Open Concept makes for Warm Family LIving. New Roof. New Extra Deep, One Car Garage, and new driveway. Attached Storage at the back of the House for added convenience. All Freshly Painted and Ready for you to move in!

She can work from home and only has to go to the office once a month - which is in Rhode Island.

Exactly. Comparing ticket prices in cities with vastly different costs of living is a moot point. It doesn't matter if Detroit is selling out every night, they are selling out at a price Detroit residents can afford. As is Boston. That by no means provves Bostonians should be paying Detroit prices or else they are getting screwed. If that were the case, the median price for a home in Boston would be 1/4 of what it is.

The price of something is what someone is willing to pay. Period.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->