Improvements to North Station and TD Garden taking shape

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
looks like some nice improvements coming up, good to see for an arena that, IMO, is a pretty great place to watch a game/concert

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
That display board is going to be distracting but I've never been to a game in Detroit so no idea if it's just me. There have been times at the TD Garden that I've started watching the game on the scoreboard by habit (kinda like being at home).

Reactions: wintersej

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
the new black seats are more narrow. I think they have done this to add a seat on to each row.

I find the seats to be extremely tight upstairs. I’m a rather small but leggy individual, and my back and hips get wrecked in the balcony trying to sit through a game. Making them more narrow? Yikes.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
Yup, I sat in the new black seats in the balcony for the Hugh Jackman show the other week. Absolutely less width. The poofiness makes them higher, and since I'm short-legged, I feel like I'm sort of on the balls of my feet. It's not awful, and I do like the cushioning, but adding a seat in a row of 16 people means 6% less width. Granted, it wouldn't be a bad thing if I were 6% less wide...which, ironically, would mean less time at the Garden!

On one hand, I get it: The Garden is one of the venues with a smaller capacity. And, for the Bruins, it sells out all the games, and comes close to filling out a decent portion of those games that aren't scheduled at a stupid time. (I'm looking at you, Columbus Day matinee.) They're doing the opposite of what movie theaters are doing: there's demand for the Bruins, so they need to increase supply. Movie theaters had too much supply, so they decreased it by putting in giant recliners.

One weird thing about the seats - they seem to literally force me to manspread. Something about the awkward angles and the slightly higher cushion.

As far as the ice...hopefully they fix it. Fenway said it's happening this summer, but I vaguely recall reading something from the Garden saying something along the lines of "continuous improvements to our ice throughout the 2020 season". I wonder if it's a player safety issue - it certainly can't help. In the Garden's defense on the slow timeline....we did play 2 extra months of hockey. They probably planned for 2-4 weeks.

Reactions: Strafer

crimsonace

Mar 7, 2010
Indianapolis, IN
The old scoreboard was dismantled today

View attachment 240243

While no information has been released on the new scoreboard yet, we have unconfirmed reports that the new scoreboard will rival Detroit's in size. If this were true, here is a look at the size comparison between the current board and what the Red Wings have.

Boston%2BBruins1.png

Garden HDX Dismantled - The Faceoff
Detroit's scoreboard (43' x 28' on each side) is similar to what we have at Bankers Life Fieldhouse in Indy (50' x 21' on the long sides, the boards facing the end zones are smaller ... but the scoreboard component is on the side, rather than the bottom). I rarely attend Pacers games, but the board is big enough to provide a good HD replay view while also displaying stats. It's noticeable and easy to see everywhere. When I worked hockey games there (offset rink, similar to the layout to Barclay's), it stretched from the center red line to the tops of the faceoff circles on the other (or FT line to FT line on a basketball court), so I'd expect a scoreboard at the Garden to stretch between the blue lines. I generally don't watch live action on the board, but often look up for replays.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
I may be in the minority, but I prefer the smaller current scoreboard at TD

I dont like the giant "may as well have saved $300 and watched it at home" monstrosities new stadiums install. I like the small, simple center scoreboard

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
*Ice Resurfacer

...Unless they're going back to Zambonis?
I thought I read somewhere that the bull gang or ice crew wanted Zambonis. Maybe that was just at warrior though.

Did they install the new ice plant? Thought they started on that right after Game 7.

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Reactions: Strafer

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad