Improvements to North Station and TD Garden taking shape

SpeedyLazaro

Sponsor
Sep 30, 2008
Boston
Fenway, do you know if the balcony concourse expansion will be completed for the 19/20 season?

Something for me to consider as select-a-seat approaches.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Fenway, do you know if the balcony concourse expansion will be completed for the 19/20 season?

Others have been talking about it in the Tickets thread - some are being moved in the new setup

SpeedyLazaro

Sponsor
Sep 30, 2008
Boston
Others have been talking about it in the Tickets thread - some are being moved in the new setup

I got moved.. I'm more thinking about in-between period experience. Thinking of moving down to the loge, but would consider waiting it out if the balcony concourse, concession, and restroom situation is improved for next season.. Any insight?

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch

I'm sure this is earlier in the thread, but:

TD Garden Legendary Transformation | TD Garden

The "Back Row Bar" on the 301-side will be there, as well as expanding loge and balcony concourses. They're both listed under "Starting next season", which is fairly vague. I seem to remember reading or hearing something that made me think, "Oh, there's more space starting at the start of 2019-20", but I might not have been reading the fine print. And, of course, as with any improvement project, there's bound to be delays. When they redid the loge (summer 2014?) and the balcony (summer after that), there was definitely some residual messiness during the preseason games.

As far as restrooms, they do say they're putting in "additional restrooms throughout the arena". Again, it could be anything from a Port-O-Potty up on 9 to ACTUALLY doing things to solve the restroom issues. (Fun experiment: It's possible to go to the bathroom and not miss any action if you time it JUST right during a TV timeout, and you're in 304.)

They've already started some very preliminary work - if you look on the 301 side or the 1 side, they have some of that...I want to call it particle board?...set up. First noticed it during the recent 6 game homestand.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Will any of these improvements affect the attendance in a positive way? Looking at the attendance for teams around the league, there are a few teams that average over 100%. Maybe @Fenway could chime in on how that happens (I was guessing standing room)?

SpeedyLazaro

Sponsor
Sep 30, 2008
Boston
As it stands now, the loge and balcony concourses are apples and oranges. The balcony concourse as constructed, pretty much sucks. The bathroom lines are insane and have no system anymore, the concession lines block traffic, and it's just impossible to get around out there in between periods. No where to stand and talk amongst friends. Hard to meet people that are on the other side of the building. The loge is wide and spacious.. we know that. If they can make the balcony concourse as spacious or at least close to the Loge, with additional bathrooms, then I wouldn't consider moving down low. I like my seats.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
TD Garden Prepares For New Scoreboard - The Faceoff

The home of the Boston Bruins will soon have a brand new scoreboard. Before that can happen though, the old control room must go to make way for a brand new video control center.

Just days after wrapping up production of game 7 of the Stanley Cup Final, the control room of TD Garden has been gutted.​

Latest I hear is a 4k re-wrap of the current structure with the main video screen 20 feet wider and minus a ring for next season. There are limits to what they can do because of the height of the roof.

The major expense is the control room and they are not skimping.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
I'm sure this is earlier in the thread, but:

TD Garden Legendary Transformation | TD Garden

The "Back Row Bar" on the 301-side will be there, as well as expanding loge and balcony concourses. They're both listed under "Starting next season", which is fairly vague. I seem to remember reading or hearing something that made me think, "Oh, there's more space starting at the start of 2019-20", but I might not have been reading the fine print. And, of course, as with any improvement project, there's bound to be delays. When they redid the loge (summer 2014?) and the balcony (summer after that), there was definitely some residual messiness during the preseason games.

As far as restrooms, they do say they're putting in "additional restrooms throughout the arena". Again, it could be anything from a Port-O-Potty up on 9 to ACTUALLY doing things to solve the restroom issues. (Fun experiment: It's possible to go to the bathroom and not miss any action if you time it JUST right during a TV timeout, and you're in 304.)

They've already started some very preliminary work - if you look on the 301 side or the 1 side, they have some of that...I want to call it particle board?...set up. First noticed it during the recent 6 game homestand.

Great addition.

They have one of these in Vancouver its awesome hung out up there before G7 and would have gone back and drank for free if we blew that game. (Everyone I talked to assumed they would win and told me to come back after the game and that I wouldn't pay for a drink lol.)

Kind of wish I still had seats in 302 r 12.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
Latest I hear is a 4k re-wrap of the current structure with the main video screen 20 feet wider and minus a ring for next season. There are limits to what they can do because of the height of the roof.

The major expense is the control room and they are not skimping.

My biggest beef is probably in the control room area. I've seen the video screens in other arenas that have a sub-screen that includes which players are on ice, with their TOI and G-A-P stats in the game. This would be the bare minimum that I'd hope for. If it's a technical issue with software controlling a certain number of screens, then I get it. But if they're using every square inch of video screen outside of the four main screens for advertisements, they need to seriously rethink their plan. At the very least, alternate player stats with advertisements to get people to look up - I honestly haven't looked at the two giant rings around the Garden in years, nor have I really looked at the smaller rings above and below the jumbotron. I probably would look at them if I thought there was a chance I'd see something interesting like in-game statistics or player milestone facts.

Reactions: Strafer

danpantz

Mar 31, 2013
TD Garden Prepares For New Scoreboard - The Faceoff

The home of the Boston Bruins will soon have a brand new scoreboard. Before that can happen though, the old control room must go to make way for a brand new video control center.

Just days after wrapping up production of game 7 of the Stanley Cup Final, the control room of TD Garden has been gutted.​

As someone who spent a decade+ in Server rooms and phone closet wiring up patch panels, that first picture is setting off my OCD.

Reactions: Strafer

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
TD Garden is going to close for a summer makeover - The Boston Globe

After a busy spring, TD Garden is getting ready to close its doors for most of the summer and emerge in the fall with a new look.
When the New Kids on the Block walk off the stage next Saturday night, the arena will go dark for all but one of the next 10 weeks while owner Delaware North puts the finishing touches on $100 million worth of upgrades ahead of the next hockey and basketball seasons. The work will require a rare extended shutdown while giant cranes are brought in to swap out about 16,500 seats in the Garden’s bowl.

5FPLFBEUFEI6TKMT3LLT5Y6CRY.jpg

New concession areas and seating are planned for TD Garden’s seventh floor. (DELAWARE NORTH)

Reactions: Alicat

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
My biggest beef is probably in the control room area. I've seen the video screens in other arenas that have a sub-screen that includes which players are on ice, with their TOI and G-A-P stats in the game. This would be the bare minimum that I'd hope for. If it's a technical issue with software controlling a certain number of screens, then I get it. But if they're using every square inch of video screen outside of the four main screens for advertisements, they need to seriously rethink their plan. At the very least, alternate player stats with advertisements to get people to look up - I honestly haven't looked at the two giant rings around the Garden in years, nor have I really looked at the smaller rings above and below the jumbotron. I probably would look at them if I thought there was a chance I'd see something interesting like in-game statistics or player milestone facts.

Player stats will be on the new board updated in real time

The old board had the capability of doing it but the numbers were too small - The Celtics did it anyways

tdgarden-venue-20190222_6029.jpeg

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Player stats will be on the new board updated in real time

The old board had the capability of doing it but the numbers were too small - The Celtics did it anyways

tdgarden-venue-20190222_6029.jpeg
This is the feature I'm looking forward to most

Reactions: Fenway

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
The old scoreboard was dismantled today

upload_2019-6-25_17-52-49.png

While no information has been released on the new scoreboard yet, we have unconfirmed reports that the new scoreboard will rival Detroit's in size. If this were true, here is a look at the size comparison between the current board and what the Red Wings have.

Boston%2BBruins1.png

Garden HDX Dismantled - The Faceoff

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
The old scoreboard was dismantled today

View attachment 240243

While no information has been released on the new scoreboard yet, we have unconfirmed reports that the new scoreboard will rival Detroit's in size. If this were true, here is a look at the size comparison between the current board and what the Red Wings have.

Boston%2BBruins1.png

Garden HDX Dismantled - The Faceoff
I thought the Garden roof was too low to have a scoreboard that large?

Preds took down their scoreboard today too.

May 9, 2010
Weymouth
The Garden is stale. All these updates were desperately needed.

Excited for the new center scoreboard. Northeastern added a massive videoboard to Matthews that I love. After going to games there, the Garden's felt like an TV on the older JetBlue planes.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
I got moved to 301 row 13 next year. I'm afraid I am going to accidentally watch the game on that giant screen.

No way. Some of the best seats in the barn. Ask to move back to 15! I worked just outside 301 for almost two straight years and wish i could get back over there. The nicest groups of people too.

Reactions: wintersej

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
I'd like to see updates on the "ice plant" and meaningful changes made to help enhance the players experience (shown here in updates) . It's great that
the aesthetics for the fans will be updated but I'm concerned with "where the rubber meets the road!"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad