Improvements to North Station and TD Garden taking shape

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
The black doesn't bother me as much as the size of them.

My sister rarely calls me upset but when she told me she couldn't fit in the seat and got a lot of bruises I got pretty pissed off.

I'll be at the game Monday to see for myself but I've seen other people talking about their similar experiences.

I just hope management is ready to deal with the complaints that are surely coming their way next week and beyond.

Not that they'll give a damn.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
I'm disappointed about the ice. :pullhair:

I don't care about the seat colors. The scoreboard is meh but since I'll never see a game there it doesn't make a difference to me. The Chicago and Washington ones are gross. I like the Preds one. I think Bridgestone and TD Garden are about the same age.

Saw this posted today, does TD Garden have this, or is it common in other arenas?

I've never heard of any arena allowing empty water bottles and explicitly having water filling stations. It sounds like a great idea...although I do have lingering memories of someone in my ophtho's office reusing their plastic cup at the water cooler, and touching the cup to the water nozzle. As long as people keep their germs off the refilling stations, it sounds cool.

The Garden has a no outside food/drink policy that I think is pretty common in most indoor arenas and theaters. While I'd love this to change, I definitely see the reason for not allowing drinks in. People get blotto enough by either paying the outrageous concessions prices, or hiding their nips.

Actually, I just looked up the policy of the outdoor I Forget The Sponsoring Bank (aka Rockland Bank) Pavillion in Seaport. You can bring in one sealed bottle of water, and they have water filling stations as well.

Officially, Fenway lets you bring in one sealed bottle of water, 16 oz max. I've gotten away with two bottles of 16.9 ounces (ah, the metric system). I think they let you bring in food, too. I wonder if anyone's brought in jello and had the liquid/solid debate....

The recently reopened Emerson Colonial Theater says no food allowed...and they specifically say no leftovers from restaurants. Um...for the most part, yuck. What leftovers are you having that are going to keep for a 2 hour performance (plus transit time from restaurant to theater, and from theater to home)?

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Star Market just opened a huge supermarket at TD Garden today

BXQPDEG3B4I6TP66LM5D3BH6QU.jpg

Reactions: Alicat

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
It took a few phone calls - don't shoot the messenger

The ice - The Calgary ice guru has made some changes for this season and then a new plant is scheduled to be installed next summer. It was impossible to do it this offseason because of how late last season went and because there were cranes on the arena floor for the seat installation it just couldn't be done. The ice resurfacer situation will be addressed when the current contract expires at the end of the season.

The scoreboard - The control room is now as modern as any in the NHL - for this season they have upgraded the screens on the old board and those panels can be used when a new overhang is built next summer. They decided to wait so they can correctly determine the correct size that will not obstruct any of the new seats.

The overhang is the cheapest part of the project, the control room is where most of the money goes and that had to be done before the new seats on Level 9 were installed.

Not directed at you Paul but: Of course they had the cranes there to make sure they could squeeze every penny out of the situation with the new ******* seats. Profit first, and **** the players and the paying customers. This is so "old school" Bruins. Lipstick on a pig is all it is. Get Amy Latimer on the evening news and have the pretty talking heads Ooow and Awwwww at the "purttee black seats." If a Bruin sustains a bad knee, hip or groin injury it's on their ***ing heads!

Reactions: Orr2Neely8

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Worked at the one in Hyde Park for a number of years. Started as a bagger then a cashier. Was a good place until Shaws took over.

A bit OT but:
I worked at the one on Mt.Auburn St. It was next door to the head offices of Star. It was a terrible place to work unless your older relatives worked there. Steeped in nepotism...

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch

Back where he belongs! In the 4-5 years since he's been displaced, I literally visited the statue one time - just to see exactly where it was. And that was a couple of months ago, post-playoffs.

I do like the new "grand entrance" that they put in, and the reopening of the tunnel last December has been a godsend in the cold months. The changes outside the Garden have all been great. All the cool stuff on the inside of the Garden looks like it's coming in November/December - ie expanded concourses. No improved ice, the Garden HDX sounds like it's barely improved, and the seats are a big blunder.

I still say that the Bruins owe Carlo an apology (but one that will never come because lawyers/PR.) I'm not sure about the 2016-7 playoffs he missed, but his falling downand tripping injury in 2017-8 right at the end of the season was VERY suspicious in terms of ice quality.

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
Weren't they planning to only have the Bruins' tunnel attached to the benches, and the visitors' with the zamboni entrance? From that second tweet it looks like the tunnels are where they always have been?

I hope that hasn’t changed. I think it’s minor league-ish to have teams cross the ice to get to their room

Reactions: Strafer

the negotiator

Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Some ( non-game) impressions from tonight
- the Orr statue is where it should be
- Star market is impressive
- as is the new pro shop
-the black seat color scheme might grow on me
-still bunches of work to do on the Loge level concourse
- the sound system is still waaay to loud
-the new seats remind me of the old Fenway seats....cozy is one word- cramped is another
-the new paperless system worked without a hitch

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
Weren't they planning to only have the Bruins' tunnel attached to the benches, and the visitors' with the zamboni entrance? From that second tweet it looks like the tunnels are where they always have been?

I was thinking the exact same thing. The Flyers definitely did come out from the old tunnel. Maybe the new visitors locker room isn’t ready yet?

Crossing the ice to reach the bench should absolutely be grandfathered out. It’s not eve AHL level - it’s ECHL level.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
I was thinking the exact same thing. The Flyers definitely did come out from the old tunnel. Maybe the new visitors locker room isn’t ready yet?

Crossing the ice to reach the bench should absolutely be grandfathered out. It’s not eve AHL level - it’s ECHL level.

I hate it. Absolutely agree it shouldn’t be allowed. I’m all for giving visitors basic or slightly smaller locker rooms, but something that impacts in game action is too much for me. I hate that the Habs do it, and i hate that the Bruins are doing it now. Everyone should fit on the bench and everyone should have immediate access to the dressing rooms and all the same facilities at all times.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
At (I’ll toot my own horn and call it “a muscular”) 185 pounds, I don’t think the seats will bother me too much. But it’s honestly rather offensive that a supposed “upgrade” hyped up by the organization is actually just a screw job on the fans that have supported you with their hard earned money for years.

People have heard my ripping in big, corporate business enough but all I will say is that it’s a shame. Honestly, if people do really raise a stink about it, I could maybe see *some* type of impact or reaction needed from up top. Depending on your size, that’s not an issue that one gets used to.

Not to mention, even the less directly effected smaller people will have to deal with further encroachment from others.

Like I said...if people actually raise a fuss and make it enough of an embarrassment *maybe* there will be consequences, but I won’t hold my breath. As we all know, the people who take in the money generally don’t give a f***. Unless it involves *not* raking in the dough.

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
At (I’ll toot my own horn and call it “a muscular”) 185 pounds, I don’t think the seats will bother me too much. But it’s honestly rather offensive that a supposed “upgrade” hyped up by the organization is actually just a screw job on the fans that have supported you with their hard earned money for years.

People have heard my ripping in big, corporate business enough but all I will say is that it’s a shame. Honestly, if people do really raise a stink about it, I could maybe see *some* type of impact or reaction needed from up top. Depending on your size, that’s not an issue that one gets used to.

Not to mention, even the less directly effected smaller people will have to deal with further encroachment from others.

Like I said...if people actually raise a fuss and make it enough of an embarrassment *maybe* there will be consequences, but I won’t hold my breath. As we all know, the people who take in the money generally don’t give a ****. Unless it involves *not* raking in the dough.

The days of bashing JJ are over, they won a cup in 2011 and he spends to the cap you know.

Fans will just have to be uncomfortable and pay top dollar while doing it.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
The days of bashing JJ are over, they won a cup in 2011 and he spends to the cap you know.

Fans will just have to be uncomfortable and pay top dollar while doing it.

The thing is...I’d almost feel it dishonest to focus my disappointment on the Jacobs family specifically.

This is just how big business works. From a sports perspective, at least we can see there is an incentive to put a good team on the ice to get fans to attend. Most other big businesses have simply become about cornering the means of production/the market share and not allowing anyone else in. None of these businesses need to have overall customer satisfaction as any sort of priority...which sort of goes against the roots of capitalism.

I digress once again.

OldScool

Nov 27, 2007
My seats in the loge were better than I thought. They were OK size wise and actually like the folding arm rests that can give you some more additional space. I still think its a poor design to have about 15 seats in a row and only one aisle to egress out of. If you have an aisle seat you are going to be getting up a lot.

Love the $54 parking this year....I dont park there but man thats crazy expensive.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
My seats in the loge were better than I thought. They were OK size wise and actually like the folding arm rests that can give you some more additional space. I still think its a poor design to have about 15 seats in a row and only one aisle to egress out of. If you have an aisle seat you are going to be getting up a lot.

Love the $54 parking this year....I dont park there but man thats crazy expensive.

My group that shares our season tickets took the parking passes. You save about $10, and this year you get guaranteed Level 3 parking, so you get out faster.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Some ( non-game) impressions from tonight
- the Orr statue is where it should be
- Star market is impressive
- as is the new pro shop
-the black seat color scheme might grow on me
-still bunches of work to do on the Loge level concourse
- the sound system is still waaay to loud
-the new seats remind me of the old Fenway seats....cozy is one word- cramped is another
-the new paperless system worked without a hitch

Bunches of work left for us 300 level people, too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad