Improve Offensively

Fedz

Sponsor
Jul 18, 2003
Behind the Bench
I'm already an abover average offensive player but what can I do to become an exceptional one? how can I become more "tricky" 1on1? how can I have better offensive awareness? see the ice even better? etc. Are there any drills or visualization I can do to become an exceptional offensive player or is most of it god given??

Thanks for the help,

Adam
What level do you play in Surrey? I've played there my last 10 years, basically.

Adam91

Dec 19, 2005
Toronto
I just tried the shooting in the chair excersise. I could feel it in my lower arm but I couldn't feel it in my upper arm.

Also how many sitting down pucks should I shoot a day to see a big increase in my power? I shoot 300-400 regular pucks on most days. Should I stop shooting regularly and just do it sitting down?

TBLfan

Nov 25, 2005
Tampa, FL
tblfan.wordpress.com
One thing I do to strengthen my wrists is to hold the stick regularly and shoot. I then keep my body position in the same position for the wrist shot but I move my hands closer. With my hands about 2" away from eachother and using a wood stick and/or a stick weight after about 25 or so I can feel it in both wrists.

If you try this make sure that you are taking wrist shots and not taking a golf swings. The heavier the ball/puck/stick the better. Also focus on rolling your wrists over.

night-timer

Apr 26, 2006
Sydney, Australia
Make sure you have team mates that are willing to pass the puck forward when you've got plenty of free ice around you, no-one marking you, an easy breakout play, etc. Still having this problem with a clown on my team. (And you ought to see how he refs games!). One guy tells me, "just keep going off-side until they learn to pass the puck up to you on the wing" - I don't want to keep going offside but maybe I'll have to.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
Make sure you have team mates that are willing to pass the puck forward when you've got plenty of free ice around you, no-one marking you, an easy breakout play, etc. Still having this problem with a clown on my team. (And you ought to see how he refs games!). One guy tells me, "just keep going off-side until they learn to pass the puck up to you on the wing" - I don't want to keep going offside but maybe I'll have to.

My best friend is like that...It drives me nuts sometimes because he'll always, ALWAYS try and do it himself instead of passing.

He's good on his skates and he has a great, accurate and fast shot. His slapshot is by far the best on the team. His wrister is pretty good, I would say mine is probably better but he manages to score from really odd angles and he's got a quick release.

But man, his hockey sense really stinks. I don't get it, he's really not that good a stickhandler...But he never passes. He'll always try and bring it in himself and score even when everyone else is open. I'm more of a pass first kind of guy so it drives me nuts, especially when I see potential for a really nice play. I don't get if it's because he doesn't see me, or he just thinks he can do it himself...It's so frustrating cause he'll just end up in the corner and lose the puck. And when I tell him to just park his *** in front of the net he gets all mad at me.

Missionhockey

Jul 6, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
Using your teammates is underrated. One person on a team can hold back a whole teams offense just by not passing and making poor decisions with the puck. Its always best for the other team to be chasing the puck rather than just chasing you. Work on elevated passes, and recieving hard passes. Team offense is what wins games.

Rushing the puck up the ice is pretty important. Whats most important is the players without the puck. If its a two on two going one way and the other offensive player is just coasting it might as well be a one on two. The other offensive player has to break around the defender or drive the net to force the defensemen back.

PhilMerwin187

Aug 11, 2006
Rochester, NY
www.pbnation.com
Work on your speed, not just your shot.

On a 1V1, keep the puck just out of his reach. Watch his arms to see how far his reach is. Also, avoid going between his legs. It's so easy as a defenseman to turn my foot and block the puck. You're just setting him up to kick it forward and fly up the ice.

If you're going to go wide on a 1V1, you need to do it full speed. If you slow down at all, or you aren't going fast enough, you're going to get pushed/forced out farther than you want.

-Phil

Hank19

Apr 11, 2005
My best friend is like that...It drives me nuts sometimes because he'll always, ALWAYS try and do it himself instead of passing.

He's good on his skates and he has a great, accurate and fast shot. His slapshot is by far the best on the team. His wrister is pretty good, I would say mine is probably better but he manages to score from really odd angles and he's got a quick release.

But man, his hockey sense really stinks. I don't get it, he's really not that good a stickhandler...But he never passes. He'll always try and bring it in himself and score even when everyone else is open. I'm more of a pass first kind of guy so it drives me nuts, especially when I see potential for a really nice play. I don't get if it's because he doesn't see me, or he just thinks he can do it himself...It's so frustrating cause he'll just end up in the corner and lose the puck. And when I tell him to just park his *** in front of the net he gets all mad at me.

Does he have his head down a lot?

But there's always one on every team. Some superstar that thinks they're so awesome that they can do it themselves. I'm a superstar (and a terrific lover) but I don't flaunt my immense skills to dwarf others. We all pay the same amount to play.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->