Impressive rookies from other teams this year

Intangir

Aug 14, 2008
Montreal, QC
I know it's still extremely early in the season and that rookies who impress now could (and probably will) falter a bit as the season goes along, but I'm curious about what rookies from other teams passed the eye-test with flying colors when you guys watched them play either against your main team or against other opponents.

Anyways, here are some of the rookies that impressed me of the games I watched.

Travis Dermott - I've actually watched every Leafs' games this season untill now as I wanted to see what a team boasting Matthews and Tavares as a one-two punch at center would look like. Suffice to say I was impressed offensively and underwhelmed by their defense, with Dermott being a notable exception. He seemed to be quite in control out there on the ice and, in my opinion, he has been the second-best Leafs' defenseman after Rielly in this early part of the season. I especially like his zone breakouts and awareness all over the ice. In short, I think the Leafs have a small gem in this guy; one that could, and probably will, be a solid top-4 D.

Elias Pettersson - I watched him play the last two games for Vancouver and I've got to say, so far the hype about this guy seems to have been justified. Despite so-so ice-time, Pettersson's made many great and simple plays and reads offensively for Vancouver. Even though he's pretty green and a pure rookie, his hockey sense, agility and skill level are all really top-end even amongst NHLers and I personally believe this guy could end up a PPG+ player in his prime.

Rasmus Dahlin - Although he hasn't registered a point yet, from the 2 Buffalo games I've watched, Dahlin really popped out and made himself noticeable as he was easily the best Buffalo Sabres defenseman in both those games. His D-zone play has been pretty spot-on, his breakout pass out of the zone and transition play is the best I've seen in a rookie defenseman ever since the days of rookie Drew Doughty (!!!), his arsenal of shots is really impressive for a rookie (not top-tier yet but probably will be one day), his overall skating ability is great, he has exhibited good strength along the boards (although that's probably one of the areas he needs to improve upon the most) and was incredibly smart and efficient in how he battled on the boards, using physicality when needed and a good poke check against stronger players. Three games in, he's basically looked like a stud and young franchise D-man.

Andrei Svechnikov - What can I say, he's big, fast, skilled as hell, boasts an absolutely amazing passing ability (makes tape-to-tape passes while getting tightly checked), is incredibly hard to stop once he has possession of the puck, has really good shooting ability and hand-eye coordnation, was a bit tentative his first game out there (which is ony natural) but looked much better the two other games I've watched of him. His positioning offensively is pretty good and he has actually showed quite a bit of hustle defensively despite it clearly not being his strong point as he came back on the backcheck to put pressure on the opposing puck carrier quite a few times from what I saw. I think this guy ends up being a PPG+ winger for Carolina

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Pettersson has impressed me so much. I've found myself watching Canucks games just to watch him play. Such an exciting young player to watch and so incredibly talented

Deegee

Oct 29, 2013
Edmonton, AB
Juuso Valimaki for the Flames is showing why he won a spot out of camp and why the Flames were able to cut Kulak loose.

His ice time has increased each game he has been on and even spent some time out killing a 5on3 last night. 10 minutes TOI the first game, than 13, and then 17 mins.

Not flashy, Valimaki makes good decisions repeatedly with and without the puck. As an NHL rookie drafted 16th overall in 2017 there was always going to be expectations of him becoming a player, but do it this quickly is impressive.

Reactions: LAINEC

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
Dermott isn't a rookie. He played 30+ games last season.

Heiskanen has been solid. He's been getting a lot of hype and seems like it's deserved.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Foegele
Jokiharju
Wagner

I’ve seen the highlights of Heiskanen and they were impressive but I haven’t caught a game yet :/

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Kind of expected but still nice to see them actually doing it--Pettersson and Heiskanen both worth the price of admission.

Austin Wagner of the Kings. Connor McDavid speed and he's had tons of great scoring chances just can't finish.

Wagner is already the fastest King ever. Full stop. I've never seen anything like it.

Intangir

Aug 14, 2008
Montreal, QC
Dermott isn't a rookie. He played 30+ games last season.

Heiskanen has been solid. He's been getting a lot of hype and seems like it's deserved.

Whelp, seems like I made a mistake there, sorry. I admit I haven't really paid the Maple Leafs that much attention untill this year, with Tavares on board and whatnot.

Anyways, Dermott still looks really impressive out there and I still mean everything I've said about this young defenseman.

On another note, thanks for all your responses guys, good to know that so much young talent is making its way to the NHL.

As far as other rookies that impressed me go, I'll have to add Tkachuk to the list after yesterday's game.

He wan't perhaps the most efficient today, but the young guy went to the hard parts of the offensive zone, took some punishment like a true pro and made overall good plays in a losing affair for the Senators. To be frank, Tkachuk was a bit lucky there that the Flyers' goalie let his shot in five-hole on his second goal (as his release wasn't perfect and the shot was a bit weak) and that the puck bounced on his skate as it did for his first goal, but the only reason these plays happened is because he went to the right spots on the ice at the right time, and that speaks volumes about his hockey sense.

Tkachuk still needs to refine his game as a whole and work on his shot, but I think the Sens have a pretty good and gritty future 60 pts winger on their hands.

Also, I'll admit I'm a bit intrigued about Heiskanen's play, as he is one the most highly-touted prospects to make the NHL, I just haven't had the time to catch any of the Dallas Stars' games yet. Hopefully I get to see him next week.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad