Important Historical Events and NHL Games

C77

Mar 12, 2009
Junior's Farm
I was reading the Sunday Standard Times (New Bedford, MA) from November 24, 1963 today because someone I know has a saved copy....(of course because of what happened in Dallas) but one of the other stories was of a game on Saturday night between the B's and the Leafs with Toronto winning 4-1 with two goals by Frank Mahovlich. The veteran Johnny Bower almost got the shutout but a late goal by Murray Oliver broke it up.

Boston had a game scheduled at the Garden vs Detroit for Sunday but it was canceled because of the national tragedy.

So I was wondering if anyone else knew of stories of NHL games that took place around the time of important historical events? Also, did the teams or league do anything to commemorate these events?

One example I know is of the Bruins Kraut line being carried off the ice by members of both the Bruins and Canadiens in their last game before going off to war; the line combined for 9 points I think. Anyways, while reading the article in the same newspaper alongside stories of President Kennedy's assassination, it really struck me that the games are a part of our history and that as fans of the game we have a lot more in common than we sometimes like to admit.

mrhockey193195

Nov 14, 2006
Denver, CO
Two moments I will never forget were the Rangers first preseason game after 9-11, against NJ, where the players stood Ranger-Devil-Ranger-Devil on the blueline for the national anthem, and the subsequent home opener against Buffalo along with all the pregame ceremonies. Also, it was pretty emotional to see Brian Leetch score the OT winner after he lost his best friend in the attacks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->