Importance of Product Branding (Logos, Team Colors)

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
I guarantee you are going to see a ton of old jerseys come out of the woodwork as well. They will sell their fair share of new ones but they need a a couple long term young stars on the team. I'm not sure Buff, Ladd, ect will have people going nuts to buy new jerseys.

sbaggio

Jun 7, 2011
SoCal
uh no

Listen Winnipeg, we're real happy for you, and imma let you finish, but I have no interest in buying any Jets merchandise, nor do 99% of hockey fans who are not Jets fans in particular

Well I'm a Jets fan and I bought a Habs and several Team Canada jerseys. Also was given a Leaf oil rag that I use in the garage. Come to think of it, it's a jersey.

SilverSeven

Apr 16, 2007
Ottawa, Ontario
uh no

Listen Winnipeg, we're real happy for you, and imma let you finish, but I have no interest in buying any Jets merchandise, nor do 99% of hockey fans who are not Jets fans in particular

I dont buy this. Jets merch is huge. As is Whalers and Nordiques.

In fact, the worst thing for Jets merch sales, at least outside of Manitoba, might have been the Jets returning.

Free Edler

Enjoy retirement, boys.
Feb 27, 2002
Surrey, BC
Nah. If all they would have had was one prototype for the draft, then the counterfeiters would have gotten a massive head-start.

sbaggio

Jun 7, 2011
SoCal
I dont buy this. Jets merch is huge. As is Whalers and Nordiques.

In fact, the worst thing for Jets merch sales, at least outside of Manitoba, might have been the Jets returning.

Absolutely true. I see Jets jerseys and hats in So Cal FFS!

Nashvols

Jun 8, 2011
Nashville
Judging by a lot of the video I've seen of Jets fans...a ton of them already have Jets stuff. It would've only made a difference if they had changed names.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Well I'm a Jets fan and I bought a Habs and several Team Canada jerseys. Also was given a Leaf oil rag that I use in the garage. Come to think of it, it's a jersey.

Well that's because the Jets didn't exist two months ago...

TerminatorBlue

Nov 11, 2007
Canada
Why put fans through all that and keep the same name, they should have said the team will be called the Winnipeg Jets from the beginning. I think the Winnipeg fans have been through enough these last two years.

RandR

May 15, 2011
in marketing by not having a logo and merchandise ready for sale on draft day? There were millions of TV viewers and pumped up Winnipeg Jets fans all over North America and the world. Would it have been the largest sale day in NHL history? I bet they could have sold 10s of thousands of items. They will never get that magnitude of exposure again.
I have to think they would have wanted to have the logo and merchandise ready for draft day, but I wouldn't call it a mistake. I'd say there just wasn't enough time for them to get this done, especially with so many other things to take care in such a short time.

Having said that, I think that if they did make a mistake, it was not setting any expectations at all about the team name, which allowed the public to overwhelmingly convince themselves that the old name had to be used. There have been many reports suggesting that they had a new name chosen, but public opinion caused them to reconsider and then go with Jets again. That change may have caused part of the delay in getting a logo and shirt design finalized.

FWIW, I lost interest in buying a jersey once I heard that they were using the old name again. I'm sure many people feel the exact opposite way in Manitoba, but I think shirts will now be harder to sell elsewhere due to the old name being reused.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
From what I've read, TNSE/Winnipeg want to do this right. They're "rebranding". There will be a new logo, and perhaps different colors (than red, white, blue).

They perhaps had plans to go with a different name/logo and had that all "in place" and decided based on the passion and enthusiasm of the old nickname, to go in a different direction. Takes some time to change course and get all the approvals to finalize and move forward.

There will be plenty of excitement when it is revealed, as well as pent up (and saved up) $$s itching for new jerseys, etc.

sbaggio

Jun 7, 2011
SoCal
Well that's because the Jets didn't exist two months ago...

But they did when I bought the jerseys. I refuse to believe that fans won't buy a jersey they like or want to collect a few. I am also a soccer fan and have approx a dozen jerseys from different clubs as well as my own.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
From what I've read, TNSE/Winnipeg want to do this right. They're "rebranding". There will be a new logo, and perhaps different colors (than red, white, blue).

They perhaps had plans to go with a different name/logo and had that all "in place" and decided based on the passion and enthusiasm of the old nickname, to go in a different direction. Takes some time to change course and get all the approvals to finalize and move forward.

There will be plenty of excitement when it is revealed, as well as pent up (and saved up) $$s itching for new jerseys, etc.

You could probably hear the jaws dropping from space if the Jets went with teal, black and beige as their colors.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Supporting the Brand

Umm, that hasnt' worked real well for what is it now, 44 years C58?. No, if I could turn back the clock Dief the Chief wouldve defeated Mike Pearson over the flag issue, we'd still have the Red Ensign, "Diefenbucks" instead of the Loonie, push button automatics in our cars and possibly still the 32 point Leaf Logo, unless of course Ballard discovered the lesser issue was cheaper to produce. Im sure as a life-long Habs fan you couldnt be more delighted than seeing the complete destruction of Connie Smythes once proud emblem. :)

Ya, the retro hockey & baseball jerseys are extremely popular, oddly, with generations of GangBangers in East LA. Leave it to California to start a trend. I cant begin to tell you how strange it is to see a bunch of kids in Hartford Whalers jerseys holding up a 7-11. WTF?... :huh:.

Very basic element of branding is that the logo or brand has to be supported with performance. Leafs failed at the performance level since 1967.

As for the other teams or the Canadiens specifically beating or competing against a strong rival brand or team enhances both brands or teams.Leafs winning the SC in 1967 against the Canadiens creates more value for the brand than if they had beat the Rangers. A strong rivalry back and forth over 44 seasons like it was in the O6 era would have produced greater benefits to both teams and the league as a whole.

Last edited:

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
A strong rivalry back and forth over 44 seasons like it was in the O6 era would have produced greater benefits to both teams and the league as a whole.

Very true, and had the Rangers' won a bunch of cups through the 50's & 60's Im pretty sure the face of the NHL would be much different today.

BrianL*

Very true, and had the Rangers' won a bunch of cups through the 50's & 60's Im pretty sure the face of the NHL would be much different today.

All teams would spell out their name diagonally across their jersey? :D

unstuck

Dec 23, 2010
Toronto
My personal dislikes in this regard over past few decades:

I never liked how the Anaheim Mighty Ducks or Toronto Raptors were named to promote or take advantage of recent movies.

THIS

Everytime I see those silly "raptor claw" shirts and hats I think "So 1990s!"

It's be like naming the team today the Toronto Teen Vampires :rolleyes:

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
All teams would spell out their name diagonally across their jersey? :D

:laugh: I sure hope not. Remember hearing about the Hershey Bears for years & years, reading about their exploits, the great players that went through the organization etc, imagining some really nifty lookin Bear logo. Visions of Hersheys Chocolates dancing through my head. Then years later I see these sweaters. T a a b e r r n a c. Nothin but H E R S H E Y on the diagonal. Dirty white block felt lettering on cheap lookin maroon wool. Tie downs all ripped asunder. Like hand me-downs from the 64 Touring Soviet Team who had those handed down to them by the 54 version & so on. The Hammer & Sickle logo switched to Hershey. Talk about pathetic. One team is enough. The Bolts & Sens best be getting their own lives & cut that out.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Everytime I see those silly "raptor claw" shirts and hats.....

Wait just a second here; are you telling me Toronto's NBA Team was named "Raptors" based on & after the popularity at that time of Jurassic Park specifically?. Thats incredible. I thought it was based on the fact that Raptors were big & aggressive creatures, no reference whatsoever to the movie. Honestly, I had no idea.... What were they thinking?. :huh:

unstuck

Dec 23, 2010
Toronto
Wait just a second here; are you telling me Toronto's NBA Team was named "Raptors" based on & after the popularity at that time of Jurassic Park specifically?. Thats incredible. I thought it was based on the fact that Raptors were big & aggressive creatures, no reference whatsoever to the movie. Honestly, I had no idea.... What were they thinking?. :huh:

Well not officially, they weren't affiliated with the movie in any way, and ostensibly the team WAS named after aggressive fast dinosaurs, but seriously.. The raptors came into existence on the early 90s when the Jurassic park movies were in the public conscqiousness and dinosaurs were cool. They were riding a trend. Seems dated now, doesn't it? Raptors. :rolleyes:

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Seems dated now, doesn't it? Raptors. :rolleyes:

Ya, and as an old & proud Torontonian myself I actually do find that handle a bad joke. It does seem like a name geared towards the Tiny Tot market. Your pre-schoolers to 10 year olds. Like a line of toys from Hasbro or somethin. I guess they were taking the long range view. Get people in their formative brand identification & sport participatory years so that by the year 2025 there'd be a solid ST base huh?. Only trouble is, most kids go through a paleontological "phase" in their lives when all things Dinosaur are cool, then lose interest after about 3 months. :laugh:

Last edited:

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
I have no idea what you are talking about.

WNk89.jpg

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Honestly, that just looks like a babys blanket or the design for a wallpaper border for a 6yr olds bedroom.
Another case of "what were they thinking"?!.... :huh:

KevFu

May 22, 2009
Phoenix from Rochester via New Orleans
Honestly, that just looks like a babys blanket or the design for a wallpaper border for a 6yr olds bedroom.
Another case of "what were they thinking"?!.... :huh:

Probably thinking about how everyone will buy ugly Raptors merchandise just because they're a new team, and then they can introduce something that doesn't look stupid and sell the same products to the same people and get twice the paycheck.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->