Import Player Compensation

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
A discussion point came up in the Ottawa 67’s thread regarding player compensation for Import players.

I seem to remember a conversation regarding the Imports having a different compensation structure, mostly due to education/scholarship etc. But, my understanding is the teams are not bound by the weekly stipends that are afforded to the North American players.

Does anyone have a stronger sense of what those rules are?

EDIT:
I don’t believe the Import players sign the same Standard Player agreement that the North Americans sign.

Last edited:

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
A discussion point came up in the Ottawa 67’s thread regarding player compensation for Import players.

I seem to remember a conversation regarding the Imports having a different compensation structure, mostly due to education/scholarship etc. But, my understanding is the teams are not bound by the weekly stipends that are afforded to the North American players.

EDIT:
I don’t believe the Import players sign the same Standard Player agreement that the North Americans sign.
My understanding is that import players receive the same stipends that all the other players get. They are signed to a Standard Players Agreement. The only difference may be is an option to be able to leave to the play in Europe. OHL teams often after to pay a money to obtain a players release from their former team. If the players is drafted into the NHL and signed they may receive money from them. Who knows what individuals teams do outside the standard policy.

Last edited:

SSMHoundsFan

Greyhounds/FlamesFan
Dec 30, 2014
Sault Ste. Marie, ON

EDIT:
I feel like they get a different Education Package than what a NA born player gets.., there isn't a whole lot of incentive for them to stick around in a foreign country if they don't turn pro after their tenure in the O

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013

Yes but it was a different contract. Weren’t they eligible to actually be paid higher?
I doubt the OHL would allow import players to be paid more. It would be the unfair to the Canadian and American players to pay them more. There may be money available for travel home and to bring their families to Canada.

BadgerBruce

Aug 8, 2013
Yes but it was a different contract. Weren’t they eligible to actually be paid higher?
To the best of my knowledge, Euros in the OHL were paid the old escalating weekly stipend (increased based on seasons of service) everyone else received, and today they receive the same monthly reimbursement as everyone else. Same standard player agreement as everyone else.

Reactions: OMG67

rve24

Oct 26, 2022
Could teams fly their parents in n hotel for one trip a year?
I may be mistaken but I thought there was something like these additions for imports.
Others may know and please correct me if wrong.

Last edited:

BadgerBruce

Aug 8, 2013

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
To the best of my knowledge, Euros in the OHL were paid the old escalating weekly stipend (increased based on seasons of service) everyone else received, and today they receive the same monthly reimbursement as everyone else. Same standard player agreement as everyone else.
correct, most of the time for school they use a local school as the standard, but im not sure thats what all teams do. a team like ottawa would probably use carlton or something for what the package would be worth.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Here’s a nice article about the sanctions levied on Portland in the WHL for “travel violations.” OHL has the same rules.

Interesting article.

Why is there no bylaws and rules book easily available to fans.

Every year, there are questions that could be answered if we could just look at the book.

Along with OMG's question, the other one that has come up is what is the rule on trading rookie import players.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Interesting article.

Why is there no bylaws and rules book easily available to fans.

Every year, there are questions that could be answered if we could just look at the book.

Along with OMG's question, the other one that has come up is what is the rule on trading rookie import players.
you can trade them during the same opening you can trade 16 year old 1st round picks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad