Imperator: Rome new strategy game from Paradox

Desdichado93

Jan 7, 2012
Sweden
Paradox revealed their next grand strategy game at their own convention today.

Led by EU4, CK2 and Stellaris old hand Johan Andersson (who took to the conference
stage dressed in a toga, ushered by spear-wielding Roman soldiers) Imperator: Rome asks
questions of its players. What if Alexander's empire was centralised under a single successor?
What if Italy was never unified under Roman rule? What if Caesar never existed—how would western civilisation look today?

Imperator: Rome revealed at PDXCON 2018 | PC Gamer
Go from Brick to Marble in Paradox’s Imperator: Rome - Paradox Interactive - Global Games Publisher

Seems like another game in the HOI/EU/CK/Victoria genre with some new additions maybe.
It will be released in 2019 for PC/Windows/Linux/Max

Last edited:

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
On a scale of Europa Universalis to Age of Empires, what is this speculated to be like?

Personally I'm more of an Age of Empire guy rather than something more turn based and abstract like EU. I love the time period though so I'll probably be picking it up regardless.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
On a scale of Europa Universalis to Age of Empires, what is this speculated to be like?

Personally I'm more of an Age of Empire guy rather than something more turn based and abstract like EU. I love the time period though so I'll probably be picking it up regardless.

It’s going to be real time like every PDS game.

It won’t be anything like Age of Empires. AoE is a traditional RTS, while Paradox games like EU and now I:R are grand strategy, which is a mix of economy sims and war gaming. I:R is going to be a bit like EU (war and diplomacy), CKII (RPG elements and characters), and Victoria (pops and mixed unit armies).

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
It probably won't be, but I'll be thrilled if it's anything like Centurion: Defender of Rome. I've wanted a new strategy game like that for over 25 years.

882-centurion-defender-of-rome-dos-screenshot-starting-game.jpg
Centurion_4.jpg
9920-centurion-defender-of-rome-dos-screenshot-battle-scene.gif

Eat your hearts out, modern games in your fancy pantsy 4K resolutions and 3D acceleration!

Last edited:

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I'm getting excited, too. Screenshots and more information were released a few days ago. It sounds like it's along the lines of the previous Paradox games (EU, CK, etc.), so politics and in-fighting are major factors, but sports a whole new engine and UI that more resemble Civilization VI (thankfully, without the slight cartoony-ness). Hopefully, it's more accessible like Civ6, as well, since, the older that I get, the less time and patience that I have for the steep learning curves needed to get into some of these grand strategy games.

Imperator: Rome has the makings of a gorgeous, accessible grand strategy saga | PC Gamer

ss_39748aa8717393e50f4d16c7ff8bca5f96a255fa.1920x1080.jpg

ss_b33746aa02b2fda863bf09cf043da276d4872108.1920x1080.jpg

ss_8b32a69cf8ce998426baed5a4a647053053ca25d.1920x1080.jpg

The above article seems to suggest that, in the fashion of past Paradox games, you can zoom in from the map screen (2nd screenshot) all of the way to the close-up view (1st screenshot). If so, that's going to be really awesome.

Apparently, Paradox is set on releasing it in "early 2019," but the previewer wonders if that's too optimistic based on the roughness of the build that he was shown. I wouldn't be surprised if the release date slips, since I imagine that this new engine will be the basis for several games over the next 5-10 years, so they'll want to hit a home run with the first.

Last edited:
Reactions: Blender

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I'm getting excited, too. Screenshots and more information were released a few days ago. It sounds like it's along the lines of the previous Paradox games (EU, CK, etc.), so politics and in-fighting are major factors, but sports a whole new engine and UI that more resemble Civilization VI (thankfully, without the slight cartoony-ness). Hopefully, it's similarly accessible since, the older that I get, the less time and patience that I have for the steep learning curves needed to get into some of these grand strategy games.

Imperator: Rome has the makings of a gorgeous, accessible grand strategy saga | PC Gamer

The above article seems to suggest that, in the fashion of past Paradox games, you can zoom in from the map screen (2nd screenshot) all of the way to the close-up view (1st screenshot). If so, that's going to be really awesome.

Apparently, Paradox is set on releasing it in "early 2019," but the previewer wonders if that's too optimistic based on the roughness of the build that he was shown. I wouldn't be surprised if the release date slips, since I imagine that this new engine will be the basis for several games over the next 5-10 years, so they'll want to hit a home run with the first.
Yes please. 2019 can't come soon enough. I'm a big fan of Roman history, and Paradox making a game set in antiquity is all I could hope for.

Tonneau

May 15, 2017
Montreal
I've wanted one of these for quite some time. This is very exciting.

I hope this game runs well. I can't stand going very far in EU4 games because they slow down too much.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
I'm getting excited, too. Screenshots and more information were released a few days ago. It sounds like it's along the lines of the previous Paradox games (EU, CK, etc.), so politics and in-fighting are major factors, but sports a whole new engine and UI that more resemble Civilization VI (thankfully, without the slight cartoony-ness). Hopefully, it's more accessible like Civ6, as well, since, the older that I get, the less time and patience that I have for the steep learning curves needed to get into some of these grand strategy games.

Paradox often slips the release dates for their main release titles (never for DLC), but the guy whose running this game (Johan Andersson) usually isn't like that so early 2019 doesn't sound too far fetched to me. Once you get the underlying mechanics down, the polishing doesn't take that long.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
It probably won't be, but I'll be thrilled if it's anything like Centurion: Defender of Rome. I've wanted a new strategy game like that for over 25 years.

882-centurion-defender-of-rome-dos-screenshot-starting-game.jpg
Centurion_4.jpg
9920-centurion-defender-of-rome-dos-screenshot-battle-scene.gif

Eat your hearts out, modern games in your fancy pantsy 4K resolutions and 3D acceleration!

I loved rolling out those Consular armies.

Take that Scythians! Cannae tactic FTW.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I loved rolling out those Consular armies.

Take that Scythians! Cannae tactic FTW.

Wow, someone else knows and remembers that game. That game was my introduction to the word ignominious (because, every time that you got your butt kicked in a battle, it labeled it an "ignominious defeat"). I remember thinking, as a young teenager, what a weird word that was. Also, I learned only a few years ago that you can "get it on" with Cleopatra if you have a strong army and choose your dialog options correctly. Why couldn't my teenage self have found that?

Anyways, I'm pleasantly surprised that Imperator does seem like it might scratch some of the itch left by Centurion. It's got the map screen with regions to conquer, politics and warfare. It probably doesn't have the tactical battles, but Civ games don't have them and I can just play Total War: Rome if I want that. What I really miss from Centurion is the thrill of expanding the Roman Empire one region at a time, by military or diplomacy, and then trying to hold it all, and Imperator seems to be along those lines.

Last edited:

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
If EU:Rome got 1/10th of the post-release support of their HoI or EU franchises, it probably would have been the gold standard of Grand Strategy games. The base game had a lot to like.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
If EU:Rome got 1/10th of the post-release support of their HoI or EU franchises, it probably would have been the gold standard of Grand Strategy games. The base game had a lot to like.

I completely forgot that they made an EU: Rome spin-off. Whether it didn't sell well or they decided not to support it, it's curious that they would make this new game. Maybe they weren't satisfied with how that conversion of sorts ended up, though, and wanted to build something from the ground up that matched their vision better.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I completely forgot that they made an EU: Rome spin-off. Whether it didn't sell well or they decided not to support it, it's curious that they would make this new game. Maybe they weren't satisfied with how that conversion of sorts ended up, though, and wanted to build something from the ground up that matched their vision better.
EU:Rome was like... gosh, over 10 years ago? I think it came out between EU2 and EU3. It had a lot of pretty awesome elements - and there are some mods that fix some of the issues (basically a similar problem Vicky 2 had where rebellions were just colossal). I hope this game takes the good ideas it had and isn't just some rehash of EU4 or CK2.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
EU:Rome was like... gosh, over 10 years ago? I think it came out between EU2 and EU3. It had a lot of pretty awesome elements - and there are some mods that fix some of the issues (basically a similar problem Vicky 2 had where rebellions were just colossal). I hope this game takes the good ideas it had and isn't just some rehash of EU4 or CK2.

You're right; it was released in 2008. I didn't realize that it was that old. That better explains returning to the setting. It's good that they didn't let a lackluster game (only 117 reviews on Steam and only 66% recommend it) deter them from that, since it's obviously one of the most beloved settings and one with huge potential.

SecretOilersFan

Jul 2, 2015
Calgary
Excited though I was hoping for Victoria 3 though I realize its been a long time since they did an antiquity game. EUIV, CK2, HOI IV and VICKY 2 are some of the rare games I actually anymore that and CIV.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Wow, someone else knows and remembers that game. That game was my introduction to the word ignominious (because, every time that you got your butt kicked in a battle, it labeled it an "ignominious defeat"). I remember thinking, as a young teenager, what a weird word that was. Also, I learned only a few years ago that you can "get it on" with Cleopatra if you have a strong army and choose your dialog options correctly. Why couldn't my teenage self have found that?

I remember renting that on the Genesis... though from a combination of being too young or not having enough time with it (rental) could never get past the Carthaginians when they invaded with elephants.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
You're right; it was released in 2008. I didn't realize that it was that old. That better explains returning to the setting. It's good that they didn't let a lackluster game (only 117 reviews on Steam and only 66% recommend it) deter them from that, since it's obviously one of the most beloved settings and one with huge potential.

Well Stellaris didn't get great first reviews and they've still been supporting it plenty. Paradox has indicated the Rome series is one of their main franchises as opposed to a spinoff one like March of the Eagles or Sengoku, so I don't they're really deterred by reviews as long as a game is a main franchise for them.

jimmythescot

Jul 28, 2009
Edinburgh, Scotland
I remember renting that on the Genesis... though from a combination of being too young or not having enough time with it (rental) could never get past the Carthaginians when they invaded with elephants.
Yeah, I was really young when I played it on the genesis. I still remember learning what a flank was when I was reading the instruction manual and thinking it was the most genius, ruthless and awesome thing I’d ever heard of. Like I said...I was young.

I seem to remember trying to use it and the cavalry would walk right past the enemy if they didn’t stay in a defensive position. I could be thinking of another strategy game, though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->