Impact Thread - Off-Season Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
SENSIBILISER LA COMMUNAUTÉ DES AFFAIRES

À son arrivée en MLS, l’Impact a cherché à engraisser sa base de partisans en menant une opération séduction auprès des 18-35 ans. « Mais on comprenait aussi qu’une grande partie de nos succès antérieurs provenait de la clientèle familiale », a rappelé M. Saputo.
Aujourd’hui, le président réalise que la grande place réservée aux familles et aux groupes lors des jours de matchs explique probablement en partie le Pejorative Slur qu’accuse le club au niveau des revenus en provenance de la billetterie. Dans cette optique, l’organisation entend courtiser de façon assumée le milieu des affaires montréalais.
M. Saputo s’inspire d’une visite au domicile de la Juventus. Le prestigieux club italien, explique le grand patron de l’Impact, joue dans un stade de 45 000 spectateurs où une expérience rehaussée est offerte à une clientèle nantie, ce qui fait en sorte que 80 % des revenus provient de 10% des sièges.
« C’est la communauté d’affaires qui compense pour le partisan moyen. C’est un modèle qu’il nous faut envisager », empresse M. Saputo.

https://www.rds.ca/soccer/impact/les-devoirs-de-joey-saputo-1.6416651

Wish Saputo stadium was built downtown and shared with ALs. Will be challenging for Saputo to attract business types out East. Good luck chasing big pockets but don't forget the base fan or this may backfire.

Last edited:

JunglePete

Jul 21, 2012
Joey actually said he wants to CUT academy spendings.

He is a ****ing idiot.

He's right tho. Why spend on something that rarely works? Better save up that money for transfers for actual talent. The Academy's been around for almost 10 years and we have yet to see a player that an impact for this team, pun intended. Atlanta's academy been around for 2 years and they already have a Huge prospect in George Bello who's already scored a MLS goal at 16 and now the starter.

At a certain point, you gotta stop being in denial, not every team is meant to develop, good move, Joey. Je levè mon chapeau.

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
He's right tho. Why spend on something that rarely works? Better save up that money for transfers for actual talent. The Academy's been around for almost 10 years and we have yet to see a player that an impact for this team, pun intended. Atlanta's academy been around for 2 years and they already have a Huge prospect in George Bello who's already scored a MLS goal at 16 and now the starter.

At a certain point, you gotta stop being in denial, not every team is meant to develop, good move, Joey. Je levè mon chapeau.

Call me when Atlanta sells an academy product to Barcelona.

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014

tenor.gif

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

TRG

Oct 23, 2008
Montréal

By that thinking, since the club isn't doing well, might as well end it.

But nothing about mismanagement.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

JayKing

Go Habs Go
Dec 30, 2011
Montreal
So basically, Joey is saying that the MLS has outgrown the Montreal market. Seems like he's seeking an easy way out towards the CanPL. Cheap ass owner can't leave soon enough. We need a George Gillet type of owner for this club.

JunglePete

Jul 21, 2012
Call me when Atlanta sells an academy product to Barcelona.

Missing the entire point. What's the point on focusing on development if they end up leaving abroad quickly? What's the point of spending money to develop players so they can play for other teams, the Good ones of course? f*** that, I want good players on this team not Barca B

I'm with Saputo on that. Let's cut some funds still work on it and not rely on it to recruit.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
So basically, Joey is saying that the MLS has outgrown the Montreal market. Seems like he's seeking an easy way out towards the CanPL. Cheap ass owner can't leave soon enough. We need a George Gillet type of owner for this club.

A Pierre Boivin type of president most likely. Someone who can grow the business and let soccer people do their job. Oh and blast NDS into the sun.

Reactions: TRG

Dominator13

Feb 20, 2003
hockey city
Dominator13
Cutting the academy spendings has to be the dumbest thing this owner has ever said.

1) This is how ALL top players are developed!!! Everyone comes from someone's academy system. It's a culture reset this city needs, to understand the importance of developing at an early age, and not just playing casually so your parents don't see you stay home playing video games all summer.

2) It took 7 years but we're finally starting to see the fruits of the process. Ballou-Tabla was sold to Barcelona, and if he hadn't we'd have a 19 year old hometown star paid about 200K with 0 transfer fees. Instead, we have that production with Silva who's 10 years older, paid 800K with a 1.5 mil transfer fee. This isn't a knock on Silva at all, just proving a point.

The whole academy system is just dominating everywhere, you have to preach patience for results in 1st division. South American academies have about 100 years of hits and misses on us, but they develop high quality players at a crazy rate.

3) What's financially better for Saputo, getting minimal results with Jackson or Mancosu? For now, the lack of academy players means spending a lot of money on average talent to compensate.

I'm just in disbelief he actually said those words yesterday.

Get a f***ing capable marketing team to promote your product like it should be. Build your team around stars that fans can rally behind, and stop overspending in dime-a-dozan players just to cry about your total spendings 6 months later.

I really hope he does get a partner, someone who will invest so that we can get our Almiron or our Giovinco, a partner that will preach positivity for once.

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
Missing the entire point. What's the point on focusing on development if they end up leaving abroad quickly? What's the point of spending money to develop players so they can play for other teams, the Good ones of course? **** that, I want good players on this team not Barca B

I'm with Saputo on that. Let's cut some funds still work on it and not rely on it to recruit.

I think you're missing the point. Montréal can't be competing with Atlanta, Toronto or LA teams on transfer spending. They have to be clever with the cash they spend and try to emulate what KC/Dallas/NYRB are doing. Develop kids then sell them.

JunglePete

Jul 21, 2012
Cutting the academy spendings has to be the dumbest thing this owner has ever said.

1) This is how ALL top players are developed!!! Everyone comes from someone's academy system. It's a culture reset this city needs, to understand the importance of developing at an early age, and not just playing casually so your parents don't see you stay home playing video games all summer.

2) It took 7 years but we're finally starting to see the fruits of the process. Ballou-Tabla was sold to Barcelona, and if he hadn't we'd have a 19 year old hometown star paid about 200K with 0 transfer fees. Instead, we have that production with Silva who's 10 years older, paid 800K with a 1.5 mil transfer fee. This isn't a knock on Silva at all, just proving a point.

The whole academy system is just dominating everywhere, you have to preach patience for results in 1st division. South American academies have about 100 years of hits and misses on us, but they develop high quality players at a crazy rate.

3) What's financially better for Saputo, getting minimal results with Jackson or Mancosu? For now, the lack of academy players means spending a lot of money on average talent to compensate.

I'm just in disbelief he actually said those words yesterday.

Get a ****ing capable marketing team to promote your product like it should be. Build your team around stars that fans can rally behind, and stop overspending in dime-a-dozan players just to cry about your total spendings 6 months later.

I really hope he does get a partner, someone who will invest so that we can get our Almiron or our Giovinco, a partner that will preach positivity for once.

Calm your t*ts, he didn't say he was gonna fold the academy just spend less on it. Never seen such an overreaction. Ballou is an exception that will happen once a decade. If this team isn't constantly selling players in top divisions then it's barely a 'success'. Up until now, we've been developing players for the USL and Joey is losing money (and isn't the richest). I think it's common sense to spend less

I think you're missing the point. Montréal can't be competing with Atlanta, Toronto or LA teams on transfer spending. They have to be clever with the cash they spend and try to emulate what KC/Dallas/NYRB are doing. Develop kids then sell them.
Not about competing but have more funds for transfers and/or DPs salaries potentially

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
Expos, Act 1, Nordiques Act 2.... Act 3 wouldn't be very surprising. We're just not enough in this province to maintain more than one high profile club. (imho)

JunglePete

Jul 21, 2012
Expos, Act 1, Nordiques Act 2.... Act 3 wouldn't be very surprising. We're just not enough in this province to maintain more than one high profile club. (imho)

I think Montreal will be a good city for a NBA team. IMFC isn't going to relocate, this team just needs a few adjustments and a new project. Cutting off funds off the academy is already a good start in order to have some financial stability. Also, with the brand new CPL, it's going to be a great recruitment source. I'm sure in a few years we'll be able to sign a few players from CanPL that are already MLS ready from Saskatoon.

JunglePete

Jul 21, 2012
oh look DC's DM scored the winning goal. Ain't that a subliminal message. So now they are 6th with 44 points and 1 game in hand. Yup,as predicted...

had no idea Abel Aguilar played for Dallas.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Sooooo many wasted opportunities to start the season :shakehead . This is how it should be I guess... Having to hope another team loses so you get a chance sucks anyway.

JunglePete

Jul 21, 2012
Sooooo many wasted opportunities to start the season :shakehead . This is how it should be I guess... Having to hope another team loses so you get a chance sucks anyway.
what sucks more is by memory, I think it's the first time IMFC misses two postseasons back-to-back. (There's still a 24% chance).

The only positives this season are : Bush, Piatti, Silva, Fanni, Raitala, Lovitz and Taider 50% of the time.

Dominator13

Feb 20, 2003
hockey city
Dominator13
Calm your t*ts, he didn't say he was gonna fold the academy just spend less on it. Never seen such an overreaction.
Funny that once again, you're alone in your make believe logic and you're the only one to tell me this.

The key word in that post was "up until now". Academies take time, there's no rushing things. Mathieu Chouinard was our 1st player EVER to got threw the whole thing and sign with the club. To cut spendings on the academy is to cut funds in the team's future potential succes, period. Why cut when your U-19, U-17 and U-15 teams are all dominating competition?

They have to invest for more for top quality coaches, not less. More and more kids play the sport now, so the curve of promotions to 1st team will go upwards in the next couple years.

Folding FC Montreal was also a very costly mistake. Guys like Meilleur, Choiniere brothers, LBG, Clement Bahiya, etc are spare parts in Ottawa and have minimal contact with Impact management.

If Saputo wants to talk about cutting spendings, stop overpaying marginal players year after year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad