Impact Thread - Off-Season Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

JunglePete

Jul 21, 2012
Guillermo Barros Schelotto or Arsene Wenger to replace Tata. Not an ATL fan but me vuelvo loco if they actually sign Arsene.

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
The following 15 players will not be returning to Ottawa next season: goalkeepers Maxime Crépeau and Callum Irving; defenders Clément Bayiha, David Edgar, Daniel Kinumbe, and Thomas Meilleur-Giguère; midfielders Sergio Manesio and Cristian Portilla; and forwards Gabriel Balbinotti, Steevan Dos Santos, Daniel Haber, Azake Luboyera, Adonijah Reid, Jimmy Sanon, and Tony Taylor. Fury FC would like to thank them for their contributions and wish them the best in the next stage of their careers.

Fury FC roster moves: five core players to return, 15 others released

Some of them might be moving to Montréal. I highlighted Sanon although his rights are not owned by IMFC because he's a forward, could be a decent flyer to take. He was developed by the academy IIRC.

Also, the salaries are out!

MLS Players Salary Guide | MLS Players Association

Piette and Bush are really valuable.

Last edited:
Reactions: Adam Michaels

JunglePete

Jul 21, 2012
They had to badly overpay to get their big three. If they are still willing to do that, sure, they might replace Giovinco fast.

You're talking about Toronto ? Of course they'll be willing to do that and will do it, It's MLSE, they could afford James Rodriguez 80M if they wanted to. They keep on renovating their stadium and it cost more than that. They broke the barrier with the Defoe/Bradley acquisitions and did it even more the next year with Giovinco, getting him right before his prime.

Consider Toronto like a Chinese club. Plenty of options this winter like Balotelli, Juan Mata, Valbuena, Ribery, Cavani, Cuadrado so they are lucky. Will be interesting to follow. Long story short, it's only one bad season and happens to the best from time to time, they won't remain at the bottom for too long...

JunglePete

Jul 21, 2012
Balotelli would be a good get for Toronto. Good upgrade over Altidore, knows Giovinco who recently got called up for their NT and it seems like he could play in CPL and Mancini would still call him. He's having a very slow year at Nice. Altidore consistently linked with Serie A and Ligue 1 clubs, Altidore+$$/Balotelli swap?

JunglePete

Jul 21, 2012
Report: Veteran defender Kendall Waston set to leave Vancouver Whitecaps?

Kendall Waston wants to leave Vancouver in part he's upset that they fired Carl Robinson. I don't think he's an international player and counts as Canadian player. I would get him and ship money, Camacho and Diallo tbh because you know Toronto is all over him atm. How Camacho makes 700k and Waston who is much better makes 550k?

The following 15 players will not be returning to Ottawa next season: goalkeepers Maxime Crépeau and Callum Irving; defenders Clément Bayiha, David Edgar, Daniel Kinumbe, and Thomas Meilleur-Giguère; midfielders Sergio Manesio and Cristian Portilla; and forwards Gabriel Balbinotti, Steevan Dos Santos, Daniel Haber, Azake Luboyera, Adonijah Reid, Jimmy Sanon, and Tony Taylor. Fury FC would like to thank them for their contributions and wish them the best in the next stage of their careers.

Fury FC roster moves: five core players to return, 15 others released

Some of them might be moving to Montréal. I highlighted Sanon although his rights are not owned by IMFC because he's a forward, could be a decent flyer to take. He was developed by the academy IIRC.

Also, the salaries are out!

MLS Players Salary Guide | MLS Players Association

If Crepeau returns, this will result in Bush leaving? To his home state?

Also Sagna is overpaid per MLS Standards. You don't spend that much on wingbacks in MLS. But, many will leave next year so it shouldn't be a problem.

Last edited:

adudeonaforum

Oct 14, 2015
Mtl
Not sure if it was mentionned alredy but M. Choinière, Bahiya, Kinumbe and Yohan Le Bourhis (academy), are all goig to represent the national team at the Concacaf U20.

Also, MDS rumors are persisting in Vancouver.

JayKing

Go Habs Go
Dec 30, 2011
Montreal
Did you guys know that Fanni earns 1.2 million a year? I like the guy, but that seems like a massive overpayment at his age..
His contract is up this season anyways and find me one CB that could've stabilized the worst defense in the league at the time like Fanni did for us that was willing to come here this late in the transfer window.

Reactions: ArtPeur

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
He’s 90% of the reason we’re where we are now

Defense was pathetic before he came

Yup, plus he brings a ton of confidence boost to the team and is certainly a leader on the field. He will be back next year, but, just like for Nacho, they need to find his replacement ASAP. They didn't replace Drogba last year and we've been looking for a proper forward since then (Matteo looked good in the playoffs the year he arrived but has been awful since). Same for Bernier. Yes you could argue Taïder is a convenient replacement, but let's not forget he came in because we lost Dzemaili, so that was in fact a step back. Let's hope they learn from past and recent mistakes, because the league won't regress that's for damn sure.

The team is still within touching distance of the best because of Nacho's heroics and Garde's contacts, but another awful Winter mercato and we could be bottom feeders...

The beautiful thing about Soccer is that there's so much talent worldwide that it's doable to build a winning team from the ashes of an awful team, but since the Impact is a penny-pinching franchise, we can't bank on the cheese money being a factor à la MLSE/Home Depot/AEG.

JunglePete

Jul 21, 2012
His contract is up this season anyways and find me one CB that could've stabilized the worst defense in the league at the time like Fanni did for us that was willing to come here this late in the transfer window.

Although he is very good, he's still massively overpaid for a CB that is 36. I gotta agree with D13 here. I do realize it was an extreme emergency but is he going to earn as much next year? Seeing all these players getting so much money made me realize now why Taider is a DP, just no salary cap space.

Sagna earning 500k for half a season is excessive, it was once again maybe an emergency method. But in a full season with the same salary he would make 1M? So Sagna + Fanni = 2,3M? and Camacho 700k? I don't even know where to begin. I thought all we needed were tweaks for our defense but we need some re-adjustments. If they earn as much next year, it's goodbye Sagna and Fanni (more Sagna). I hope they accept a pay cut but you can't be spending 2M on 2 aging defenders in MLS.

Let's get some inspiration from them :

Last edited:

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
Did you guys know that Fanni earns 1.2 million a year? I like the guy, but that seems like a massive overpayment at his age..
He's a stud though. Big reason for the amazing turn around. I wouldn't be surprised if he got nominated for D of the year in MLS.

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
Although he is very good, he's still massively overpaid for a CB that is 36. I gotta agree with D13 here. I do realize it was an extreme emergency but is he going to earn as much next year? Seeing all these players getting so much money made me realize now why Taider is a DP, just no salary cap space.

Sagna earning 500k for half a season is excessive, it was once again maybe an emergency method. But in a full season with the same salary he would make 1M? So Sagna + Fanni = 2,3M? and Camacho 700k? I don't even know where to begin. I thought all we needed were tweaks for our defense but we need some re-adjustments. If they earn as much next year, it's goodbye Sagna and Fanni (more Sagna). I hope they accept a pay cut but you can't be spending 2M on 2 aging defenders in MLS.

Let's get some inspiration from them :

NYRB have a good bargain defense indeed, I believe most of those were developed by the academy too!

JunglePete

Jul 21, 2012
NYRB have a good bargain defense indeed, I believe most of those were developed by the academy too!

Nope none of them, just checked ; Kemar Lawrence comes from the Jamaican league, Aaron Long drafted in 2014 (36th overall), Michael Murillo from the Panamanian league, Tim Parker drafted in 2015 (13th overall). See how even NYRB take their draftees seriously :popcorn:;) and good scouting network in Central America.

EDIT : Aaron Long was drafted by Portland though. Went around USL, before settling with NYRB 2. Tim Parker as we all know was with Vancouver. I'd bet it's his last season in MLS.

JunglePete

Jul 21, 2012

Not sure if that's better than Arsenal IMO. He was never gonna get more playing time over Iwobi for sure but at Spurs he'll be behind Son at LW, Alli, Eriksen at CAM, so not sure what's the logic behind it. Unless one of them is on the move or Son will play at CF. No matter what, Miggy will be an ambassador to the league wherever he goes.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Yup, plus he brings a ton of confidence boost to the team and is certainly a leader on the field. He will be back next year, but, just like for Nacho, they need to find his replacement ASAP. They didn't replace Drogba last year and we've been looking for a proper forward since then (Matteo looked good in the playoffs the year he arrived but has been awful since). Same for Bernier. Yes you could argue Taïder is a convenient replacement, but let's not forget he came in because we lost Dzemaili, so that was in fact a step back. Let's hope they learn from past and recent mistakes, because the league won't regress that's for damn sure.

The team is still within touching distance of the best because of Nacho's heroics and Garde's contacts, but another awful Winter mercato and we could be bottom feeders...

The beautiful thing about Soccer is that there's so much talent worldwide that it's doable to build a winning team from the ashes of an awful team, but since the Impact is a penny-pinching franchise, we can't bank on the cheese money being a factor à la MLSE/Home Depot/AEG.

Are you complaining simultaneously that the Impact pinches pennies but paid too handsomely for Fanni and Sagna? Those two guys transformed the team!

Camacho might have to be the odd man out, he is not quick enough to be a consistent positive force.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Good to see. Those 8500 are die hard fans. I was checking on Twitter and most of these people were basically saying they’d pay wtv the price is.

That is encouraging. I've really appreciated the atmosphere that the stadium has created. And that's not just the Ultras and the 1642 sections, but the fact that most games, it's a full stadium. You see the benefits of such an atmosphere because it gives IMFC an edge and helps them win.

At Saputo Stadium, IMFC beat Sporting KC, NYRB, Crew, drew with NYCFC and DC United. And even though they lost to Atlanta, they were for the most part the better team on the pitch.

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
Are you complaining simultaneously that the Impact pinches pennies but paid too handsomely for Fanni and Sagna? Those two guys transformed the team!

Camacho might have to be the odd man out, he is not quick enough to be a consistent positive force.

I invite you to read my post again, and point out to me where I complained about Fanni's salary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad