Impact of RSL disputes on 2007 draft?

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
It won't affect rankings--the scouting services are paid to rank talent--not worry about legal factors--it may affect how actual teams draft however--since many GM's won't RISK early round picks on such uncertainties with this issue until it gets resolved...(many thought it would get resolved by now--so teams did take Russians
in the first two rounds last draft--but now that the issue has dragged and may not be resolved,those picks coud be in jeoapardy by June 2008---so this time GM's will be more reluctant to take Russians early in the draft...

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Yeaa like in the 2005 and 2006 and also u got just 2years to sign them after their draft

That part of the new CBA applies to parties to the IIHF Transfer Agreement. Russia isn't a party to the agreement. As far as I know, the rights status of Russian draft picks is determined by the old CBA, making it possible for teams to hold their rights indefinitely.

[FIELDSET="Re:IIHF Player Transfer Agreement
NHL/NHLPA Letter Agreement"]This Letter Agreement is a supplement to the Collective Bargaining Agreement ("CBA"), dated as of July 22, 2005, is incorporated therein and sets forth our agreement relating to the NHL's eforts to secure a new Player Transfer Agreement with the International Ice Hockey Federation ("IHF").

1. The parties agree that the NHL's agreement to eliminate "defected
status" for European draftees is necessarily and expressly contingent on its ability to negotiate a satisfactory IHF Player Transfer Agreement, which is substantially consistent with the terms of past Agreements. In the event the NHL is unable to negotiate a satisfactory successor IHF Agreement or make other comparable arrangements to allow NHL Clubs the opportunity to sign European players, the changes to "defected status" contemplated in Articles 8 and 10 of the CBA will automatically be tolled, and the parties will consult regarding whether corresponding and resulting changes to the CBA should be made.

2. The CBA provisions pertaining to "defected status" will be maintained
"as is" in the CBA, but the understanding of the parties is that such provisions will have no further force or effect in the new CBA upon the completion of a new IIHF Player Transfer Agreement. Only in the event that no such replacement Player Transfer Agreement is successfuly completed, shall such provisions have potential application on a basis to be negotiated by the parties.
[/FIELDSET]

Slitty

Oct 23, 2005
That part of the new CBA applies to parties to the IIHF Transfer Agreement. Russia isn't a party to the agreement. As far as I know, the rights status of Russian draft picks is determined by the old CBA, making it possible for teams to hold their rights indefinitely.

Even ignoring the said player reaching UFA age?

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Even ignoring the said player reaching UFA age?

Age isn't the only requirement for UFA. They'd still need to have 4 accrued seasons to be eligible.

[FIELDSET="10.1 Unrestricted Free Agents."]
(a) Group 3 Players and Free Agents.
(i) For
(A) the 2005-06 League Year, any Player who is 31 years of age or older and has four (4) Accrued Seasons as of June 30 of the end of the 2004-05 League Year,
(B) the 2006-07 League Year, any Player who either has eight (8) Accrued Seasons or is 29 years of age or older as of June 30 of the end of the 2005-06 League Year,
(C) the 2007-08 League Year, any Player who either has seven (7) Accrued Seasons or is 28 Years of age or older as of June 30 of the end of the 2006-07 League Year, and
(D) the 2008-09, 2009-10, 2010-11 League Years, any Player who either has seven (7) Accrued Seasons or is 27 years of age or older as of June 30 of the end of the 2007-08, 2008-09, 2009-10 League Year, as the case may be, and

in either case has four (4) Accrued Seasons or more on June 30 of the end of the applicable League Year, shall, if his most recent SPC has expired, with such expiry occurring either as of June 30 of the applicable League Year or June 30 of any prior League Year, become an Unrestricted Free Agent.

[/FIELDSET]

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I'm under the impression that the two year rule applied to Russians even though they are not part of the NHL-IIHF deal. I thought that Bettman extended the deadline to sign Russian draft picks (for all Russian picks up to and including the 2002 draft), extending the deadline to next year, where picks from the 2003 draft will be included as well as 2005, with 2004 draft picks not having to be signed until June 2008.

For the Habs, I know they were supposed to lose the rights to Konstantin Korneev ('02), Andrei Sidyakin ('97) and Andrei Kruchinin('98) but didn't. I beleive they have until 2008 to sign Alexei Emelin ('04).

That part of the new CBA applies to parties to the IIHF Transfer Agreement. Russia isn't a party to the agreement. As far as I know, the rights status of Russian draft picks is determined by the old CBA, making it possible for teams to hold their rights indefinitely

The IIHF deal runs out this summer, so perhaps the NHL can get Russia to join this time around if something can be worked out, which would hopefully clear all this up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad