Impact of Kraken on WHL in US PNW

TSK1020

What are your guys' take on the future of WHL in US PNW? Do you think Tips or Birds may have to move with Kraken diluting market share or will all boats rise?

Last edited by a moderator:

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
The Outskirts of Nutria Nanny
At it again?

The WHL refrained from going down the road with Anchorage more than 30 years ago, and the league’s economy is just as bus-league now as it was then.

The one thing I noticed… first Winterhawks game in Kent is usually close to a sellout. This month, just over 3,000. But you can’t take COVID out of the equation for now.

Keep watch on the Portland-Seattle TV deal. In 21-22, as was in 19-20, 8 games between the teams will be telecast jointly. Some games with other NW teams used to be picked up, but that hasn’t been the case for a little while. The station in Portland that carries the games just added 20 University of Portland games (soccer, basketball, baseball). Are they hedging? Will the hockey broadcasts continue? That’s the real indicator species.

Last edited:

TwineFlue

Jul 19, 2021
Everett
Not really, the Silvertips game do a good job of not really overlapping with the Kraken schedule. I get to watch more hockey than ever now. I haven't seen the big 6,000-8,000 fan nights this season but I think it is due to Covid. I can't say I know too much about the T-Birds situation, but I know some minor hockey teams will not attend events within the King county. Perhaps this effects the T-birds down the line??

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
The WHL teams in washington aren't going to go poof just cause there's a NHL team. The virus mess is impacting the WHL teams in the US. The NHL team will help grow the sport of hockey helping the WHL teams recover from the impact of the virus.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad