IMO...we won despite Luongo not because of Luongo

Status
Not open for further replies.

High flyin' Habs*

Is it just me or did Cole make Luongo looke like he was breathtaking or something?

pei fan

Jan 3, 2004
Are you guy's nuts?Luongo comes in cold in a situation where Brodeur has been
great( but not tested that much)and everyone expects Brodeur to backstop them
to the championship including Luongo.His team gets outplayed for the first time in the tournament(and it had nothing to do with rebounds),he made several great saves and was named second star of the game.Looks to me like a great back-up
performance in an immpossibly high pressure situation.

Psycho Papa Joe

Porkchop Hoser
Feb 27, 2002
Cesspool, Ontario
Visit site
Dantonius said:
Just wondering, since so many people here seem to be experts on goaltending--why is that teams continually pile up shots on Luongo? Why is he always "hung out to dry" and why is the defense in front of him always "mediocre"? Why is he always forced to make a spectacular save?

Yes, I know that the Luongo bashing has gone somewhat overboard, but so has the PRAISING. When you watch Canada with Brodeur in net you can feel the confidence that they have in him--period.
It means Luongo is extremely talented, but due to inexperience is still not very fundamentally sound. He creates work for his defense because he doesn't stickhandle as well as other goalies and has mediocre rebound control. Luckily he has so much natural skill, he can compensate for his mistakes. A guy like Brodeur on the other hand, just doesn't make many mistakes and makes life extremely easy for his defense. In the gold medal game, I would rather have a healthy Belfour or Brodeur, but Luongo is still a great third option.

CoupeStanley

Dec 1, 2003
Nicolet
coupestanley.com
I was scared when the game began and I saw Luongo. He was shaky. He gave bad rebound all game long, gave 3 goals that should have been stop. Was sitting on his fat butt on a play and doesnt look like he was even trying to get up in position. After the 3rd goal they showed him and he was taking a couple of big breath to chase the pressure. That surely doesnt look like someone who is in control.

If Roberto is in goal again Tuesday, I gonna be scared again.

BCCHL inactive

CoupeStanley said:
gave 3 goals that should have been stop.

CZE Goal 1: Deflected shot that surprised everybody. Those happen, not Luongo's fault.

CZE Goal 2: Beautiful powerplay setup by the Czechs. Luongo's options were to either let in the original shot from the point, or kick it out, giving the inevitable rebound that the defence should have been there to clear away.

CZE Goal 3: Horrible defensive breakdown that resulted in a well-placed screen shot. If you can't see it, you can't stop it unless it hits you.

None of the Czech goals were Luongo's fault. He played magnificently and is the reason the Czechs did not score 6 goals last night.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
I will freely admit that Luongo let in a pair of suspect goals (first and third goals). Those are pucks he normally stops. However, Canada doesn't win that game without him. He made two stellar save in overtime. He made a few others in the third period when the game was tied at 2-2, and again at 3-3.

No matter what Luongo did last night, he can do no good in the eyes of some ignorant Canadian fans. Eric Brewer and Kris Draper have suffered the same heat. It's too bad that some fans watch with only preconceived notions, instead of basing opinions on facts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad