Immonen v. Goc

Limey FK

Feb 25, 2004
Philadelphia, PA
As a fan of both teams, I'd rather have Goc far and away. He has good wheels, controls the puck well, sees the ice well, is excellent defensively. In fact, he's already one of the better defensive forwards on the Sharks.

He makes a very good #3 centerman right now and if he gains more confidence offensively, he has the tools to be a good #2 center in the NHL.

As for Jarkko, he quietly does little things well and gets himself into good position. He doesn't have the same skillset at Goc though. Unfortunately, part of it may be due to ranger mis-management, but I don't see him sticking in the NHL any time soon. Goc is already an important part of his team and definately has a bright future.

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
Goc is crazy overrated by sharks fans.

He has speed, but usually doesn't even come close to finishing.

Oh, and he is like the 3rd/4th best defensive forward on the team.

He's not overrated by anyone. He just doesn't score enough for you to notice him.

Goc is probably the best faceoff man the Sharks have as well as one of the better defensive forwards on the team (as a 23 year old). Yea, he is snakebitten around the net but scoring goals isn't his game. He is more of a setup type on offense and its kinda hard to rack up the points giving the puck (or not since they usually aren't around) to Patrick Rissmiller or Mike Grier. Add to the fact that he is the only forward on the team not to have spend anytime with on Joe's or Patty's line.

It's not a coincidence that nearly every game the Goc's line is called out for their effectiveness whenever they are out on the ice. However, to the fairweather fan, it means nothing if he isn't scoring.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I see them both as future 3rd line centers but I'd rather have Goc, solely because his defense is a step above Immonen's even if Immo has better slightly better offensive instincts.

TheDanceOfMaternity

Jul 13, 2006
San Francisco, CA
He's not overrated by anyone. He just doesn't score enough for you to notice him.

Goc is probably the best faceoff man the Sharks have as well as one of the better defensive forwards on the team (as a 23 year old). Yea, he is snakebitten around the net but scoring goals isn't his game. He is more of a setup type on offense and its kinda hard to rack up the points giving the puck (or not since they usually aren't around) to Patrick Rissmiller or Mike Grier. Add to the fact that he is the only forward on the team not to have spend anytime with on Joe's or Patty's line.

It's not a coincidence that nearly every game the Goc's line is called out for their effectiveness whenever they are out on the ice. However, to the fairweather fan, it means nothing if he isn't scoring.

He was the sharks first pick of the 2001 draft.

Maybe he has more potential then Wilson will let him show, but it would be nice if his ceiling was more than 30 points.

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
He was the sharks first pick of the 2001 draft.

Maybe he has more potential then Wilson will let him show, but it would be nice if his ceiling was more than 30 points.

Who says it is? Some guys don't come gunning out of the gate, especially playing with the likes of Patrick Rissmiller. He's in his second year in the league...look how long it took another German (and former Shark), Marco Sturm before he started to contribute more offensively. The skill is there and the points will come. And the fans will be glad he is around if one or both of the big guns leave via UFA.

Choice

Nov 21, 2004
nyc
I think Goc is a safer bet to have a long, solid career, albeit maybe on some team's third line, while Immonen has a little more offensive playmaking upside.

Choice

Nov 21, 2004
nyc
Maybe he's improved but I watched Goc play a lot in the AHL and was not so impressed with his playmaking abilities

BobMarleyNYR

Rangers future on D
May 2, 2004
Alphabet
I feel like I'm taking crazy pills again...

I think Goc and Immonen are in a similar mold. They almost cancel each other out because, while Goc has NHL-level skating, Immonen's offensive skill is on a higher level; you're delusional if you think otherwise. Immonen's vision, hockey sense, playmaking and shooting ability is clearly a notch above those of Goc. To think otherwise is delusional, but go ahead.

If Henrik Sedin is a second line center, Immonen sure is.

USF Shark

Zôion politikòn
Aug 19, 2005
DC Area
Goc will probably be good for 15 goals and 30 assists in his best years....but his greatest asset is his ability to win key faceoffs and be a solid defensive player.

superpie

Aug 24, 2006
San Jose

I agree with you Patty Ice, Goc is not getting the reconignition because hes not lighting the lamp but he does alot of the little things and with some devolopment and learning from the veterans (Brown.Grier,etc.) he will eventually get his scoring nitch and has a defensive responsibility

SuperMats

Dec 19, 2006
Saskatchewan
this is a little off topic.. but on my nhl 07 game, I signed Immonen and he was a superstar after one year. like it has anything to do in real life

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad