IMG Fires First Salvo...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lanny MacDonald*

And you know what? I agree with IMG. All teams knew that the players in question were drafted under the old system and they had a deadline they would have to live by. The myopic GMs did not think this would last this long and did not bother to sign their players. The hope was for a quick resolution that would see these guys come cheaper. The teams gambled, and they lost. To friggen bad. Put 'em back in the draft and make it really interesting.

mackdogs*

I could live with players going back into the draft, but not if they all become UFAs. This move reeks of greed, which is why we're locked out to begin with. God damn agents.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
Ok, so what happens if they declare themselves free agents, and the new CBA is signed declaring rights are retained by their old teams?

Lanny MacDonald*

mackdogs said:
I could live with players going back into the draft, but not if they all become UFAs. This move reeks of greed, which is why we're locked out to begin with. God damn agents.

That's why I said send 'em back to the draft. nless they were drafted as 19 year olds and played in the CHL they have no legs to stand on, even using the old CBA. Throw 'em back in the draft and be done with it. Give IMG that bone.

bah, make'em all free agents, RFA's, draftees, 2005 un-drafted's, the lot of 'em. With the cap is in place, and the small amount of players that are still signed to teams, you could just freshen up the whole league by cutting everyone loose and having them be subject to all the new conditions. Consider it a MASSIVE market correction.

The rookies would still be subject to the entry level system (and a more restrictive one likely). Let the chips fall where they may.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Just send out a nice memo to all GMs that players whose rights were held under the old CBA would be honored even if technically those rights vanished due to this lockout. Sure Carter, Fehr, whoever might be UFAs but good luck to them signing anywhere but Philly and Washington if no other teams talk to them.

I don't think any GM wants to take on the notoriety (read blacklisting) by signing away young talent from other teams. This is why RFA offersheets have been few and far between.

NYR469

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
norrisnick said:
Just send out a nice memo to all GMs that players whose rights were held under the old CBA would be honored even if technically those rights vanished due to this lockout. Sure Carter, Fehr, whoever might be UFAs but good luck to them signing anywhere but Philly and Washington if no other teams talk to them.

I don't think any GM wants to take on the notoriety (read blacklisting) by signing away young talent from other teams. This is why RFA offersheets have been few and far between.

a memo is absolutely worthless if IMG takes the league to court and a judge rules that the players are free agents. this isn't something that the league would ever decide to do on their own, but if a court say they are free agents then the league can't do anything about it. i mean they could appeal it but they can't turn around and say 'hey we sent a memo' and ignore the court ruling

NYR469

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
i'm a bit confused by the reference to all unsigned 2003 & 2004 draft picks...the june 1, 2005 deadline only applies to CHL players drafted in 2003. it effects no 2004 picks and it doesn't affect european and college players from 2003.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
The league could also stall in court, make alot of this moot.

Silver lining as an Avs fan, we could have a signifgant jump in our prospect rating. After Richards everything is gravy.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
NYR469 said:
a memo is absolutely worthless if IMG takes the league to court and a judge rules that the players are free agents. this isn't something that the league would ever decide to do on their own, but if a court say they are free agents then the league can't do anything about it. i mean they could appeal it but they can't turn around and say 'hey we sent a memo' and ignore the court ruling
Being a free agent doesn't mean you get to decide for which team and for what figure you are going to play hockey.

Palffy's a free agent and he can't declare he's going to play for Chicago at $7M/yr. Pulford has to offer him that. If Pulford doesn't offer him that, Ziggy can wish and hope all he wants but he's not going to play for the Hawks.

A court ruling that these players are to be free agents means absolutely nothing if the GMs of the other teams don't sign them to contracts.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Throw in

A)a cap

B)A massive free agent class

C)the 75K threshold for AHL players

This just gives these guys negotiating rights with more teams. There are way too many downward factors in this situation. You'll have a blue chip prospects get a better deal and the rest will take a hit.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
PepNCheese said:
Ok, so what happens if they declare themselves free agents, and the new CBA is signed declaring rights are retained by their old teams?
Easier said then done ..

Agents work for the NHLPA .. The NHLPA is fully aware of this play by IMG to increase the NHLPA bargaining power ..

Why would the NHLPA support this move and then agree to it in a new CBA unless they received something juicy in exchange ..

This is only the Start if no deal by July 1 ..Then agents are going to do the same with RFA and hope to get Heatley, Nash, Thornton, Kovakchuk etc ruled UFA without qualifiers . .

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
I guess my point is this. The league, and the teams, don't want this to happen because it will potentially hurt a lot of the teams' futures. Sure it hits some more than others, but I don't see any GMs going out there and signing prime prospects away from other teams just because technically they can with little to no official repercussions.

Official being the key word in that last sentence.

HSHS

Losing is a disease
Apr 5, 2005
Redondo Beach, Ca
The Messenger said:
Easier said then done ..

Agents work for the NHLPA .. The NHLPA is fully aware of this play by IMG to increase the NHLPA bargaining power ..

Why would the NHLPA supports this move and then agree to it in a new CBA unless they received something juicy in exchange ..

This is only the Start if no deal by July 1 ..Then agents are going to do the same with RFA and hope to get Heatley, Nash, Thornton, Kovakchuk etc ruled UFA without qualifiers . .

you may want to rethink that statement or phrase it a little better... :amazed:

signalIInoise

killed by signal 2
Feb 25, 2005
Latveria
norrisnick said:

Make sure you send a memo to the players and agents:

P.S. Please don't nail us for restraint of trade

Love,
The NHL

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
But wait I thought the NHL could offer what ever contract it wanted to the players, it's not their fault they took all that money. :sarcasm:

Marvin Miller by far the biggest sports union acolyte on earth said his greatest fear was every player being a free agent every year. IMG is trying their best to insure that happens.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
signaliinoise said:
Make sure you send a memo to the players and agents:

P.S. Please don't nail us for restraint of trade

Love,
The NHL

Can't make teams sign you if they aren't interested. How or why the teams aren't interested is going to be tricky to prove (a memo might not even be necessary). Losing unsigned draftees and RFAs is something no GM/team wants to have happen so I don't see too many of them facilitating that concept. Especially if they want to have cordial dealings with the other 29 teams in the future.

mooseOAK*

I don't know why the NHLPA would support this move, it affects a certain number of teams in a bad way but not the NHL.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Ziggy Stardust said:
Agents are certified by the NHLPA. They don't work for the NHLPA. There are agents out there who are not NHLPA certified.
Fair enough if that is what he is getting at ..

Certified by the NHLPA to represent NHL players where the NHLPA sets all the rules for their employment and terms they work under is splitting hairs on technicalities as to the wording of work for ..

NO uncertified agent under the old cba could negotiate an NHL contract, leaving only the player to represent himself as the only other option to get a standard players contract ..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->