Imagine that the league really is crooked. What would you do?

AreBe

This is the Real Are Be and not a Burner account!
Apr 1, 2013
Moron Man can be found in any bar in the city but not on Yonge and King area and not in Yorkville. Many Moron Men about in the inner and outer suburbs of 416.

Moron Man can be found wearing running shoes and track pants, but never goes to the gym, wears a Muskoka Dinner Jacket, a ball cap, eats suicide chicken wings and drinks American beer made in Canada under license. He thinks it is weird to drink tap water with a meal. He rocks a bar stool daily and always goes out to watch the game, and never watches a game at home and without booze, but complains that he does not have money to go see a Leafs game.

Moron Man is a devout follower of the Gospel of Hockey Night in Canada. He thinks the Leafs lack toughness. He secretly hopes the Leafs miss the playoffs so that Dubas gets fired and this stupid analytics department experiment gets replaced with someone who goes by the eye test. Loves good Canadian Kids.

Moron Man cannot trade Ivan Svnesky, who's mother was a Russian figure skating gold medalist who taught him how to skate and who's father was a hockey player who taught his son the fundamentals of the game fast enough. He's young. He's athletic. He has tons of talent. Moron Man would trade him for Patrick O'Thuggo in a heartbeat. O'Thuggo did not want to sign here when he was a free agent because of the Paparazzi coverage . Moron Man delights in pointing out what a great +/-, the fluke stat, he had when he won those cups 15 years ago before all of that surgery after surgery after surgery, back when he was on a line with Ptr Yrop, the great European player.

Moron Man takes personal offence- really takes personal offence- when Canadian cultural touchstones, like the Doctrine of NHL infallibility, get questioned, and knows that the accusations cannot possibly be true.

But they are true - and so the Leafs need to go skills heavy or sit in the penalty box.

Last edited:

Blanche Blanche

Torontoooooo
Dec 2, 2017
Toronto
Pour yourself a glass of Scotch and consider:
1. 1/3rd of the NHL is Canadian. 1/3rd of the cup finalists since 1993 have not been Canadian. There are 2 cup finalists, 1/3rd of NHL is Canadian so that should be 6 finalists a decade and we have 3 decades of Bettwmn so we should have 18 Canadian cup finalists but have only had 5;
2, The NBA had a smell test problem when Patrick Ewing and the first over all pick was granted to the New York Knicks . There were allegations of a frozen envelope. The NBA used to have a big drum with envelopes in it and the commissioner would pick out an envelope for the first over all pick and the allegation was a frozen envelope was used to help NYC. The smell test problem lead to ping pong balls in a bingo machine, I think. And accountant supervision. The NHL had a tanking problem that Bettman fixed using the perfected NBA model, so it is difficult to fix the draft lottery.
3, The issue is not penalties called but penalties not called. I would not be at all shocked if there were more clear and egregious penalties that Boston got away with than Vancouver- would not shock me at all if Boston got away with a lot more than Vancouver. Remember- the issue is penalties not called
4, I want the Leafs to win too- and in my view, we need to consider the League being rigged- that does not make it impossible to win! It can be done, but you need to be the Soviet Red Army team: wave after waver after wave of unrelenting pressure and compete puck control. The key point is this- penalties will be called against the Leafs but not the American opponents.

The raps won the same way.

Superior coaching. Players all stepping up. And the talent and skill was just as good as other top teams maybe even better with Kawhi.

Add in some luck (its always a factor) GSW swept too many teams earlier riddled with injuries and we kept winning while resting Kawhi to explode in finals.

We won.

Leafs need that type of scenario.

We need a better Goalie Tandem.
We need less flashy D

And then we can see if Keefe is Nurse 2.0

And if we get Boston again, maybe the Marchand Pasta line will go cold for once

AreBe

Apr 1, 2013
But for going against:1, The Doctrine of NHL Infallibility, 2, the Gospel according to Hockey Night in Canada, 3, 2 sports media empires that have tied their fate to Canadian hockey mythology, and 4 ,a hockey industry that dines out on those first 2 items, showing serious problems in the NHL would not be meet such a visceral reaction.

Why is it so odd to think that the NHL wants a fat US TV deal to solve all problems but it cannot get it when there is a risk of Canadian teams advancing in the playoffs, but on the other hand, the NHL needs the Canadian teams to pay the bills in the regular reason?

In what manner would it be illegal if it were in fact as I set out?
Why is this so controversial, aside from being hurt because your false consciousness bubble has been popped?

San Antonio has won more than one championship, and the Raptors did it last year- you can win even if the fix is in.

Where is it written that the Leafs cannot have more skill than their opponents, play with greater smarts, speed and skill, and win despite the best efforts of the NHL?

I can tell you what the Leafs cannot do - give the NHL any excuse to put them in the box because it will.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Too many weak markets and high Canadian taxes for the league to grow without revenue sharing.

If the league was crooked like the MLB, (ie the houston Astros) then I would definately stop watching and supporting the NHL.
Every league is crooked
MLB Astros
NBA LeBron
NFL Pats
NHL American teams

TVs Frank

Feb 4, 2020
Pour yourself a glass of Scotch and consider:
1. 1/3rd of the NHL is Canadian. 1/3rd of the cup finalists since 1993 have not been Canadian. There are 2 cup finalists, 1/3rd of NHL is Canadian so that should be 6 finalists a decade and we have 3 decades of Bettwmn so we should have 18 Canadian cup finalists but have only had 5;
Okay, I know this is as pointless as trying to convince you that the earth is not flat, that the moon landing really happened and that George Soros did not plan 911, but please down the crack pipe for a moment and pick up a calculator. Only 22.5% of NHL teams are based in Canada, not 1/3. There is a 77.5% chance in any given year that a Canadian team will not win the Stanley Cup. Meaning that just the numbers alone are against a Canadian team winning.

But there is another reason that Canadian teams may not have competed as well since the early 1990s that doesn’t involve silly conspiracy theories. The exchange rate. Canadian teams have to pay their players in US dollars and for much of the 1990s and early 2000s our dollar was hovering around 60 cents to the US dollar. Canadian teams salaries were 40% higher than US counterparts and this deeply affected the profitability of smaller market Canadian teams like Edmonton and Calgary. It affects their ability to retain stars and to attract free agents compared to US teams. And since the oil crash of the mid-2000s our dollar has been around 70-75 cents on the US dollar and again, this gives US teams a comparative advantage on their salary costs.
This isn’t a conspiracy, just plain old economics.

Papa Cherry

Nov 20, 2011
Every league is crooked
MLB Astros
NBA LeBron
NFL Pats
NHL American teams

The raptors won last year and its the NHLs best interest is for the leafs to make the Stanley cup final against another American team. The leafs are the biggest draw and they supply the most revenue to the league. More playoff games = more money. Not to mention leaf fans fill arenas across North America for road games, and those games have premium prices.

You're reading too many conspiracy theories on Reddit bud.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
The raptors won last year and its the NHLs best interest is for the leafs to make the Stanley cup final against another American team. The leafs are the biggest draw and they supply the most revenue to the league. More playoff games = more money. Not to mention leaf fans fill arenas across North America for road games, and those games have premium prices.

One thing I've also noticed is that on national America television broadcast networks they will feature a game of the Leafs versus an American team, even though they could televise a game with two American teams playing each other. I guess even the American national television broadcast companies understand that some Canadian teams draw viewers and interest across the U.S. That doesn't line up with the supposed pro-American conspiracy either.

Its two bad so much time is wasted on tin-foil hat, conspiracy theories when there's so many other better things to talk about.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
While there are times that I look at the officiating, and wonder; "WTF". While I look at the reality that no Canadian team has won since 1993.... I also realize that half of the first overall picks have gone to Canadian teams in the last decade... sometimes screwing over important US franchises. Would Connor McDavid, and Auston Matthews serve the NHL better, in a other US franchises? Absolutely.

I think there are bias in officiating, and some very poorly called games, but I'm not sure that I'd buy the full NHL hates Canadian teams story just yet.

Have you never watched the footage where Bettman goes behind the closed veiled curtains only to come out to give the #1 overall pick to the Penguins that was Sidney Crosby? It was so shady that you can't even find a youtube video of it. If the draft was done like that again and again where Bettman is simply allowed to go inside some closed room where nobody else resides...no live cameras, no 3rd party institutional auditors...do you think Edmonton gets McDavid or Toronto gets Matthews?

BrannigansLaw

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
Oh yeah it’s the league alright lol.

Damn league and their crooked refs. Foiled our numerous future HOFers from a sure win again. OP simply needs to watch tonight’s game to see why the Leafs haven’t sniffed a cup since Vietnam.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018

Wrong. The NHL has received its TV guaranteed money already from Sportsnet for reg season and playoffs. It is paid pre season. Much like us Leafs season tickets holders and sponsors pay pre season. The only ones who lose if Canadian teams don't make it or advance is Sportsnet. The NHL is sitting pretty. The more Canadian teams that make playoffs only hurt US regional and national TV numbers. This has proven true almost every season so far.

Your point about Leaf fans for road games is very true. But how much does it really add to NHL revenues? It does add. But how much?

Did you watch that sh*t show last night? The reffing was again horrible. Keefe does not lose his mind there because we had competent refs. It was complete game management. With a definite bias to the Rangers. Now we had a house leaguer in our nets so it did not matter but it is clear once again (much like last night) that the better team did not get the calls. Even if we has decent NHL level tending we would have had to overcome both the Rangers and the refs.

Recipe Unlimited

Sep 1, 2019
The NHL isn't rigged, I'm sorry.

I think it was better when you made all your posts rhyme and posted in italics, go back to that if you can please

AreBe

Apr 1, 2013
Was it a conspiracy when Nixon conspired to break into the Democratic party's campaign headquarters at the Watergate hotel? No!
Was it a conspiracy when Kim Philby conspired with the Cambridge 5 to spy for the Soviet KGB against the British and the West? No!
And it is not a conspiracy now as the NHL tries to assure Madison Avenue and the US TV networks that they need not fear ratings cratering success for Canadian teams in the playoffs!

It's as crazy as suggesting the NBA calls its broadcast partners broadcast partners, and as partners, look out for their concerns, concerns such as pushing top 10 metropolitan areas to the finals. Crazy.

It's as nuts as the NBA meeting with officials before a playoff series and giving them instruction video on what is and what is not a foul.

According to Donaghy, Toronto is “not only going against the Brooklyn Nets but going against the league office.”
“They have a very talented team and have to be that much better than the Brooklyn Nets,” Donaghy said. “I have picked Brooklyn to win the series with (Paul) Pierce, (Kevin) Garnett, Joe Johnson and even Jason Kidd. When you look at the coaches – the referees are going to be more active to talk and respond to (Kidd) over (Raptors coach) Dwane Casey.”
What they do is they actually send in a representative from the league office to sit down with the referees at an 11 o’clock meeting in the morning where they go over game film,” Donaghy continued. “They will show the referees what they want called, what they want them to concentrate on, what they feel needs to be called or let go in a series to avoid any problems.”
Donaghy claims that the NBA rigged the manner in which the Nets-Raptors games are officiated in order to secure a matchup in the next round that would generate better television ratings. “In this situation, Brooklyn would be put at an advantage,” he said. “A Brooklyn-Miami matchup would bring great ratings and that’s what this is all about for the NBA and the league offices—bringing in as many dollars as they can.”
As a referee, you get paid an enormous amount of money as (you) advance in rounds,” he added. “You’re being graded in every way you’re officiated. And you’re going to be graded on what they want you to call. So if they say ‘Kyle Lowry is hand-checking Deron Williams and we need that called’, you’re certainly going to call it. If you let something go, you’re going to be dinged with a missed call.” Is The NBA Rigged? Ex-Referee Tim Donaghy Claims NBA Instructed Officials To Favor Nets Over Raptors

But we know that is crazy because the NBA is run by Ivy League lawyer- MBA - Accountant types.

And the NHL by idiots who do not even know that if you want a fat US tv deal to solve your marginal market problem you need to deliver the goods and the goods does not mean a Canadian team in the finals. The idiocy of NHL management proves their integrity.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Every league is crooked
MLB Astros
NBA LeBron
NFL Pats
NHL American teams

It ain't just the team sports either.

I had to stop watching boxing because the corruption was just too much. MMA is trending down the same path too.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
But for going against:1, The Doctrine of NHL Infallibility, 2, the Gospel according to Hockey Night in Canada, 3, 2 sports media empires that have tied their fate to Canadian hockey mythology, and 4 ,a hockey industry that dines out on those first 2 items, showing serious problems in the NHL would not be meet such a visceral reaction.

Why is it so odd to think that the NHL wants a fat US TV deal to solve all problems but it cannot get it when there is a risk of Canadian teams advancing in the playoffs, but on the other hand, the NHL needs the Canadian teams to pay the bills in the regular reason?

In what manner would it be illegal if it were in fact as I set out?
Why is this so controversial, aside from being hurt because your false consciousness bubble has been popped?

San Antonio has won more than one championship, and the Raptors did it last year- you can win even if the fix is in.

Where is it written that the Leafs cannot have more skill than their opponents, play with greater smarts, speed and skill, and win despite the best efforts of the NHL?

I can tell you what the Leafs cannot do - give the NHL any excuse to put them in the box because it will.

So dramatic. I don't beleive in "The doctrine of NHL infallibility". I just don't beleive in your stupid conspiracy theory that clearly isn't true for a long list of reasons.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
It ain't just the team sports either.

I had to stop watching boxing because the corruption was just too much. MMA is trending down the same path too.
I used to watch MMA when it was UFC 1-10 and the 2 bros were running things and the energy drink guy from Mississauga was involved ... but it is now a political machine to I have not seen in many many years

Reactions: IPS

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
I used to watch MMA when it was UFC 1-10 and the 2 bros were running things and the energy drink guy from Mississauga was involved ... but it is now a political machine to I have not seen in many many years

Lol that's crazy. Back in the day nobody on TV would give them any coverage, you'd only hear about it on the radio or some random underground outlet.

Believe it or not the UFC is signed with ESPN now..

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Lol that's crazy. Back in the day nobody on TV would give them any coverage, you'd only hear about it on the radio or some random underground outlet.

Believe it or not the UFC is signed with ESPN now..
There was an Italian guy who sponsored one of my kids teams who had the energy drink company and he had a feed into a couple Mississauga bars .. it was a novelty kinda thing at start but those guys made a killing from it after getting it licensed

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
Moron Man can be found in any bar in the city but not on Yonge and King area and not in Yorkville. Many Moron Men about in the inner and outer suburbs of 416.

Moron Man can be found wearing running shoes and track pants, but never goes to the gym, wears a Muskoka Dinner Jacket, a ball cap, eats suicide chicken wings and drinks American beer made in Canada under license. He thinks it is weird to drink tap water with a meal. He rocks a bar stool daily and always goes out to watch the game, and never watches a game at home and without booze, but complains that he does not have money to go see a Leafs game.

Moron Man is a devout follower of the Gospel of Hockey Night in Canada. He thinks the Leafs lack toughness. He secretly hopes the Leafs miss the playoffs so that Dubas gets fired and this stupid analytics department experiment gets replaced with someone who goes by the eye test. Loves good Canadian Kids.

Moron Man cannot trade Ivan Svnesky, who's mother was a Russian figure skating gold medalist who taught him how to skate and who's father was a hockey player who taught his son the fundamentals of the game fast enough. He's young. He's athletic. He has tons of talent. Moron Man would trade him for Patrick O'Thuggo in a heartbeat. O'Thuggo did not want to sign here when he was a free agent because of the Paparazzi coverage . Moron Man delights in pointing out what a great +/-, the fluke stat, he had when he won those cups 15 years ago before all of that surgery after surgery after surgery, back when he was on a line with Ptr Yrop, the great European player.

Moron Man takes personal offence- really takes personal offence- when Canadian cultural touchstones, like the Doctrine of NHL infallibility, get questioned, and knows that the accusations cannot possibly be true.

But they are true - and so the Leafs need to go skills heavy or sit in the penalty box.

Moron Man also believes he can compete in a corrupt league.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->