I'm sure it's against the rules

Status
Not open for further replies.

speeds

Feb 27, 2002
St.Albert
Visit site
but how about letting another team buy the Ducks, and keep whatever they want from the ANA roster while either buying out the rest or releasing them? Maybe even give them a week to trade away whatever assets they don't need any longer?

Or, if the NHL is going to end up buying and then contracting the Ducks, maybe they could sell the contracts to make the money back instead of having a set contraction draft and having the whole league subsidize it? They might even make money this way.

Reilly311

speeds said:
but how about letting another team buy the Ducks, and keep whatever they want from the ANA roster while either buying out the rest or releasing them? Maybe even give them a week to trade away whatever assets they don't need any longer?

Or, if the NHL is going to end up buying and then contracting the Ducks, maybe they could sell the contracts to make the money back instead of having a set contraction draft and having the whole league subsidize it? They might even make money this way.

What exactly would an owner (let's say Mike Ilitch buys the team) want off that team's roster? Keith Carney? Um...that's about the only player I'd want and I wouldn't pay $100 million for Keith Carney. Also, if he's buying the team, why wouldn't he want to keep the team intact and make money of them? Why put all the good players on Detroits roster? I think owning two teams in the same league is illegal anyway. [/thread]

speeds

Feb 27, 2002
St.Albert
Visit site
I could see why some teams would be interested in players like:

Fedorov
Lupul
Chistov
Rucchin
Giguere
Bryzgalov
Carney
Salei
Getzlaf
Smid
Perry
Kunitz

the second idea seems more likely to me than the first, but even then the league might rather just buy the team, make everyone pay 1/30 th of the price, and then have a dispersal draft where the acquiring team is responsible for the player's contract requirements.

Jobu

Nov 17, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
speeds said:

Hell, why don't we just go back to the days of Jim Norris and his ownership of the Wings, Rangers, and 'Hawks?

This is a great idea. Not.

speeds

Feb 27, 2002
St.Albert
Visit site
who is saying they could run 2 teams?

I'm just saying let someone buy all the players from the Ducks, and add those they want to their team while releasing the rest.

Doesn't seem likely to me (I'm sure the Ducks will either stay in ANA or move before they would ever be contracted), but just throwing the idea out there for discussion.

Flukeshot

Briere Activate!
Sponsor
Feb 19, 2004
Brampton, Ont
The simple concept of one owner buying another's franchise is not possible by the NHL's rules. However...

I believe it would be legally possible to 'merge' the two organizations. That is what happened with the Cleveland Barons and Minnesota North Stars I believe. The Barons merged with the North Stars and Baron player contracts and all of the franchise's assets were transfered to Minnesota.

I'm sure someone who was actually alive (unlike me) at the time could fill us in with a little greater/more correct details.

At the time though NHL franchises weren't worth that much. Likely not even as much as Fedorov's current contract. So the Barons probably saw it as the best available deal for them at the time. However with Disney, they most definitely could find a buyer who'd pay enough rather then 'take a hit' and merge with another franchise. This would really classify as contraction of one franchise with a transfer of property to another. (They do this in auto racing sometimes).

The NHL would not buy the Ducks simply to contract them though as you mentioned as a 2nd possibility. It doesn't make sense for the league to step in and buy them for ex. $100m and then spend all the costs of contracting the team. They'd just let Disney pay for all that if there was no buyer.

A Good Flying Bird*

speeds said:

I've got a massive headache

hockeyfan33

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
this is where teh NHL fails, the ducks should be contracted but Gary Bettman would never admitt his own mistakes.

what next, I guess the NHL should buy the ducks now and name them the Anaheim NHL

MojoJojo

Jan 31, 2003
Philadelphia
Visit site
A failing NHL franchise could be valuable. Think of the worth a last place team has in draft picks. It would be cheap to acquire, could operate with very low payroll, and would be a better development ground for young players than the AHL (where they would get to play big minutes against elite opponents).

When Comcast made a bid for Disney, such an opportunity existed. Concievably the Flyers could have done this to the Ducks. That deal fell through, but I brought such a possibility up on this board back then, and I believe it was settled that one of the franchises would have had to be sold.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad