Post-Game Talk: I'm not even mad. Jets lose 4-0 to the mighty Pens

Status
Not open for further replies.

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
Fairly brutal night. Jets looked mentally defeated, even intimidated by the Pens all-world team. Very few options for the Jets in who to decide to match up against Malkin and Crosby. Little and Burmi by default i guess.

Thank You Leafs and Sens.

If they win Saturday, I think they need to go 7 and 5 to win the division.

ajmidd12

Know-It-All
Apr 16, 2012
This Planet
Man are you guys critical... It was one freaking loss to an allstar team who basically bought the cup this season (or is trying to anyways - stranger things have happened in the playoffs).

The Jets are still sitting pretty. Saturday is a huge game that we need.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Nice practice session tonight.....Pens took us for a walk around the park and honestly I don't really care right now.

We really need to kick Carolina when they are down......right now they are in a huge funk and we get another shot at proving we have a killer instinct on home ice. thank you Toronto and Ottawa for Keeping the Rangers and Canes at bay.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Man are you guys critical... It was one freaking loss to an allstar team who basically bought the cup this season (or is trying to anyways - stranger things have happened in the playoffs).

The Jets are still sitting pretty. Saturday is a huge game that we need.

Just playing devil's advocate, but do you think cup contending teams have this mentality?

wilty00

May 15, 2007
Kelowna/Winnipeg
Just playing devil's advocate, but do you think cup contending teams have this mentality?

Keep trying to convince yourself we're a cup contending team. :laugh:

I'm not even trying to be critical, we're just nowhere NEAR the level that teams like Pittsburgh/Chicago are at right now. That's a simple fact. The sooner you come to terms with it the more you'll appreciate performances like we saw from Pittsburgh tonight.

Not saying it won't happen in a year or two, but to say we're at that level right now is laughable.

Edit: Hurrr I somehow managed to skip over the devil's advocate part of that post. You get the point though.

Critical Mass

Feb 6, 2011
I'm not horribly disappointed. The Penguins are an elite team and it was entertaining watching them absolutely dominate this game. Too bad it was against the Jets.

My concern is with Cormier. Only 3:17 on the ice. Five shifts. Benched for the game after one shift early in the second.

Is this the depth we have at forward in St John's? The Caps might need more help at the trade deadline than the Jets.

Gnova

CowboysR^2
Sep 6, 2011
Jetland
He was gassed. It has to be said - he needs to be in better shape to play his kind of game. If he lost 20-25 pounds and got in shape, he would be an absolute beast all the time. Now, he can just be dominant in spurts. It's not enough for this franchise to take the next step.

Still, when Buff makes a drive to the net, how can there be a clear 2-on-1 going the other way??? That is so clearly the fault of a forward.

The whole "Buff is out of shape omg!!" myth needs to be put on mythbusters.
The organization is okay with his conditioning and he plays big minutes.
His playstyle is not that of a lazy sob.

OmarComin

Jan 8, 2012
Not a good effort at all.

-LLW was the only line that seemed to have any kind of jump consistently. Although, Wheeler was completely shut down for the most part and that ultimately hurt that line.
-Kane had jump, but that was it for his line.
-Joker was invisible until he was put on the point to start that 5on3. Then you noticed he was useless.
-Enstrom probably should have started that PP instead of Joker. We got more opportunities after that. Although, that might partly have to do with Ladd not trying to force a completely unnecessary cross-ice pass.
-Speaking of Toby, I thought he was the only defenseman that didn't completely outmatched or afraid of Crosby or Malkin.
-Buff was bad for the most part. Helped create a little offense but nothing more.
-I'm wondering where the physical confident Bogosian is, because that wasn't him out there tonight. Too afraid to make a mistake it seemed like and that seemed to cause him to get caught chasing...a lot.
-Hainsey wasn't really any better, but he knew when not to chase allllll over the place.
-Btw, I'm almost positive that Hainsey fell down more times then we as a team knocked a Penguin player down. Very little physical play.
-Burmi wasn't good either but neither was most of the team so I don't think you can be too critical of him. If so, then everyone deserves the same treatment. Had a good shift with about 15 to go in the 3rd with helping on a breakout and then forcing a turnover in the neutral zone and got the puck back up the ice in Pens zone. Mostly though trying to do too much.
-I thought Monty played well. Was very poised even after we were down by 4. Too bad the rest of the team wasn't that way.

I think the point of having Jokinen out there first was the probabilty of scoring early in the 5 on 3 is higher than when on 5 on 4. So we score early in the 5 on 3 and then have Enstrom come out with a fresh for the 5 on 4 portion of the powerplay. But it didnt work out. And instead of Jokinen we should have probably used someone else.

ps. This logic sounded better in my head than typed out... sorry if it doesn't make sense. haha

Snot Rocket

HF anti-tank squad
Feb 3, 2013
Winnipeg

All that needs to be said, really.

I be honest, the first time I saw Dave back on stage with Metallica I got a tear in my eye...it was like a dream come true that I thought would never happen. Too bad neither have written anything good since 88-90.

Jest's layed an egg...
Jester__Hat__01.jpg

Oh well, to be expected I guess, they just have to pound through some of the lower rabble to make up some more points.

BTW that was not negative use of Jest's (I just thought it would be fitting since I was using the word Fools.

folix

Jul 24, 2011
I'm not horribly disappointed. The Penguins are an elite team and it was entertaining watching them absolutely dominate this game. Too bad it was against the Jets.

My concern is with Cormier. Only 3:17 on the ice. Five shifts. Benched for the game after one shift early in the second.

Is this the depth we have at forward in St John's? The Caps might need more help at the trade deadline than the Jets.

Problem is Noel simply not trusting young players. For all the good Noel has done for this team, he really is quite ****** when it comes to the development of our younger guys. If we had a good to go team, like Say Boston he would win us the cup. I am going to lose my mind next year if I see Wellwood or guys along that line taking ice time from schief or trouba or Lowry or telgin etc I'm going to start losing my mind.

The refusal to trust your young guys was shown in jok getting power play time on the point over postma.

Chevy is really going to have shove the youth down Noel's throat or we are going to have a big big problem with most of our young players. The worst thing is to have our young guys terrified to make a mistake in fear of seeing the ice for 3min a game. You can't build a team like that.

Snot Rocket

HF anti-tank squad
Feb 3, 2013
Winnipeg
Just came to post this. Glad to help, i want the Jets in the postseason.

Cheers all!!

Damn straight, we want to kick the **** out of each other in the post season, as much as I make fun of the leafs a playoff series would be an epic **** talking brass balls clanging swagger fest.

Piss off 'canes, us Canadians wanna have a knuckle sammich dustup!

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Contender Conshmender.

Every few years, a team gets rolling in spring. Their goalie gets super hot. They get timely secondary scoring. Unsung heroes are made.

What's to say the Jets can't be this team? We have a goalie that is capable of playing out of his mind for extended periods. We have no idea how he will play in the playoffs. We have guys who have struggled to score all year that might just become those scoring heroes.

Just get in. That's all these guys have to do. If they do, I will believe they can win the Stanley Cup until they either win 16 or are eliminated.

Go Jets Go!

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
The whole "Buff is out of shape omg!!" myth needs to be put on mythbusters.
The organization is okay with his conditioning and he plays big minutes.
His playstyle is not that of a lazy sob.

Buff has looked a little disinterested and unfocused of late, don't think Buff has played as well as he did in January since that time.

Thought Tangradi had one of his better games.

The Pens made even Bogo look Clitsome-like tonight.

Once again Jokinen MIA, really don't know what the guy even brings to the team, he made a couple of brutal passes and appeared to turn the puck over a couple of times.

Mittens brutal, could see why he got benched, so much for the notion Noel only benches young guys.

Last edited:

Reed Solomon

GO ✈'s GO
Jul 26, 2011
Winnipeg, Man.
Winning the Southeast is the cup this year for me. Anything more than that is a bonus. If by some miracle the Jets do get to the SCF's, I'd be more than happy. I'd love for this team to prove everyone wrong. I'm not going to hold my breath, though.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
Problem is Noel simply not trusting young players. For all the good Noel has done for this team, he really is quite ****** when it comes to the development of our younger guys. If we had a good to go team, like Say Boston he would win us the cup. I am going to lose my mind next year if I see Wellwood or guys along that line taking ice time from schief or trouba or Lowry or telgin etc I'm going to start losing my mind.

The refusal to trust your young guys was shown in jok getting power play time on the point over postma.

Chevy is really going to have shove the youth down Noel's throat or we are going to have a big big problem with most of our young players. The worst thing is to have our young guys terrified to make a mistake in fear of seeing the ice for 3min a game. You can't build a team like that.

This is why Noel is not the right coach for this team, if we are budding through the draft the. Young guys got to play.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Keep trying to convince yourself we're a cup contending team. :laugh:

I'm not even trying to be critical, we're just nowhere NEAR the level that teams like Pittsburgh/Chicago are at right now. That's a simple fact. The sooner you come to terms with it the more you'll appreciate performances like we saw from Pittsburgh tonight.

Not saying it won't happen in a year or two, but to say we're at that level right now is laughable.

Edit: Hurrr I somehow managed to skip over the devil's advocate part of that post. You get the point though.

.....:facepalm: you're assuming I think we're a cup contender. Where did I say that? No, I wasn't insinuating it at all. I was talking about the people who think losing 4-0 is acceptable. If we want to be a cup contender one day, we have to have the mentality that losing like that with the lack of effort we showed is not acceptable. You have to start somewhere. You can't just assume we'll all of the sudden start being a great team. It starts as a mental game and long before we're talented enough to actually be a great team.

More then anything, I think this season can be the first big step towards that. Ever since Wheeler called out the team(maybe talking about himself more then anything as his game seemed to completely change after that) this team has played like a playoff team and not just a simple bubble team. We're getting there but the team has to bounce back against Carolina or we're still just a nobody. A losing mentality breeds losing. A winning mentality breeds winning.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
I think the point of having Jokinen out there first was the probabilty of scoring early in the 5 on 3 is higher than when on 5 on 4. So we score early in the 5 on 3 and then have Enstrom come out with a fresh for the 5 on 4 portion of the powerplay. But it didnt work out. And instead of Jokinen we should have probably used someone else.

ps. This logic sounded better in my head than typed out... sorry if it doesn't make sense. haha

Logically, it makes sense. lol Too bad reality ain't like that. :laugh:

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Reporter (Lawless?) asks Hainsey if we can learn from this,

Ron Hainsey - "Luckily we won't see these guys again until the Conference Final, in which we'll have a new and improved gameplan".

Oh, Hains. :laugh:

He meant with the Bruins

bazaaa*

He was gassed. It has to be said - he needs to be in better shape to play his kind of game. If he lost 20-25 pounds and got in shape, he would be an absolute beast all the time. Now, he can just be dominant in spurts. It's not enough for this franchise to take the next step.

I agree he was gassed, but I don't think it's just particular plays, I think the overall season is catching up to him. He's been pretty lazy, careless, the last couple weeks, where as he's been damn solid the rest of the year. I don't even care if he loses weight, he just needs to be conditioned. You can be heavy and conditioned, he is not.

Still, when Buff makes a drive to the net, how can there be a clear 2-on-1 going the other way??? That is so clearly the fault of a forward.

I agree on that one play. But on the other, I think the short handed goal, he kinda miss played it at the blue line, and just assumed Enstrom(?) would be back to get it, but he was not, and another Bruin skated right past him to make it a two on nothing.

Overall, it was a great first period, Jets had the pressure on, then the couple chances the Pens get, they scored. I guess mentally, playing one of the best teams, on a massive winning streak, it was probably mentally deflating for the team.. more so, "well that's about it, no way we're coming back against these guys."

Potrzebie

Mar 25, 2010
I agree on that one play. But on the other, I think the short handed goal, he kinda miss played it at the blue line, and just assumed Enstrom(?) would be back to get it, but he was not, and another Bruin skated right past him to make it a two on nothing.

Overall, it was a great first period, Jets had the pressure on, then the couple chances the Pens get, they scored. I guess mentally, playing one of the best teams, on a massive winning streak, it was probably mentally deflating for the team.. more so, "well that's about it, no way we're coming back against these guys."

I didn't think Iginla played tonight ?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad