I'm looking for a new (to me) car

SUBdrewgANS

Let's Go Pens!
Dec 4, 2007
Abington, PA
www.drewklevan.com
My wife and I currently share our current car (Subaru Crosstrek). I drive it to work everyday, she takes the train. But it's getting to the point where we are doing our own things on the weekends and are needing to juggle around each others schedules to make it work.

I drove a manual for years, but my wife doesn't know how to drive one, so when we got the Crosstrek we got it in automatic. I miss driving a manual a great deal andnow that we're looking for another car, I am exclusively looking at manuals.

I'm looking for suggestions. I know manuals are getting harder and harder to come by (in the states).

A few things I am looking for
- A wagon, hatchback, or SUV. Not interested in sedan's or trucks.
- A price tag under $15k
- Mileage can be on the higher side. This car will only really be driven by me on the weekends and a couple days to work during the week. Looking around 70-100k miles.
- At least a 2009 (this is a loan requirement with my bank)

TIA

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
well they made Subie Impreza and Foresters in manual. you could probably find a reasonable mileage not too old one of those for under 15k plus you're familiar with the brand and probably comfortable with your mechanic.

I like the Avant idea a lot.

Also you should be able to find a 2012 Golf R in manual under 15k. Fun car.

SUBdrewgANS

Let's Go Pens!
Dec 4, 2007
Abington, PA
www.drewklevan.com
I did look into all the ones you guys mentioned. I'm going to test drive a 2012 VW JettaSport wagon this weekend. It seems like a pretty good deal.

I do love my Subaru and I had a manual 2005 outback before the crosstrek and it was probably my most favorite car I had. I regret trading it in everyday.. especially with what they gave me for it, I should've just kept it, and added the crosstrek.. :(

rynryn

May 29, 2008
Minny
we were considering a sportwagen too before we bought a new outback. a bit too small for the holiday trips with two kids and two dogs, but without kids it would have been the way to go for "trip" car. we were cross shopping all that stuff though so ultimately she didn't like the Atlas or anything that size as a daily driver--and daily parking in her ramp would have been a chore. like the wagon look so she got the outback. no regrets. drives a bit more like a boat than the sportwagen but then i don't have to drive it. :)

SUBdrewgANS

Let's Go Pens!
Dec 4, 2007
Abington, PA
www.drewklevan.com
we were considering a sportwagen too before we bought a new outback. a bit too small for the holiday trips with two kids and two dogs, but without kids it would have been the way to go for "trip" car. we were cross shopping all that stuff though so ultimately she didn't like the Atlas or anything that size as a daily driver--and daily parking in her ramp would have been a chore. like the wagon look so she got the outback. no regrets. drives a bit more like a boat than the sportwagen but then i don't have to drive it. :)

I would honestly love an outback. But they're hard to come by in manual around here.. and they stopped making them in manual all together in 2014 (in the states anyway)

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
I did look into all the ones you guys mentioned. I'm going to test drive a 2012 VW JettaSport wagon this weekend. It seems like a pretty good deal.

I do love my Subaru and I had a manual 2005 outback before the crosstrek and it was probably my most favorite car I had. I regret trading it in everyday.. especially with what they gave me for it, I should've just kept it, and added the crosstrek.. :(
W

If you can find a '15 Sportwagen in your price range, you should consider it because it's an infinitely better car than the Mark VI-based wagon. Which I hate American spec'd versions because they have that stupid Jetta nameplate no where else in the world has (mostly because for some reason or another, Americans balk at buying a car that is a hatchback derivative, but are somehow OK with buying a sedan derived one).

The 4motion (AWD) wagon and Alltrack are better but there is zero chance you'll find one of those for under $15k.

rynryn

May 29, 2008
Minny
yeah at the local vw there are zero 15's for sale and one 16 under $15k, but it's base base and now AWD. it is and auto though, so maybe there's hope for finding a manual in that price range. resale on manuals is usually a lot less even if they're rarer so it might balance out the AWD cost.
there were excellent incentives on new models when we were shopping about a month away from them getting the 18's in. iirc we could have got a 17' for cheaper overall than a used '15.

rynryn

May 29, 2008
Minny
Going with the Sportwagen. It was listed at $11k and saw it was on the lot since early October.. so took a chance and offered $8500 and acted like I got cold feet over it and then they accepted!
NICE! that's a huge discount--make sure it's not a bomb waiting to go off before their limited warranty/satisfaction guarantee thing wears off. with that much off you can afford to get it inspected by an indie.

SUBdrewgANS

Let's Go Pens!
Dec 4, 2007
Abington, PA
www.drewklevan.com
NICE! that's a huge discount--make sure it's not a bomb waiting to go off before their limited warranty/satisfaction guarantee thing wears off. with that much off you can afford to get it inspected by an indie.

Yeah there’s a 3 day return period. I’m scheduling an appointment with my mechanic on Tuesday to have him look it over for any glaring issues.

The carfax history looked really good, the previous owners took real good care of it and got regular maintenance.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->