GDT: I'm Giving Her All I Got Captain: Devils @ Habs, 2 PM, MSG+

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
It's hard to gauge how good or bad some of these D are with a defensive system that belongs in a beer league

I think they we know the issue is the 80/20 rule applies here. 80% is the talent, 20% is the system. Problem is, the stupid 20% sticks out like a neon orange raincoat at a goth party so it gets all the attention right now because the talent can't come close to executing this system which is why we scream our heads off nonstop about it. If we had the talent issue fixed, the 20% wouldn't really decide games as much as it does.

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
I think they we know the issue is the 80/20 rule applies here. 80% is the talent, 20% is the system. Problem is, the stupid 20% sticks out like a neon orange raincoat at a goth party so it gets all the attention right now because the talent can't come close to executing this system which is why we scream our heads off nonstop about it. If we had the talent issue fixed, the 20% wouldn't really decide games as much as it does.

80/20 rule?

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
I think MTL took like 70+ attempts at the Devils net today and probably should have scored a few more.

For me, the defense was poor again today. Blackwood was good. And the Devils got good luck.

He tends to see a fair number of shots most games and continues to handle it pretty well. Of his 11 starts including today, in 7 of those he has seen 30+ shots and has only twice let up more than 2 goals in those 7 starts.

I didn't think the team looked better in front of Blackwood in this game. They looked like space trash. MB29 just didn't give up any back breaking softies. Also, Montreal blows too.

The team doesn't really look good most games, but from what we are used to, when he is in net, even today, there is still that something that gives a glimmer of hope that the game isn't a complete loss. Is it more on Blackwood because for the first time in a while in net (or most positions for that matter) we know what we can expect each game? Perhaps. But even still, for me at least, when Blackwood is in net, I have more hope that the game will be more respectable and that there is the chance for some consistency.

Azathoth

May 25, 2017
Centre of Chaos
Don’t disagree with this assessment, but what is the talent level required to effectively run Hynes’ system and is that even feasible at the NHL level?

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
My issue with how he used Schneider was how he put him in, in away games when the teams been dog **** on the road

Most of his starts have been in a back-to-back or a 3 games in 4 nights situation, where most teams will play their backup. There are plenty of things to complain about with Hynes this season, but his usage of Cory really isn't one of them, unless you think he should have been exiled the entire season.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Most of his starts have been in a back-to-back or a 3 games in 4 nights situation, where most teams will play their backup. There are plenty of things to complain about with Hynes, but his usage of Cory really isn't one of them, unless you think he should have been exiled the entire season.

I have lots of issues with Hynes, but it is more on a macro level. There is a bad tendency to try and nitpick every single lineup decision he makes, even when the argument makes little sense.

Reactions: devilsblood

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I don't think Hynes purposely sheltered Cory from playing home games, that's just how it worked out.

In his last start he even played at home, and that was after a load of road games where he looked really bad.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
I don't think Hynes purposely sheltered Cory from playing home games, that's just how it worked out.

In his last start he even played at home, and that was after a load of road games where he looked really bad.
Only game he looked serviceable was that 2-1 game in Carolina

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I have lots of issues with Hynes, but it is more on a macro level. There is a bad tendency to try and nitpick every single lineup decision he makes, even when the argument makes little sense.

Yeah HI Eddie. First time long time. In the second period why did Hynes short shift Gabriel when NJ had the puck in the neutral zone? I mean they just dumped it in and changed anyway but he came off a few seconds early and Hynes just watched him. I’ll hang up and listen.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Only game he looked serviceable was that 2-1 game in Carolina
I guess so, but I shortchanged him credit for that one, due to Carolina being a very poor shooting team (25 shots from them is probably like 16-18 shots from most teams) and he let in a pretty weak 5-hole goal on the first shot. But there were a few other games where he probably didn't play as bad as the goals against, like the Ottawa game and the Winnipeg game. I thought his game against Detroit was a very under the radar bad game from him. He allowed 3 goals and we lost by one and two of them were stinkers. One early PP goal that went off him and in, then a shorthanded game winner that he caught and dropped in the crease, that ended up being the game winner.

I was pretty sure he wouldn't be good again like he used to be, but I thought he'd be like he was the last two years. A poor starter, but still serviceable and with good streaks of play, as well as some bad streaks. Much like Marty's last several seasons before his very last one here, where he looked pretty bad. I do remember saying at the end of last year that I thought Schneider would most likely be an amnesty buyout in 2021, assuming there was one, but I did think we'd be able to get a couple more years out of him.

Last edited:

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Mueller doesn't have an incredible ceiling or anything, but I think he doesn't get as much credit around here. I thought he had a strong game again. He's not as good as Greene in his prime or Adam Larsson, but he's pretty good for what he is.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
On second look, I wouldn't nail Blackwood on that first goal. Kotkaniemi didn't have it very long before he shot it by the glove of Blackwood.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Most of his starts have been in a back-to-back or a 3 games in 4 nights situation, where most teams will play their backup. There are plenty of things to complain about with Hynes this season, but his usage of Cory really isn't one of them, unless you think he should have been exiled the entire season.

Which wasn't going to happen given Cory played well in the playoffs last year. It was unfortunate that Cory did return just as we were on the long road trip so he had to get his first few starts there anyway, and the next couple of back to backs were road ones as well.

Hynes this year has gone by the philosophy of play your top goalie in the weaker game and throw the backup to the wolves to give the starter a rest in tough games - some will go the other way of throwing your backup only in weaker games while just playing your starter the tough games. The latter approach is more viable for a really good team that isn't worried about a playoff bubble and knows they can win games with a backup.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Mueller doesn't have an incredible ceiling or anything, but I think he doesn't get as much credit around here. I thought he had a strong game again. He's not as good as Greene in his prime or Adam Larsson, but he's pretty good for what he is.
I think physically speaking Mueller has a very high ceiling, and I think he defends well. He brain cramps when he has the puck though.

The open ice of 3v3 might make it more simple for him. So much easier for him to create space by just outskating his man, which will likely lead to an easy decision as to how to distribute the puck.

Reactions: Camille the Eel

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
Never heard of it? 80% of outcomes come from 20% of the problems. Root cause analysis, pareto diagrams, etc...

Yeah, I don't know how I got to my age and never heard of it.

tenor.gif

Reactions: New Jersey
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->