I'm getting ready for the June draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rather Gingerly 1*

So, how am I doing so far??

Here are a few of my notes:

Montreal should be drafting in the mid-first round this year..say 15th overall. Top prospects like Ovechkin, Barker, Wolski Montoya, etc.... will be gone when Montreal selects. So, who should be available when Montreal selects in the first round? If Montreal gets anyone of these four prospects it will be a good start to the draft for Montreal.

1 - David Bolland may still be there. He’s their best bet at this point. Bolland is a fast, feist, goal-scoring center. Great defensively, good faceoff man who has come into his offensive this season. I compare him to a last year’s Mike Richards.

2 - Mike Green would be my second selection. I generally don’t like taking WHL kids, with so much bad experience in the past. But Green looks like the exception. Green reminds me somewhat of Scott Niedermayer. He has decent size, good offensively with explosive speed and positions himself well defensively. Not afraid of the rough stuff and can lay out the nasty hit from time to time.

3 - Valibik the 6'6" Slovakian - Is another prospect I like. He’s big..no make that huge! He does not embarrass himself with the puck. Is rough and tough and plays with a chip on his shoulder. Could be another Chara down in Ottawa.

4 - Alexandre Picard - Originally, I didn’t like him but he has impressed me more lately. Needs a few years to work on his two-way play. But he has the offensive skills, a good worker, decent size.

The Second Round is more difficult to predict but there should be a number of good prospects still out there. Anyone of these four would be alright with me:

1 - Carl Soderbergom, Sweden, - 6-3, 205 pounds, Carl is a two way player. Goes to the net well, good goal scorer with a great shot. Will score a few NHL goals. He’s decent defensively, skating could use some work and he is a few years away but certainly worth taking in the draft.

2 - Paul Stastny - A second generation player - son of former NHLer Peter Stastny. The top player in the USHL.

3 - Adam Berti - A year behind in his development compared to the rest of his draft mates. Berti missed much of last season with a major injury.

4 - Michael Funk - I first noticed him in the Top Prospects Game. He came across as a competent defenseman who does all the little things well. I think he is going to be an NHLer someday. He has good size, skates well, can handle the puck and makes quick, smart decisions with the puck. I thought he quarterbacked a decent powerplay.

Players I would not select -

Kyle Chipchura - I’m not struck on taking WHL high in the draft because they have the worse success rate of all CHL leagues. Chipchura could be another text book example. He’s a big kid 6'2 195 lbs, strong on the puck, plays well in traffic but just does not have the hands to be a first liner. He’ll never put up big numbers in the NHL. I’m not saying he is a bust but could be an underachiever. Not worth spending a first round pick on.

Andrew Ladd - Did not make the Vancouver Giants two years ago. Makes the Hitmen and then is put alongside Getzlaf and bang...he is supposed to be a star. I think he is benefitting too much from playing on a line with Getzlaf. Which makes him overrated in my book. It’s best to pass on this guy.

sandman08

Dec 12, 2003
Hyderabad, India
Visit site
mike green is obviously my pick from my other thread.. i think it'd be amazing to have a potential top 2 based on green and komisarek.. i mean if komi develops into big and defensively strong player half as good as scott stevens (take out the big hits even) and green develops into anything remotely good as niedermayer and the team is pretty well set for D and their tenders are still relatively young

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I'd like to see the Habs get Valibik and/or Booth (Mich St) Mancari would make a good mid round pick, imo.

Last edited:

Rather Gingerly 1*

Komisarek8 said:
Who said the habs won't trade Hossa or Hainsey to move up ??

Unless they can get the top pick or second overall at least, I can't see any reason to give up so much youth to move up. All prospects after the top two are legitimate risks. There are rumours Schmept has an attitude problem. Wolski is said to be soft, etc...

We stand just a good a chance to get a player at mid-round as we do at 3 or 4 overall.

Gwyddbwyll

Dec 24, 2002
Not stating this as fact because I always find it funny when people are absolutely certain that so and and so will be picked here or there. But I think you'll be disappointed if you are hoping for Soderberg in the second half of the second round.. a lot of people are projecting him as a late 1st round pick.

Also a little surprised at your disinclination for the WHL. I dont know if your stat about the worst success rate is true (perhaps its because they have the most players drafted.. think I read that somewhere) but the WHL is absolutely loaded for defensemen.. Green is only one..

Rather Gingerly 1*

Stevex said:
Also a little surprised at your disinclination for the WHL. I dont know if your stat about the worst success rate is true (perhaps its because they have the most players drafted.. think I read that somewhere) but the WHL is absolutely loaded for defensemen.. Green is only one..

Many Mock drafts have Soderberg going in the early to mid second round

The OHL generally gives the most NHLers. WHL players in the first round have the worse bust/disapppointment ratio of all CHL leagues.

However, I agree Green could be the except to the rule.

RE-HABS

Feb 27, 2002
CANADA
Rather Gingerly 1 said:
I’m not struck on taking WHL high in the draft because they have the worse success rate of all CHL leagues.
Their success rate (WHLers) is high, our past success rate in drafting these WHLers in the 1st round like Terry Ryan, Matt Higgins, Brent Bilideau, Linsdsay Vallis, Turner Stevenson has lead you to believe that they aren't successful.

With Andre Savard and Trevor Timmins picking I'm sure they can get it right this time, they aren't blinded by size, they look for talent and the best kid available.

I think we are due to drafting a Western League boy, we have looked to the NCAA a lot over the years and even Europe. A Canadian boy in the 1st is on the agenda for sure...but from which league.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
WHL gives a lot of NHL players and valuable ones.
Few teams could match a starting line up of Iginla-Sakic-Hossa-Redden-Chara-McLennan.
Of course the weak link is in nets, but other than that, it's top notch.
Think it's a coincidence that 3 of these are Sens? I think not.
Saying that someone is not a good pick because he's from a league that's supposed to be weaker (producing "weak players" like Iginla, Hossa, etc...) is a completely ridiculous statement.
You have every right to not be high on someone. But not because he's from a certain league.
I mean, even the french league has produced Cristobal Huet!

CoolburnIsGone

I think the best d-men come from the WHL. In the past few drafts, we've seen quite a few WHL guys get drafted in the 1st round (2003 - Coburn, Phaneuf, Seabrook, & Belle, 2002 - Bouwmeester, 2001 - Hamhuis, Morrisonn, & Woywitka) that look to be the future of the NHL amongst d-men. This yr is going to have Barker, Green & probably Shultz all drafted in the 1st round. The one position I wouldn't worry about drafting from the WHL is d-men so Green is a good pick in the middle of the round.

Cariboux

Sep 8, 2003
Rimouski
Visit site
In Montreal perspective, I would like to see them pick D Michal Sersen in the 3rd round if he's not already pick and F Mark Tobin in the 4th/5th round. I see them play often and I'm sure they would be great late picks

Rather Gingerly 1*

RE-HABS said:
Their success rate (WHLers) is high, our past success rate in drafting these WHLers in the 1st round like Terry Ryan, Matt Higgins, Brent Bilideau, Linsdsay Vallis, Turner Stevenson has lead you to believe that they aren't successful.

With Andre Savard and Trevor Timmins picking I'm sure they can get it right this time, they aren't blinded by size, they look for talent and the best kid available.

I think we are due to drafting a Western League boy, we have looked to the NCAA a lot over the years and even Europe. A Canadian boy in the 1st is on the agenda for sure...but from which league.

Not just Montreal's drafting record. At about last June's draft, there was an article listing the success percentages of each CHL league. It covered all drafts over the last 20 years, ending in 1999. WHL has the lowest success rate in the first round. The Q had the highest but they sent the least overall number of prospect to the NHL. What bolstered the Q's percentile was first round goalies. They had an incredible number go on to be good goalies ie. Brodeur, Cloutier, Luongo, etc... Compared to the other CHL leagues.

The OHL and WHL produced roughly the same amount of NHLers. The WHL success rate was something like 37% while the OHL came in around 50%. I think the WHL rate was hurt because so many defensemen were drafted and they are higher risk in the first round.

Overall, if you are looking for an elite goalie...draft out of the QMJHL. But not much else unless it is purely a finesse player. The WHL has a high reward but are a higher risk of being a flop.

Rather Gingerly 1*

Cariboux said:
In Montreal perspective, I would like to see them pick D Michal Sersen in the 3rd round if he's not already pick and F Mark Tobin in the 4th/5th round. I see them play often and I'm sure they would be great late picks

I have never heard from them but need to do a little research on them Good post!

Sharkie - Would you select either ahead of Bruce Graham?

X-SHARKIE

Rather Gingerly 1 said:
I have never heard from them but need to do a little research on them Good post!

Sharkie - Would you select either ahead of Bruce Graham?

Hello Ranger, You may want to go to my Bruch Graham post to see what I think of him more. I love that pick, he's got a huge from at 6-6 220....He has so much natural talent. He has a long smooth stride, he's strong on the puck, he has good hands, a nice shot, but the best thing about Bruce is how smart he is. He has great hockey sense, he's very smart, and he has a creative side. Sure he lacks initiative. He may not know how to use his big frame the best yet. Well coached, and given time to devolope...he could be somthing special.

Michal Sernsen is definitly a good player. He would be a very strong pick in the third round as well. The kid is a monster out there, he gives some of the strongest hits in the Q....aside from my boy Steve Bernier :) Sernsen is a defensive first player. He is a bone crushing hitter, he has great positioning as well. Seriosly, it's very tough just to even get around the guy. He also skates very well. He's a very smart player who knows when to join the rush. Very creative and great anticipation leaves me liking this pick alot. He's 6-2 200 so size is good. Another strength of his, is the ability to distribute the puck so well. PP QB? Possibly. Sernsen shouldnt make it out of the 2nd round though.

Mark Tobin...well he has been a good solid player for Rimouski. He hasnt impressed though. He is coachable, at the same time he plays uninterested. He has a good frame, and good skating ability, but I just dont see the hustle and desire. I dont like this pick. Has all around good skills. Nothing special. 4/5th round choice. He has good size, starting to know his strengths and using them. If he continues to play phsyical, he'll be a better player. 3rd line winger tops.

1. Michal Sernsen
2. Bruce Graham
3. Mark Tobin IMO. I love the top 2 but dislike Tobin.

Cariboux

Sep 8, 2003
Rimouski
Visit site
X-SHARKIE said:
Hello Ranger, You may want to go to my Bruch Graham post to see what I think of him more. I love that pick, he's got a huge from at 6-6 220....He has so much natural talent. He has a long smooth stride, he's strong on the puck, he has good hands, a nice shot, but the best thing about Bruce is how smart he is. He has great hockey sense, he's very smart, and he has a creative side. Sure he lacks initiative. He may not know how to use his big frame the best yet. Well coached, and given time to devolope...he could be somthing special.

Michal Sernsen is definitly a good player. He would be a very strong pick in the third round as well. The kid is a monster out there, he gives some of the strongest hits in the Q....aside from my boy Steve Bernier :) Sernsen is a defensive first player. He is a bone crushing hitter, he has great positioning as well. Seriosly, it's very tough just to even get around the guy. He also skates very well. He's a very smart player who knows when to join the rush. Very creative and great anticipation leaves me liking this pick alot. He's 6-2 200 so size is good. Another strength of his, is the ability to distribute the puck so well. PP QB? Possibly. Sernsen shouldnt make it out of the 2nd round though.

Mark Tobin...well he has been a good solid player for Rimouski. He hasnt impressed though. He is coachable, at the same time he plays uninterested. He has a good frame, and good skating ability, but I just dont see the hustle and desire. I dont like this pick. Has all around good skills. Nothing special. 4/5th round choice. He has good size, starting to know his strengths and using them. If he continues to play phsyical, he'll be a better player. 3rd line winger tops.

1. Michal Sernsen
2. Bruce Graham
3. Mark Tobin IMO. I love the top 2 but dislike Tobin.

I agree with you and Tobin is showing very good signs since christmass so I think he's on his way. If he continue to play like that, he would be a great player on a checking line

Sweeney

Nov 29, 2003
Rimouski
Visit site
Mark Tobin is one of my favorite player of the Oceanic crew, Mark and J-S Coté seem to be the two best hardworker on the team, they never give up. But for sure Tobin has not the talent to be a top line player, but with the physic he has (he is the top 10 in Hits in the Q) and is ethic he can put some decent number on a 3rd line.

He is getting better every game and i would love that he'll be draft by the habs

As for Sarsen, the team is better with him... when he is on the line-up we play a lot better... but he has only play 40 games this year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->