• Thread starter A Good Flying Bird*
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jazz

TinCanCommunications said:
Boo hoo.
We lost.

We put a great team in, but we lacked chemistry, leadership, speed, and defensemen in the transition game.

It's a two week tournament. And you're playing for your life within 7 or 8 days of your first scrimmage.

It ain't always gonna work. It just ain't.
Those guys were playing hard. They just didn't click.

It's gonna happen like that. It takes more than big names on a jersey to win gold.

Canadian fans need to settle down and stop acting like such spoiled babies.
How many Canadian hockey fans wanted to go back to amatuers after 2002?
Surely none of guys I partied with?

I'm as disappointed as the next guy. But we'll be in the hunt in 2010.
Cheer up. And stop acting like such babies in front of the world.
:clap: :clap:

I agree wholeheartedly!

I think Canadians fans are a bit arrogant as well, since many I talk to claim that the World Cup is the most prestigious elite hockey tournament...it's not. The Olympics are better for the game worldwide (ie, reaching a farther world-wide audience), plus none of the players are rusty, plus it will be held in different parts of the world!

shawnmullin

Jul 20, 2005
Swift Current
Boo hoo.
We lost.

We put a great team in, but we lacked chemistry, leadership, speed, and defensemen in the transition game.

It's a two week tournament. And you're playing for your life within 7 or 8 days of your first scrimmage.

It's gonna happen like that. It takes more than big names on a jersey to win gold.

I agree 100%, but whiney message board fans don't represent all Canadians. I think most of us are just sad and dissapointed.

Those who are angry need to get a life. These guys don't owe us ANYTHING.

Feb 24, 2004
By far the best team on paper, not even close to the best team on the ice....that sums it up.

I mean at some point you get ticked off that Aki Berg and Martin Erat look like all stars.

But its also important to just try and forget it. We won last time around, even if we beat Russia we'd still have to get by two other great TEAMS. It's just a very difficult tourney to win.....

The great thing about sports is that baseball season/the world cup/hockey/basketball playoffs are all right around the corner.

Makes this loss easier to deal in the long-term.....not the short-term of course. :) :)

Bacchus

Nov 11, 2002
Dickes B
Visit site
shealy04 said:
Couldn't agree with you more on that.

However, you can still be extremely angry/sad/upset about Canada losing while still respecting the other nations and their great teams... but I'm sure you are speaking on the people who have taken it too far with their complaints, making it sound as if Finland, Sweden and other nations have no reason for being where they are in this tourney... because, you're right, that is just ludicrous.

Good words. And sadly, I'm not sure, all posters here on this board do. :(

Milpool

Dec 7, 2005
Boo hoo.
We lost.

Wow, logical reasoning on these boards! You rule!

Anyway, I couldn't agree more. Maybe these folks just need to get laid or something.

mytor4*

i wanted canada to win as i hope most canadians did.but i am not upset at all that they did not . the olympics is an 8 game tornament .thats it .i don't put much into an 8 game tornament win or lose. it's not that important. now the stanley cup finals is another thing. even if my team is bounced out early i',m still glued to my tv right to the end. when it comes to hockey the only thing that counts [TO ME] is the stanley cup. 16 games you have to win and teams playing are more prepared going into it.losers have no excuses in the stanley cup playoffs.

shawn_kemp*

Flash Walken said:
did anyone REALLY care?

You did. That's why you're here. That's why you're saying that no one cared. You want this defeat to look unimportant, like a minor league game. But no. It was a colossal failure (Bob McKenzie).

edd1e

Sep 11, 2004
Helsinki, Finland
Boo hoo.
We lost.

Fine words :clap:

Losing teaches more than winning. :teach:

pei fan

Jan 3, 2004
Sure, chemistry,leadership,speed,and defensemen in the transition games are not important ingredients to a great team. :sarcasm:

But we lacked alot more than that.Where the heck was the passion.The attitude of ho hum we lost from some of the players was absolutely maddening :madfire: .

Where the heck was the third highest scorer in the NHL? Where the heck was the best young Hockey player Canada has produced since Mario Lemieux?

RangersFan88*

Boo hoo.
We lost.

:clap:

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
leafs4thecup said:
By far the best team on paper, not even close to the best team on the ice....that sums it up.
The New York Rangers syndrome, even if they mostly liked to have the by far highest payroll. :sarcasm:

But seriously, it must have been a thing about chemistry. Canada had a hard time making things click, especially in the offense. They had some goalpost out when they could have hoped for goalpost in. The Canadian team wasn't just filled with stars though, players like Draper got their spot.

I guess it's up to the Canadian staff to analyze things on what went wrong, so that the errors won't be made again next Olympics.

I think it was kind of weird that Canada didn't pick the players that have been the hottest this season, but seemed to rely on the old names instead. I mean come on, Lemieux had a sure spot from Gretzky, even though he could barely play anymore. It was Lemieux who had to say "Seriously, there are alot betters players than me out there right now." in the end, Gretzky didn't scratch him.

Ar-too

Zealous Scrub
Jan 8, 2004
Columbus, OH
Kinbote said:
Only losers accept defeat. This was a team made up of some of the best players in the world there is no excuse for them finishing 7th. They played like garbage and deserve to get ripped for it, same goes for the coaching staff and the people who put the team together including Mr. Gretzky.
That's true of the participants, not the fans. Fans are not participants, merely observers. To think we can take part in fixing the problems directly is dillusional.

X0ssbar

Boo hoo.
We lost.

More :clap: :clap: to this post. Well said..er typed.

Good luck to the four remaining teams.

Rage Against

Jan 6, 2006
under my umbrella
LOL. How is this reaction from Canadians that shocking? We just love our hockey that much. Yes, it's embarrasing at times from some fans.. borderline crazy and ridiculous.. but that's what alot of us are.. Crazy Canadians who love hockey and our beer.

Perhaps if we sucked *** a lot more, you may get some tempered criticism but i'm glad we have the luxury of being a top 3 team each and every international competition. too often in my olympic competitions (apart from ice hockey), Canadians are just proud of putting in a good effort. it's time to start expecting more out of our athletes like we do with our hockey players..

so with that said.. whine away *****ES!

OHLArenaGuide

it's dot com
Dec 4, 2003
London, ON
www.ohlarenaguide.com
Boo hoo.
We lost.

:clap:

Ahh, the Olympics. The time when, every fourth year, the entire country bands together and acts like Leaf fans.

Matrix

Dec 16, 2005
Montreal
I would just love to see a World Cup of Baseball and see the US have 1 medal in 3 World Cups....Just to see if they will be as gracious in the defeat that most of you are in this thread.

Sure we can't win them all, sure we as Hab Fan can't expect the Habs to win the Stanley Cup every year like we almost had a chance when we all were younger or even were not born yet, trust me we have a lot of practice in waiting.....But having said, we should expect a better effort, and the Russia game had nothing to do with it. Having lost to Russia is not the problem, but finishing 3rd in your group and losing in the Quarters is what hurt the most.

And the ''we didn't click'' excuse could be a good one if we couldn't do anything about it but what if we start to pick players in duo instead of individually and add other complementary players as well. Possible that Thornton would've look better with Bergeron by his side. Maybe Sakic would've love Tanguay as well. Even if they don't play on the same line in their respective teams, at least they know each other better than the guys they are given for 2 weeks like you say.

Maybe we whine because, something had to be done prior to the tournament, most of us weren't too happy with some of the selections and this confirms it so we whine. How Ryan Smith and Kris Draper are automatic choices was and still is beyond me. It's not like everything was fine, we gave it all, scored once in a while and lost graciously. Some of the players that were there didn't produce and should have, you can't click 5 on 5, well it shouldn't be too hard to click on a powerplay and they still didn't too anything in that feel. We have also the right to ask about this team's preparation and ask if the coaching staff was still adequate for that kind of competition....Most of these things didnd't happen, we're sad and angry and have a right to be.

I just remember Canadians laughing at the US for taking players that were old and not fast enough......Those D's were definately chosen for the wrong reasons with some that deserved to be there but didn't perform.

In the end, sure **** happens, and we will survive fairly easily, but we should also take not of what happens and make sure of a better showing next time.

And maybe to be sad and angry show that we care about our sport. The day Team Canada will lose without any whining or fans being angry, then you should be very worried about this sport's health in Canada.......

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I think most canadian fans here have handled the losses with an even head and maturity.

That a few moan and whine is expected. There are children among all groups of fans.

A Good Flying Bird*

pei fan said:
Sure, chemistry,leadership,speed,and defensemen in the transition games are not important ingredients to a great team. :sarcasm:

But we lacked alot more than that.Where the heck was the passion.The attitude of ho hum we lost from some of the players was absolutely maddening :madfire: .

Where the heck was the third highest scorer in the NHL? Where the heck was the best young Hockey player Canada has produced since Mario Lemieux?

Dude, Passion is one of those weird things. It feeds of itself. But it also starves itself.

Do you play hockey? Do you ever wonder why some games, you've just got fire and other days, no matter how much you think you're trying, you're just not even close?

Anyway, think all those chemistry/leadership etc issues are important. And they ought to be debated.

But pulling pros out of the Olympics? Firing Quinn? Kick Nash of the team forever?

A Good Flying Bird*

Matrix said:

Maybe we whine because, something had to be done prior to the tournament, most of us weren't too happy with some of the selections and this confirms it so we whine. How Ryan Smith and Kris Draper are automatic choices was and still is beyond me.

And you show how meaningless the average whiner can be ...

Excuse me. Kris Draper isn't the reason we didn't score goals. People all want to question a defensive center on a team that scored no goals in 11 of its last 12 periods. Refreshing.
Don't blame Ryan Smith for the losses either. The guy was one of the few who played with the passion fans say we didn't have.

Matrix

Dec 16, 2005
Montreal
And you show how meaningless the average whiner can be ...

Excuse me. Kris Draper isn't the reason we didn't score goals. People all want to question a defensive center on a team that scored no goals in 11 of its last 12 periods. Refreshing.
Don't blame Ryan Smith for the losses either. The guy was one of the few who played with the passion fans say we didn't have.

And you show how clueless you are when you take 2 phrases of my response and addresses it as whining when I'm just stated that those two amongst other players are not the best choices but mostly saying that my problem with those guys is not their chosing but mostly what it looked to me like automatic choices 'cause their tremendous international experience, whatever that means, even though they do or don't have the best season this year.

As far as the passion goes, well it would be good to transform that passion into goals sometimes, take that passion and drive the net once in a while maybe it could be transformed in goals.

But in no way, did I mentioned that those two were the only reason we lost, and I didn't even mentioned that the inability to score of those two was a problem. I just write their names as an exemple of players I would'nt have chosen. You have the right to your opinion, I have mine.

In a short tournamenent like this, you must take the players that are hot, and the players that have the best ability to blend in rapidly and have the best chemistry possible.

You're whining that people are whining, doesn't make you better.

Kenadyan

Jul 23, 2003
Asheboro, NC
Visit site
Nagano was real hard.
But Salt Lake is enough to live off of for a few years.

True enough. The Gold Medal in Salt Lake makes this loss easier to stomach. Not that this was an easy loss to stomach, but meh, it happens.

As Canadians, we need to move on. The NHL is about to start back up and in four years, hopefully we'll get a better showing in Vancouver.

mr gib

Sep 19, 2004
vancouver
www.bigtopkarma.com
well i hope all us canadian fans good or bad just watched the semi final between swe and czech -
if this is the future of hockey or the olympic experience i'll take old slow rich millionaire canadians anyday - the worst game so far -

the curling is way better - maybe russia or finland might deliver - i'm hoping

Last edited:

RTWAP*

Flash Walken said:
did anyone REALLY care?
Not me. Didn't watch a single game. Getting a little twitchy though, need real hockey fix. :help:

Flash Walken said:
I'm waiting for the real season to start up again.
That's the spirit! :handclap:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->