I'm embarassed by Canadian hockey fans

• Thread starter A Good Flying Bird*
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

A Good Flying Bird*

Boo hoo.
We lost.

We put a great team in, but we lacked chemistry, leadership, speed, and defensemen in the transition game.

It's a two week tournament. And you're playing for your life within 7 or 8 days of your first scrimmage.

It ain't always gonna work. It just ain't.
Those guys were playing hard. They just didn't click.

It's gonna happen like that. It takes more than big names on a jersey to win gold.

Canadian fans need to settle down and stop acting like such spoiled babies.
How many Canadian hockey fans wanted to go back to amatuers after 2002?
Surely none of guys I partied with?

I'm as disappointed as the next guy. But we'll be in the hunt in 2010.
Cheer up. And stop acting like such babies in front of the world.

BCCHL inactive

TinCanCommunications said:
Boo hoo.
We lost.

We put a great team in, but we lacked chemistry, leadership, speed, and defensemen in the transition game.

It's a two week tournament. And you're playing for your life within 7 or 8 days of your first scrimmage.

It's gonna happen like that. It takes more than big names on a jersey to win gold.

:clap:

Injektilo

Feb 3, 2005
Taiwan
clap clap indeed.

**** happens, and this time it happened to us. the odds were in our favour, but it was by no means a guarentee.

joe_shannon_1983*

Flash Walken said:
did anyone REALLY care?

I cared. And still care.

I have felt completely heartbroken since it happened, simply sick to my stomach.

The NHL Playoffs will help get over it a little bit, but I will still be upset that Canada lost at the Olympics.

Injektilo

Feb 3, 2005
Taiwan
I did really care, until a family tragedy put it in perspective pretty damn quickly.

I forgot about the loss to russia about fifteen minutes after it ended.

Flash Walken

May 10, 2005
Vancouver
ferns8916 said:
I cared. And still care.

I have felt completely heartbroken since it happened, simply sick to my stomach.

The NHL Playoffs will help get over it a little bit, but I will still be upset that Canada lost at the Olympics.
you must've been inconsolable after nagano, if your reaction is serious, I'm surprised you're even alive.

Hedberg

MLD Glue Guy
Jan 9, 2005
BC, Canada
Boo hoo.
We lost.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

joe_shannon_1983*

Flash Walken said:
you must've been inconsolable after nagano, if your reaction is serious, I'm surprised you're even alive.

Nagano was very tough to deal with. Very tough. Watching Canada die in the shoot-out was heartbreaking.

Not as tough as the 1996 World Cup though. I cried and puked the night that Canada lost to the U.S.A. at the 1996 World Cup.

I remember feeling really good one moment, with Canada up 2-1 with 10 minutes left to play in the 3rd period. Then I remember having my guts slowly ripped out over the next 10 minutes or so, as the U.S.A. scored 4 straight goals.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Boo hoo.
We lost.

Most of the fun of sports is getting emotionally involved with your own side. *****ing and whining after your team screws up badly is also perversely fun in its own way. I can whine all I want and so can all the other Canadians who feel like it.

Bixby Snyder

IBTFAD
May 11, 2005
Albuquerque
www.comc.com
Only losers accept defeat. This was a team made up of some of the best players in the world there is no excuse for them finishing 7th. They played like garbage and deserve to get ripped for it, same goes for the coaching staff and the people who put the team together including Mr. Gretzky.

A Good Flying Bird*

ferns8916 said:
Nagano was very tough to deal with. Very tough. Watching Canada die in the shoot-out was heartbreaking.

Not as tough as the 1996 World Cup though. I cried and puked the night that Canada lost to the U.S.A. at the 1996 World Cup.

I remember feeling really good one moment, with Canada up 2-1 with 10 minutes left to play in the 3rd period. Then I remember having my guts slowly ripped out over the next 10 minutes or so, as the U.S.A. scored 4 straight goals.

Nagano was real hard.
But Salt Lake is enough to live off of for a few years.

A Good Flying Bird*

Stephen said:
Most of the fun of sports is getting emotionally involved with your own side. *****ing and whining after your team screws up badly is also perversely fun in its own way. I can whine all I want and so can all the other Canadians who feel like it.

Whining is your perogative.

I'd prefer an intelligent sporty discussion. What went wrong is fine.

Crying about everything and anything, wanting to go back to Amatuer hockey after we all partied after Salt Lake ... that just doesn't fly.

Free country.
People can be a foolish as they choose.

HeHateMeFrisbee

Feb 27, 2002
Savannah, GA
Kinbote said:
Only losers accept defeat. This was a team made up of some of the best players in the world there is no excuse for them finishing 7th. They played like garbage and deserve to get ripped for it, same goes for the coaching staff and the people who put the team together including Mr. Gretzky.
Have you ever heard of being gracious in defeat? It happens, only insane people dont accept defeat. In sports you are bound to lose once in a while, its the people that accept this fact that stay sane and have longer, more productive careers.

shealy04

Oct 20, 2005
Nova Scotia
I respect your sentiment, but I wouldn't go as far to say we should be embarassed by our reaction. It makes me proud that our nation cares so much about our national hockey teams and their performance. It would have been one thing if we lost some heartbreakers (the Russia game was somewhat close, at least we didn't get down in the first 5 minutes) but we were shut out three times, and couldn't even put together ONE complete game... so all I'm trying to say is that it's understandable for such a passionate hockey nation to be so displeased with such a dismal result.

BCCHL inactive

Injektilo said:
I did really care, until a family tragedy put it in perspective pretty damn quickly.

I forgot about the loss to russia about fifteen minutes after it ended.

Sorry to hear about whatever happened.

I was much more upset that I wasn't able to watch the games with my late grandfather than I was about Canada losing. It would have been fun in a weird way to swear at the TV with him...much like we did in 1998.

There's really nothing more to do than say "s*** happens". Every time Canada loses, there's gotta be a million reasons why. Why can't it be that we just lost, and leave it as simple as it really is? The team just didn't play well enough to win. It's the nature of sport, not a national tragedy.

Dogbert*

Kinbote said:
Yeah, I guess denile is easier than looking at the real problems with Canadian hockey....maybe we'll do something after the same thing happens in Vancouver in 2010.

What problems? We had plenty of players who are good enough to win gold in the Olympics. We just didn't send a lot of them to Turin.

A Good Flying Bird*

Kinbote said:
Yeah, I guess denial is easier than looking at the real problems with Canadian hockey....maybe we'll do something after the same thing happens in Vancouver in 2010.

Fix the problems.
Big difference than WHINING and being angry.

shealy04

Oct 20, 2005
Nova Scotia
Kinbote said:
Yeah, I guess denial is easier than looking at the real problems with Canadian hockey....maybe we'll do something after the same thing happens in Vancouver in 2010.

What are these 'real problems' that we have anyway?

A Good Flying Bird*

shealy04 said:
I respect your sentiment, but I wouldn't go as far to say we should be embarassed by our reaction. It makes me proud that our nation cares so much about our national hockey teams and their performance. It would have been one thing if we lost some heartbreakers (the Russia game was somewhat close, at least we didn't get down in the first 5 minutes) but we were shut out three times, and couldn't even put together ONE complete game... so all I'm trying to say is that it's understandable for such a passionate hockey nation to be so displeased with such a dismal result.

As they should.
I'm very disappointed.

But there's vitriol spewing everywhere.

We could not match the Russian's cohesiveness/speed/energy.

It's completely fair the question why.

But too many comments have gone far beyond that, in my opinion.

Canada is still the home of hockey. But give credit to other nations.

May 2, 2005
Niagara Falls
I really didn't care in the first place, never have. I just can't get involved in it, I'll watch it, but I won't waste one second of my day being sad/disapointed/mad about it. I did laugh though, a lot.

shealy04

Oct 20, 2005
Nova Scotia
Canada is still the home of hockey. But give credit to other nations.

Couldn't agree with you more on that.

However, you can still be extremely angry/sad/upset about Canada losing while still respecting the other nations and their great teams... but I'm sure you are speaking on the people who have taken it too far with their complaints, making it sound as if Finland, Sweden and other nations have no reason for being where they are in this tourney... because, you're right, that is just ludicrous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad