Value of: Ilya Sorokin

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
KHL contract until 2020... Come on Isles fans, talk to me!
We recently had a Sorokin discussion with Avs fans.
An unproven top goalie prospect, signed in the KHL for 2 more seasons.His value is higher to the NYI, then any other nhl team.

1. Even after his extension was signed, the isles showed no interest in trading him.
2. The 22/23 yr old has spoken in an interview about wanting to come over to the nhl at 25.
3. According to Pronman because there is no transfer agreement, the isles will not lose his rights.

Zenon Konopka Jr

May 19, 2017
NYC
Given our lack of clarity on the goalie situation in the immediate future, I'd rather hold him then trade him since he won't return a big haul anyway. He has a high ceiling and may never come over anyway but I'd rather hold that ceiling than sell for a pick or b prospect.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
The Islanders have never had a serious star goaltender. Billy Smith was great, but he was known as a playoff beast. DiPietro had a couple good seasons, one barely allstar season then got crippled. They have two top prospect G wild cards right now in Sorokin and Soderstrom, and they really either need one of them to pan out or a top tier goaltender under 30 to fall in their lap somehow.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Better to just hang onto him. His value isn’t great I’d imagine because of the KHL contract and the unknown. His potential to be a franchise goalie is something the islanders desperately need. He may or may not ever become that good in the NHL but the isles aren’t in a position to trade him away.

Reactions: Zenon Konopka Jr

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
KHL contract until 2020... Come on Isles fans, talk to me!

And I'm guessing you want to use the "KHL contract until 2020" as a way to get Sorokin for cheap? Talk all about the risk that comes with the player as a way to get him at a discount?

Players at his level don't stay in Russia for their entire careers and make less than an average Thomas Greiss contract. They see how much money guys like Bobrovsky are making, then the ridiculous amount Carey Price just resigned for, and know all the perks that come with NHL success.

An elite USA/Canada born soccer player will not spend his career playing for the LA Galaxy: when a top-tier team in England, Spain, or Germany shows definite interest, it's off to play Messi & Ronaldo instead of Sporting Kansas City. Sorokin is simply too good of a prospect to not play in the best league in the world.

Reactions: IODCPiper

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
And I'm guessing you want to use the "KHL contract until 2020" as a way to get Sorokin for cheap? Talk all about the risk that comes with the player as a way to get him at a discount?

Players at his level don't stay in Russia for their entire careers and make less than an average Thomas Greiss contract. They see how much money guys like Bobrovsky are making, then the ridiculous amount Carey Price just resigned for, and know all the perks that come with NHL success.

An elite USA/Canada born soccer player will not spend his career playing for the LA Galaxy: when a top-tier team in England, Spain, or Germany shows definite interest, it's off to play Messi & Ronaldo instead of Sporting Kansas City. Sorokin is simply too good of a prospect to not play in the best league in the world.

So what you’re saying is... a 3rd round pick in 2019 and conditional 4th in 2020?

And your “thanks” on such a stellar offer will be assumed. :sarcasm:

Reactions: Svengoolie

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad