Prospect Info: Ilya Nikolayev, Centre, 88th Overall

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
A fast, well-rounded center(?!?!?!) who can play in any situation. Count me in
full

Reactions: Mitts

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
ISS loved this guy, ranked #28 by them......…...great pick, guess we kind of did have a 2nd round pick

Qubax

Oct 25, 2002
Visit site
Thedraftanalyst.com (great report for $5) had Nikolaev 23rd Overall and Pelletier 24th Overall.

I think the Flames got two late First round picks that would be worthy of taking both in the mid to late 20's great value for 26 & 88

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Thedraftanalyst.com (great report for $5) had Nikolaev 23rd Overall and Pelletier 24th Overall.

I think the Flames got two late First round picks that would be worthy of taking both in the mid to late 20's great value for 26 & 88

Or maybe they spent the $5?

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
My only concern about drafting Russians these days is that they may choose to play in the KHL if they think they're not advancing through the ranks fast enough. That's a risk I'm sure. On the other hand Calgary has had great success in the past with Russian players and how well they were treated here.

Kipper933

Remember the Kipper
Jul 10, 2002
Toronto, ON
Visit site
My only concern about drafting Russians these days is that they may choose to play in the KHL if they think they're not advancing through the ranks fast enough. That's a risk I'm sure. On the other hand Calgary has had great success in the past with Russian players and how well they were treated here.

On the flip side, you can also hang on to the rights of Russians forever, so if they want to play in the KHL for a bit it's not the end of the world.

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
I could see him being a high chance of bust, but a huge asset if he booms. Which is worth a shot with the 88th.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Anyone know what the amount of ‘Russian Factor’ is with him? Wonder if he would come here to play AHL at some point or if it’s a NHL or never type deal with him.

He was at the draft doing interviews; so his Russian Factor is not F level.
Dunno, the way he seems and plays; I think he's probably like a B level.

Not that A level where the kid wants to chew off his arm to play in NA, not that Rafikov who slept through the draft F.

Considering he models his game after Bergeron and not Datsyuk; I'd assume there's an okay chance we could get him in the AHL for a season.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I like it. Lately I've been wondering if our scouts view flight risk of NCAA and KHL as the same (equal). So if it's unlikely, it's time to build a KHL pool of prospects.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->