Rumor: Ilya Kovalchuk will be signing a 2-3 year deal with NYR

Status
Not open for further replies.

IamNotADancer

Feb 16, 2017
Can't wait for his first game against the Devils. Hope he scores the GWG.

That and a GWG against Pittsburgh on a PP caused by a dumb penalty from Crosby. The finger point of death would return.

And yeah, if true, Rangers also need to sign another Russian whose last name starts with a G and just create a K-G-B line

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
I never believed this was a true rebuild and have been saying so for months. They want to get generally younger and restock the cupboard but remain competitive.

It`s a good start to change the coaching staff since we almost have a completely new team compare to the 2014 cup final roster 4 years ago. But it might quick end up in a complete rebuild if things do not go as planed related to season and team expectations. And it all depends on our signings - and who we move in this summer window. :)

MadHookUp

Jul 24, 2005
I had mixed feelings when I first heard this. One thing that has been stated many times is that the Rangers are filled with Type B personalities, and absolutely zero Type A. From everything I have read, Kovy is a type A, well respected, and well liked by teammates. I personally wanted for the Rangers to go into this season with a Type A vet. The downside is that he can no longer play in the NHL and he will help us get higher picks for the rebuild!

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
I had mixed feelings when I first heard this. One thing that has been stated many times is that the Rangers are filled with Type B personalities, and absolutely zero Type A. From everything I have read, Kovy is a type A, well respected, and well liked by teammates. I personally wanted for the Rangers to go into this season with a Type A vet. The downside is that he can no longer play in the NHL and he will help us get higher picks for the rebuild!
I don’t think he will be as useless as you think on the ice. I can see him potting in 20 goals.

Reactions: haveandare

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
3x6 would be too much for someone his age who hasn’t played here in years.

Getting him in general not a bad idea if it helps move 2 of Zucc, Vlad and Spooner - get a free player and move other players for assets as a result. Still a rebuilding move imo, it’s about getting more and more young players

Nico the Draft Riser

Devils, Rams, Hawks, Twins fan
Nov 18, 2017
6 mil a year for 3 years is crazy. Guy is 35 hasn’t played in the nhl in years. This would be nuts.
Your lack of knowledge on the matter shows

Kovalchuk is a 50-60+ point player still so i dont see why you are complaining. He has been killing it in the KHL

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
I hope the Rangers run all the possible outcomes, plus 35 contract, signing bonuses, clauses, retirement possibility, what else they could use that cap on, they should even run the outcomes they don't like and make a good decision.

alkurtz

Nov 26, 2006
Charlotte, NC
One thing about a rebuild that we should never forget: among the worst things that can happen to a young, rebuilding team, is to constantly lose. "Growing up" in a losing environment results in a culture of losing: a culture that becomes self-perpetuating and can last your season after season. There a plenty of examples of that around the league.

So, teams that are rebuilding have to walk a fine line. Yes, a rebuilt might mean "being bad" so as to accumulate more draft picks, but is also means having veteran leadership around to set an example, emotionally even out the highs and lows of a season, and mentor younger players.

A rebuilding team needs veteran stability even though those veteran players might make the team overachieve to a degree.

I have no problem with signing Kovy, though I do have some doubts whether he fits the standard of veteran leadership I have set out above. I would much rather have made an attempt to resign Nash.

Also, from the fan point of view: next year is going to be rough. It is easy for us to sit here at the end of the season and say that it is OK if we lose and lose and lose next year. We want those elite draft prospects. But the reality is that it is going to be a very long season, full of disappointments, frustration, and disheartening loses. It has to get worse before it gets better. Yew, we can deal, intellectually, with knowing we are rebuilding. But emotionally, it is another thing.

Yes, we will be bad. But I still want the team to be somewhat interesting, to have an interesting dynamic. From the POV of ownership, they still need to fill seats and create buzz. Even the Knicks, with all that BB means to the city, have become somewhat irrelevant in the NYC sports scene with endless seasons of losing.

Kovy, may or may not be that veteran leadership and that stabilizing force. He may or may not be influential in bringing Shestyorkin and Rykov over.

But he will make the team more interesting to watch and make the long nights of next winter better. So. on balance, I'm OK with it.

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
I never believed this was a true rebuild and have been saying so for months. They want to get generally younger and restock the cupboard but remain competitive.

Could not agree more. I don't think he ever wanted to go through the misery that Pittsburgh, Washington and Toronto had to go through, in order to become competitive. And let's not forget that a total tear-down does not guarantee success. Just ask Arizona, Florida, Buffalo and Edmonton.

OrlandK

Oct 18, 2017
Westchester NY
Seems like a no brainer, even in a rebuild, if it's 2 years. We have a shortage of quality wingers and the cap space to do this deal. Would be a good mentor for the younger Russian players starting to fill up our roster. A big improvement over AV's "tough love" to every Russian player he coached. Helps with the Yankee like rebuild where we stay respectable (or better) while developing the young talent. Now we need to add a top 4 dman and perhaps we can contend for the playoffs next year while still going with mostly young and upcoming (improving) skaters.

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
One thing about a rebuild that we should never forget: among the worst things that can happen to a young, rebuilding team, is to constantly lose. "Growing up" in a losing environment results in a culture of losing: a culture that becomes self-perpetuating and can last your season after season. There a plenty of examples of that around the league.

So, teams that are rebuilding have to walk a fine line. Yes, a rebuilt might mean "being bad" so as to accumulate more draft picks, but is also means having veteran leadership around to set an example, emotionally even out the highs and lows of a season, and mentor younger players.

A rebuilding team needs veteran stability even though those veteran players might make the team overachieve to a degree.

I have no problem with signing Kovy, though I do have some doubts whether he fits the standard of veteran leadership I have set out above. I would much rather have made an attempt to resign Nash.

Also, from the fan point of view: next year is going to be rough. It is easy for us to sit here at the end of the season and say that it is OK if we lose and lose and lose next year. We want those elite draft prospects. But the reality is that it is going to be a very long season, full of disappointments, frustration, and disheartening loses. It has to get worse before it gets better. Yew, we can deal, intellectually, with knowing we are rebuilding. But emotionally, it is another thing.

Yes, we will be bad. But I still want the team to be somewhat interesting, to have an interesting dynamic. From the POV of ownership, they still need to fill seats and create buzz. Even the Knicks, with all that BB means to the city, have become somewhat irrelevant in the NYC sports scene with endless seasons of losing.

Kovy, may or may not be that veteran leadership and that stabilizing force. He may or may not be influential in bringing Shestyorkin and Rykov over.

But he will make the team more interesting to watch and make the long nights of next winter better. So. on balance, I'm OK with it.

I would not rule out re-signing Nash at, say, $3-4 million for a few years. I'm not saying he'd be willing to do it; I'm not saying the organization would consider it. That's just as high as I would comfortably go, given his skill set, his production and--most importantly--his age.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad