Rumor: Ilya Kovalchuk will be signing a 2-3 year deal with NYR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 27, 2002
NYC
Kovalchuk wants to play in the NHL and loves NYC. Rangers have cap space and still have to ice a team not to mention they’ll be trading off some possible wingers in Spooner, Namestnikov, Zucc, etc. Even though they’re rebuilding, they still have to try and ice a competitive team so why not sign a guy like him who can still clearly play for nothing but cap space?

I'd rather have Spooner, Zucc, et al than an over the hill Kovalchuk. If he loves NYC so much he should be willing to sign a 1-year deal.

Makes no sense for the Rangers.

Last edited:

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
I'd rather have Spooner, Zucchini, et al than an over the hill Kovalchuk. If he loves NYC so much he should be willing to sign a 1-year deal.

During a rebuild, I'd rather have Kovalchuck plus the assets that trading the likes of Zuccarello will bring back.

Makes perfect sense for the Rangers.

FireGerardGallant

The Artist Formerly known as FireDavidQuinn
Mar 19, 2016
I'd rather have Spooner, Zucchini, et al than an over the hill Kovalchuk. If he loves NYC so much he should be willing to sign a 1-year deal.

Could aid in the development of the young kids. In particular I see Chytil and Buch benefiting the most from this.
It'll help Chytil’s development because it would be nice for him to have a sniper to pass the puck to.
As for Buch this could help him off the ice. Kovy gives him a mentor to look up too and another Russian in the lockeroom. Rangers made a bit of a mistake in 2016 in not bringing in any other russians to help make the transition easier for Buch. Imagine Buch getting in an offseasons work with kovy. This and improved ice time next season can really make buch have a breakout season.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
Awesome.

If they have the free cap space I don’t see the issue. Two to three years is the sweet spot. Shatty is signed for as long, the team will likely still be in transition, and it helps them stay competitive during the rebuild, that’s fine too. As much as a full on tank sounds good for high draft picks, that’s going to be real tough to watch.

I don’t see the problem here. I’d rather have young talented kids watch an elite goal scorer and learn from him even if he is on the backside of his career than have cap space for nothing at all.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Awesome.

If they have the free cap space I don’t see the issue. Two to three years is the sweet spot. Shatty is signed for as long, the team will likely still be in transition, and it helps them stay competitive during the rebuild, that’s fine too. As much as a full on tank sounds good for high draft picks, that’s going to be real tough to watch.

I don’t see the problem here. I’d rather have young talented kids watch an elite goal scorer and learn from him even if he is on the backside of his career than have cap space for nothing at all.
A full tank doesnt guarantee anything.

They already have pieces on the current roster to build off and be competitive.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Totally good with the signing. It fills a bunch of needs for the team.

Scorer, leader, RH shot, size, speed, skill.

Would prefer a 2 year deal over three but at $6 he's a good value.

There were two years in the KHL where he was a bit out of it, but he's been excellent the last two years.

Guy can skate.

Chytilmania

Dec 31, 2017
I hope he rubs off on Buch and teaches him to be a more aggressive shooter.
Kovalchuk-Zib-Kreider could be a dangerous line. And that gives us flexibility to trade Spooner/Names/Zucc and could push Vesey or Fast down to the 4th line.

EpicDing

which is why I included the question mark earlier
Oct 2, 2011
Hartford
If true and 3 years, another contract that ends when Hank's does. Team clearly sees that year as a turning point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad