Rumor: Ilya Kovalchuk signing with NYR

DVision44

Nov 30, 2017
“Kovy is one of the best teammates I’ve ever had. And I’m not talking about just his play on the ice. He was one of our most engaged guys in the room. He was great that way. He really cares about winning, and he cares about guys on his team." -Martin Brodeur

You can go by that (keeping in mind players rarely bad mouth other players in the media) or you can go by the fact he was benched as a Devil for an “undisclosed” reason and benched and stripped of his captaincy by SKA...

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
if he's chasing the Cup by signing with the Rangers he's gonna have a bad time.

The Rangers at *at least* 15 years from being a contender again.

Reactions: HockeysFinest

gorangers0525

Dec 15, 2014
if he's chasing the Cup by signing with the Rangers he's gonna have a bad time.

The Rangers at *at least* 15 years from being a contender again.

This is sarcasm, right? There is not a team in the league that is 15 years from being a contender.

Reactions: Rangers_23

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Chronic back problems are knee surgeries are signs of a "healthy" body? I wish Kovi all the best and was just wondering what people thought of my idea.
If those injuries persisted in the KHL I would be worried, but none of it to report lately.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Relax. He can live and raise his kids wherever. His choice of where to play though may show his commitment level.
I don't know how old you are, but as someone who is older than Kovalchuk I can tell you there is even a huge difference in how you see it when you are young and having your first kid and as a 35+ father of 4.

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
The NYR put Berezgalov on unconditional waivers yesterday for the purpose of terminating his contract.

CatOTails

Jul 18, 2011
Latvia
Kovalchuk has stated that he wants to win the Stanley to achieve the vaunted "Triple Gold". In that light, signing for the Rangers perplexes me.
I guess by "Triple Gold" he meant his 3rd overpriced contract. Either way, good for him and NYR if it's true.

go4hockey

Oct 14, 2007
Alta Loma CA
"mini rebuild?" they traded off half their core for picks and prospect, Lundqvist is aging. Rangers is in full-blown rebuild mode. Credits to them for ripping off the bandaid and doing things properly, but it can hardly be called a mini rebuild.

Well I thaught they was doing it right but then rumor about signing a mid 30’s winger seems like they are going back to their old ways.

tomobson

Sep 16, 2008
Well I thaught they was doing it right but then rumor about signing a mid 30’s winger seems like they are going back to their old ways.

I believe Kovy and Hank are the only players that will be in that age bracket, if Kovy signs here. So not much like the old days at all. The Rangers have no winger depth and kovy will come off the books by the time the rangers are in full compete mode if they're not there yet.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
I think it was McKenzie who recently said Rangers will push for Tavares and try and trade for Karlsson
Total Ranger thing to do but hypothetically
Kovy-Tavares-Chytil
Kreider-Zib-Buch
Andersson-Hayes-Zucc
Spooner-Namestnikov-Fast
Skjei-Karlsson
Deangelo-Shatty ?
Staal-Pionk
Hank
Georgiev
Obviously and realistically this will not happen but it’s nice to dream
Also those defense pairs are very off they should change based on chemistry. Deangelo-Shatty wouldn’t work because they’re the same mold

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
Hopeful that NYR think they can slap a band-aid on their roster and be ok. That mind-set will set their rebuild back another 2-3 years. One less team to worry about.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
Keep hoping

I don't know why you sound so confident. This is the exact type of contract the Rangers should be avoiding. They're going to be stuck in NHL purgatory for another couple of years. Either try to contend or tear it down and rebuild, anywhere in the middle just sets the organization back years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad