Rumor: Ilya Kovalchuk signing with NYR

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
He probably still has his house in NJ and doesnt want to go back to the Devils since he would probably get a lot of animosity

Well surely he would get much less animosity by going to the Rangers ahaha.

Honestly... NJD fans accepted Scott Gomez back and cheered for him. All Kovy has to do is show up everyone will love him again after he scores his first goal.

Reactions: Dialamo

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
I`m all for selling off players like Zucc for picks but Kovy is 35 and on the tail end of his career plus he will take a spot away from one of our kids . So what if we lose more games next season ...better draft picks to follow.

How NOT to rebuild:

1) Gift young players spots on top lines without having to beat anyone out
2) Surround them with either dregs or equally young inexperienced players
3) Believe that picking 7th overall somehow will be magically better than picking 11th overall in the long run
4) Creating a culture where it's ok to lose because, you know, "better draft picks to follow"

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
He probably still has his house in NJ and doesnt want to go back to the Devils since he would probably get a lot of animosity

Hes making a decision based off of where he has a house? I get that for maybe a scrub but someone like him?

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
How NOT to rebuild:

3) Believe that picking 7th overall somehow will be magically better than picking 11th overall in the long run
4) Creating a culture where it's ok to lose because, you know, "better draft picks to follow"

So pretty much what the Oilers did in the early Hall years and now are still a lottery team 10 years later?

And then we wonder "How are the Oilers this bad still with McDavid??"

Buncha freaking hypocrites and they don't even know it.

Plus the Rangers are so much better than the Oilers when they begin their initial rebuild and then the McDavid tank year. Same with the Sabres, Devils and Leafs when they began to rebuild too.

If the Rangers decide to keep Spooner, Zucc, Hayes, etc. I bet the Rangers are in the playoff mix next season. It all really fell apart when kreider and Shatterkink got hurt. And the team quit on AV. Rightfully so.

Last edited:
Reactions: LAINEC and Ori

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Hes making a decision based off of where he has a house? I get that for maybe a scrub but someone like him?
How dare someone decide where to raise their kids on things like "places they like living in". They should base it on "likes" of HF posters.

Reactions: NewYorkNick

Made Dan

Jul 15, 2007
The Bronx, NY
2012 was 6 years ago. He's 35 now. He's frustrating and enigmatic and cannot be relied upon in any way. Shero tried to move him last offseason but there just wasn't any interest. People around the league know what kind of guy he is.

“Kovy is one of the best teammates I’ve ever had. And I’m not talking about just his play on the ice. He was one of our most engaged guys in the room. He was great that way. He really cares about winning, and he cares about guys on his team." -Martin Brodeur

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
How dare someone decide where to raise their kids on things like "places they like living in". They should base it on "likes" of HF posters.

Relax. He can live and raise his kids wherever. His choice of where to play though may show his commitment level.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Relax. He can live and raise his kids wherever. His choice of where to play though may show his commitment level.
I'm perfectly relaxed.

Just wondering how consistent you are though with these standards.

Did you question Zdeno Chara's commitment level when he signed with a worse Bruins team than the current Rangers team? If not, why not?

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
Kovalchuk has stated that he wants to win the Stanley to achieve the vaunted "Triple Gold". In that light, signing for the Rangers perplexes me.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
How NOT to rebuild:

I am going to suggest one change to your formula which is counter to a lot of current thinking but I think you are correct. The change is that the kids have to be surrounded by competent vets (like Kovy). Blocking a kid to play a borderline grizzled and old and slow vet isn’t that helpful in my view. Your fourth point is turning out to be really true in EDM and BUFF. Those teams really need some new direction to change their culture. EDM seemed to be on the right track last year and I’m not sure what caused such significant regression. You’d think it would be obvious but it isn’t.

As for Kovy, if he takes less where would he sign? I could argue any number of teams are legit cup contenders and I don’t see any that are just a Kovy away from vaulting over the others. Maybe NASH but what about WPG? At the end of the day these are his last paydays and he should maximize them if that is his choice. NJ players always said he was a good teammate and maybe he can mentor young Russians for NYR. If he does that and plays reasonably well he is probably worth a contract similar to Marleau.

Healthy DiPietro

Jan 4, 2014
What if they are signing him only to flip him at the deadline next year to a contender for picks and prospects to continue the rebuilding process?

He'll probably demand a no movement clause though, if he's going to pick a non-playoff team like the Rangers to begin with. If he wanted both money and a decent chance at winning he could go to Vegas, but I suspect living in New York is the allure,

sammystl5

May 19, 2015
CT
I don't get why everyone assumes he is going to step in and net 30? His body has been on the decay for awhile, even back to his Devils days. He is coming from a league with less contact and more ice to a smaller more physical league. That should apply some wear on the body. He has lost a step, he is an injury away from being done or at least close to it. He was a great player for the Devils and his leaving did more good than bad so this isn't sour grapes. Just curious why people think they are getting old Kovalchuck

tradenashnow

Feb 17, 2018
His body is on the decay? :laugh: You don't want him to score 30 because you are blinded by hatred for the Rangers.

sammystl5

May 19, 2015
CT
His body is on the decay? :laugh: You don't want him to score 30 because you are blinded by hatred for the Rangers.
Chronic back problems are knee surgeries are signs of a "healthy" body? I wish Kovi all the best and was just wondering what people thought of my idea.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
I don't get why everyone assumes he is going to step in and net 30? His body has been on the decay for awhile, even back to his Devils days. He is coming from a league with less contact and more ice to a smaller more physical league. That should apply some wear on the body. He has lost a step, he is an injury away from being done or at least close to it. He was a great player for the Devils and his leaving did more good than bad so this isn't sour grapes. Just curious why people think they are getting old Kovalchuck

I don't think anyone thinks that they're getting the old Kovalchuk.

If he can score 20-30 and 50-60 points, I'd be happy. However, he's one of the most skilled players of the last 20 years and if his minutes are sheltered, who knows what he can do.

I don't think anyone is saying they're getting the Thrashers version of Kovalchuk. Even 2012 Kovalchuk is tough to expect.

I don't think that the numbers I listed above are pushes or stretches by any means though.

Reactions: haveandare

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Rangers just never learn. What happened to the rebuild? This is why they haven't won **** in 25 years.

With the large amount of Russian kids we have (Buchnevich, Rykov, Bereglazov, Sheshty), its probably NOT the worst idea do have Kovalchuk around. Not to mention, Buchnevich has a great attitude. If he can just pick up some of Kovy's good habits, the kid will be utterly dominant.

The Rangers aren't signing Kovalchuk with the intentions of winning the cup next year. They are signing him because he wants to play here, we have the cap space and they can always trade him to a contender for assets in 2019 or 2020 depending on the length of the contract. It is a really smart move.

*Edit - Apparently we terminated the contract with Bereglazov today. Either way. Point still stands.

Last edited:

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
With the large amount of Russian kids we have (Buchnevich, Rykov, Bereglazov, Sheshty), its probably NOT the worst idea do have Kovalchuk around. Not to mention, Buchnevich has a great attitude. If he can just pick up some of Kovy's good habits, the kid will be utterly dominant.

The Rangers aren't signing Kovalchuk with the intentions of winning the cup next year. They are signing him because he wants to play here, we have the cap space and they can always trade him to a contender for assets in 2019 or 2020 depending on the length of the contract. It is a really smart move.

Utterly dominant might be a stretch. A very good player? Yes.

The only qualm I have about this signing is that they're going to finish better when they need to finish worse and gather more picks. I understand that you can't run out a team that loses every night, but at some point, if you're going to try to find that franchise/generational talent, you have to be able to pick high enough to get it.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Utterly dominant might be a stretch. A very good player? Yes.

The only qualm I have about this signing is that they're going to finish better when they need to finish worse and gather more picks. I understand that you can't run out a team that loses every night, but at some point, if you're going to try to find that franchise/generational talent, you have to be able to pick high enough to get it.
They're not going to purposely go out and ice the worst team in the league right or wrong. IMO if they add Kovalchuk, they'll move wingers they have currently so it's a slight downgrade overall but those wingers return more picks/players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->