News Article: Ilya Kovalchuk Reportedly Wants To Join The Rangers

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
I would be all over Kovalchuck! It's about bout time the Rangers finally ice a bonafide elite player. The fans deserve it.

He was a bonafide elite player like 5 years ago. From what I've heard about people that have watched him of late, it seems like his back problems have hindered him in the KHL and he's getting older and slower. You're going to have to give a 34 year old a multi year deal at over $5 million and probably have to move Nash in the process to clear cap room. Considering all of that, I'm taking a pass.

Rangers2319

Jul 15, 2008
CT
still dont care if people dont want kovy, i still think you take him who cares what his age is, his pp capabilities alone is worth it considering what we have done to try and make that work. 2-3 year deal you take kovy, hell id still take jagr on this team over a 3rd of the players we start

some of you guys need to get over it with regards to age, everyone is just hung up on the fact that every veteran we sign will suck, past history is not indicative of futures results. Also all of those other veterans we signed never had the skillet of kovy.

and if you get rid of nash, ilya is a no brainer hands down

either way whether its this year or next i think they'll sign him, nash is gone next year too. every team needs some sort of veteran who has experience winning something, can't have a team full of 20 year olds and expect to win a cup

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
It's astonishing how people really think a guy not far from 35 with back problems will be the answer to our problems. And giving assets to NJ in the process.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I have seen him play in the KHL and he is still a damn good player. He would be our best winger, easily. Yes, he is 35, but his style of play ages well. And he plays for a team that uses a NA-sized rink, just like Bereglazov. Kovalchuk isn't the player he was 10 years ago, but still better than the majority of players in the league.

boxhamster

Jun 30, 2015
Germany
The Rangers don´t need an old and expensiv Winger like Kovalchuck.
They need a 1. Line Center and a RD with good skills on the PP.

When the Rangers want a old Winger then give Jagr a 1 Year Contract. He is cheaper and better as Kovalchuck and makes no trouble.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway

When the Rangers want a old Winger then give Jagr a 1 Year Contract. He is cheaper and better as Kovalchuck and makes no trouble.

Yeah, I always felt that G. Sather was too impatient in how he build Rangers the recent years before he promoted Gorton in the new GM position.
It might be ideal in the first two years of his deal, but Kovalchuck career is soon over like Henrik due to age. I know it`s tempting offer since he is no doubt an elite player earlier in his career,
but we should aim for the future and I think that`s important how Gorton build the future team in the next few years.

I`m surprised that so few have mention Henrik`s contract in speculation topic who had one of his worst Rangers seasons - maybe his worst season and performance since he started here.

Last edited:

boxhamster

Jun 30, 2015
Germany
Yeah, I always felt that G. Sather was too impatient in how he build Rangers the recent years before he promoted Gorton in the new GM position.
It might ideal in the first two years of his deal, but Kovalchuck career is soon over like Henrik due to age. I know it`s tempting offer since he is no doubt an elite player earlier in his career,
but we should aim for the future and I think that`s important how Gorton build the future team in the next few years.

I`m surprised that so few have mention Henrik`s contract in speculation topic who had one of his worst Rangers season - maybe his worst season and performance since he started here.

Sather makes so many bad Trades and Contracts. Gave 1. and 2. Picks away for nothing. I hope Gorton has learn and say no to Kovalchuck.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

We already have a first line center

Siddi

Rangers Masochist
Mar 8, 2013
Global
I`m surprised that so few have mention Henrik`s contract in speculation topic who had one of his worst Rangers seasons - maybe his worst season and performance since he started here.

Yeah because nobody ever discusses Hanks contract around here....

:shakehead

Ori

Nov 7, 2014
Norway

yeah we evaluate their contracts in this league, but it was more about the age topic @Siddi. Will he retire as a Rangers, or will the GM try to move him to get some value back - questions like that to be specific.

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia

I'm thinking if we can unload Staal or Girardi AND Staal, Hank's contract won't be THAT bad and more manageable. The combination of all three are a disaster.

It's astonishing how people really think a guy not far from 35 with back problems will be the answer to our problems. And giving assets to NJ in the process.

As long as it isn't Gorton or Sather who thinks this...

Ori

Nov 7, 2014
Norway
I don`t mind Henrik`s contract, but we need to retool the defense.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
Of course Kovalchuk is tempting. That big name always is, particularly after a painful playoff exit. Narrative sounds awfully familiar though.

I'd prefer they go in the opposite direction, i.e., younger and cheaper.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Same...

For a team with almost zero assets to even contemplate trading one or some for a this guy is insane IMO

Goes against the "get younger" mantra so I don't think management even has him on the radar.

Not to mention you help the Devils, who essentially lose nothing in the deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad