Rumor: Ilya Kovalchuk coming to USA to meet with NHL teams (unknown if he still signing with NYR)

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Provy to Kovy has a nice ring to it, and Hextall signed Russian free agents for 15-16 and 16-17.

Giroux-Couturier-Kovalchuk
Konecny-Patrick-Voracek
Lindblom-Laughton-Simmonds
Raffl-Vecchione-Weal
Weise

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
TB needs a RW in the top 6. I wonder if he would take a discount to play here for a year. He could play with Stamkos or Point. Probably would have to trade Johnson.

Palat Point Kucherov
Miller Stamkos Kovalchuck
Killorn Cirelli Gourde
Erne Paquette Callahan

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Again, whoever offers him the sweetest deal will land him. That's all it comes down to with this guy.
Waiting for the NJ Devils to renounce any player on their roster who signed with them as a free agent. No good, selfish, $$$$ only primadonnas who left their prior teams.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Kovy could help a lot of teams and Columbus is another one.

Panarin-Dubois-Atkinson
Kovy-Wennberg-Bjorkstrand

However he will likely go somewhere there is more fanfare and not have to be below Panarin again on a team

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Benn - Seguin - Radulov
Janmark - Spezza - Kovy
Ellie - Faksa - Nichushkin
Dickinson - Hanzal - Hintz

vs
Marchand- Bergeron- Kovy

Dadonov- Barkov- Kovy.

Like @wintersej said Boston would have trouble with a longterm contract(unless there's a trade pre draft), but could do a 1 year& play him with some of the best players in the league.
Florida has 2 russian speaking 1st liners they could sell the team with to Kovy.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
You really can’t see a difference in a normal free agent and Kovalchuck?

I can see lots of differences between lots of things. What's your point?

But a similarity: Free Agents often/mostly prioritize money over other factors. If you don't like that, then you don't like free agency. But that means you shouldn't like it when you gain a UFA or lose one.

And most importantly.... who is anyone here to tell someone else what they should value when they make a life decision? Players don't live their lives for you, just as you don't live your life for a customer, client, etc. You can dislike the player if you want, that's your choice. But going to Russia was NOT "all about the $" for him. And even if it was.... so what?

Reactions: The Bored Man

SETHROLLINS

Mar 2, 2011
Another thing for posters here to remember is Kovy most likely won't be considered a flippable asset. He'll want to control his destiny with a full NTC. He's not coming here from Russia, signing with a team and not controlling his destiny at the trade deadline.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Can Edmonton even take his cap hit, though? He will probably demand a great deal of money.

Habs can help the Oilers out by absorbing Lucic and Sekera contracts if we can pull off a Patch, Lindgren, Schlemko for the 10th pick type return. Oilers save Aprox $5M in this deal and then add another $5M in cap space for next year. That would give them $10M to work with. Yeah Patch needs an raise the following year but that's what? An extra $2-$3M max?

What is the Oilers cap situation looking like next year after new contracts to Nurse and the other smaller deals in Strome, Slepyshev, etc? At the moment it's 16 players signed with about $15M in space ($80M cap). In the deal I proposed, that gives the Oilers an extra $5M increasing it to $20M with 16 players signed. Kovalchuk and De Haan would be good additions with still plenty of space to sign Nurse and the smaller RFA contracts.

Patch / McDavid / Rattie
Kolvalchuk / Drai / Puljujarvi
Khaira / RNH / Strome

De Haan / Klefbom
Nurse / Larsson

Just an option or an example ... If you want to free up cap space and remove bad contracts

Its a Trap

Yes I’m still here to piss you off
I can see lots of differences between lots of things. What's your point?

But a similarity: Free Agents often/mostly prioritize money over other factors. If you don't like that, then you don't like free agency. But that means you shouldn't like it when you gain a UFA or lose one.

And most importantly.... who is anyone here to tell someone else what they should value when they make a life decision? Players don't live their lives for you, just as you don't live your life for a customer, client, etc. You can dislike the player if you want, that's your choice. But going to Russia was NOT "all about the $" for him. And even if it was.... so what?
Of course it was all about the money for him. You do understand he’s only returning to play here because the Russian economy collapsed the year he went back and the ruble is worthless now, right? He left for a bigger contract that ended up paying him less then if he had stayed and now he’s back to try and regain some of his losses.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Of course it was all about the money for him. You do understand he’s only returning to play here because the Russian economy collapsed the year he went back and the ruble is worthless now, right? He left for a bigger contract that ended up paying him less then if he had stayed and now he’s back to try and regain some of his losses.

1) Just because you say something, doesn't make it true. You don't know his motivations. A player from another country going to play at home and in the Olympics isn't farfetched.

2) OMG He left for a bigger contract!!!!!!! OH NOEZ THE OUTRAGE.

Again... do you hate every player that the Devils signed as a free agent, or do you think they all signed there becaues they love Jersey City in February?

Its a Trap

Yes I’m still here to piss you off
1) Just because you say something, doesn't make it true. You don't know his motivations. A player from another country going to play at home and in the Olympics isn't farfetched.

2) OMG He left for a bigger contract!!!!!!! OH NOEZ THE OUTRAGE.

Again... do you hate every player that the Devils signed as a free agent, or do you think they all signed there becaues they love Jersey City in February?
His motivations were well reported. He was afraid the team couldn’t pay him because Vanderbeek was running out of money. Do you have any idea what you’re talking about or are you just trying to stir shit up for fun on a boring Thursday?

And oh what a big deal? Yea, chief, it’s a pretty big deal when in order to get out of that contract for a bigger one, you fake retire to go play in a different league after demanding a contract so big the team got penalized for giving it to you.

I like how everything you say is TRUTHZZZZ!!!11! But everyone else’s comments on it are “you don’t know what he’s thinking”. Well shut up then because by your own logic you have no basis to say I or anyone else is wrong.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Islanders are looking to sign Tavares so I don't think the Islanders are likely if they move bad contracts and forget about Barzal.
Boston I don't see having room for him, but he'd be a very good fit there.
If he ends up in Dallas, they're likely to be better. Unless they give up on Seguin in the off-season, I don't see them going after him because they don't have room for both Seguin and Kovalchuk unless they get rid of contracts.
Florida would be interesting, as they might have some room for him and they're looking to contend. If Florida gets him they'd likely be an instant playoff team.
I think he ends up in Los Angeles as they're really going to need him to have Doughty stay in LA. They're probably going to have to trade Jeff Carter though.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
His motivations were well reported. He was afraid the team couldn’t pay him because Vanderbeek was running out of money. Do you have any idea what you’re talking about or are you just trying to stir **** up for fun on a boring Thursday?

And oh what a big deal? Yea, chief, it’s a pretty big deal when in order to get out of that contract for a bigger one, you fake retire to go play in a different league after demanding a contract so big the team got penalized for giving it to you.

I like how everything you say is TRUTHZZZZ!!!11! But everyone else’s comments on it are “you don’t know what he’s thinking”. Well shut up then because by your own logic you have no basis to say I or anyone else is wrong.

You ignored the question "chief". Do you hate all free agents?

He didn't "fake retire". He filed his retirement papers because under the CBA that is what was required. Do you get upset when an owner uses the CBA to make a decision in his own best interest? If you don't like the CBA blame the owners.

Oh, and Will Butcher used that same CBA to get what he wanted in order to avoid signing with the team that drafted him. Where is your faux righteous indignation about that.

And BTW, good for him if he used the CBA because there was a concern that his owner couldn't pay him. Maybe the league should have been a little more careful in approving that ownership if it was on such shaky ground.

Face it. You don't have a problem with what he did (unless you dislike Butcher and any UFA you've gotten). You have a problem he did it to you.

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
I wonder if he gets a Marleau type deal. I’m sure that’s what his agent will aim for

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad