Speculation: Illinois about to announce jump up to NCAA Division I hockey?

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
EDIT: Disregard this post. Apparently going to be nothing, the folks at the US College Hockey twitter account are just blowing hot air.

Ooooooooooooooooooooooooooh snap....

https://twitter.com/USCollegeHockey/status/361255995890085889

Been speculated for a few days that a major ACHA program was going to announce jumping up to the NCAA with a varsity hockey program, and the twitter feed that started the speculation seems to be hyping Illinois hockey's supposed big announcement.

Hoping like hell that the speculation's true. Would love to see the Illini create a varsity hockey program, but there'll have to be news about a major donation to build a new arena if this is true, and I have some difficulty believing the school could've kept the lid on it.

In other words, very hopeful and yet simultaneously doubtful right now.

Last edited:

LBS8844

Apr 10, 2013
If it happens, I can promise you it was a long, LONG time in the making. Truly the next logical Big-10 program to make the jump, all considered. Would be interesting to see how Illinois would fit the program into the varsity athletic budget. Can tell you one thing, if they were to open for a year or two at the U of I Ice Arena before building a new facility, things would get very interesting with the ridiculously wide surface and overhanging fans. That house gets downright intimidating for visitors.

http://www.campusrec.illinois.edu/facilities/icearena/

Here's their schedule for the upcoming ACHA D1 season... http://www.illinihockey.com/News/2013_07_24.htm

Last edited:

Ace Rothstein

Aces High
Mar 13, 2012
This would be outstanding, especially since I'm only 85 miles north of CU. I really hope this is true.

LBS8844

Apr 10, 2013
Like Shogun said, hard to imagine they'd have been able to keep a lid on it. That said, they simply historically have not made advance press releases like these.

Sevanston

Dec 27, 2009
NYC
I was just getting my hopes up.

Chris Peters ‏@chrismpeters 25m
The cryptic Illinois hockey Facebook post has already been removed. Might have nothing to do with anything. We'll see. (H/t @UTPbrandon)

Chris Peters ‏@chrismpeters 16m
Hearing Illinois hockey's "big announcement" is regarding a new jersey for the club team, not a new B1G team. Fun.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Wet blanket'd. Illinois' big announcement is apparently just going to be a new sweater.

Knew I shouldn't have gotten my hopes up.

committedindian86

Bedard SZN
Jun 7, 2010
Chicago, IL
I was just getting my hopes up.

Chris Peters ‏@chrismpeters 25m
The cryptic Illinois hockey Facebook post has already been removed. Might have nothing to do with anything. We'll see. (H/t @UTPbrandon)

Chris Peters ‏@chrismpeters 16m
Hearing Illinois hockey's "big announcement" is regarding a new jersey for the club team, not a new B1G team. Fun.

I worked with Chris Peters in High School, good dude for USA hockey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad