The Sabres look really good

Status
Not open for further replies.

BFLO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2015
Don't look at the standings guys. It's a mirage. We all know the Sabres aren't really in 1st place in the entire NHL.

Edmonton does have a game in hand and no losses in OT or reg. They could pass us.

Reactions: Jeremy2020

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
They do look good.
Small sample size.
Glad they're picking up points though.
Glad key guys and lots of surprises look good.

When I turn on a game now I look forward to good hockey. I don't have a backup plan for if I rage quit midway through the 2nd. That's enough for me, I don't worry about my expectations and just take it game by game.

lauraP

Aug 4, 2019
tenor.gif

Man of Principles

The Krueger Effect
Nov 30, 2011
The difference this year is defense. Sabres haven't had a transition game this good for..well, ever really. Jokiharju and Miller are both smooth skating and smart in their own end. Dahlin, while having his defensive lapses has the mental fortitude to learn and shake off mistakes. Has also looked awesome offensively. It has allowed the forwards to be more cohesive and faster. The speed and passing has been a pleasure to watch so far.

And also coaching. Krueger is living up to his reputation as a motivator. The whole team clearly wants to play for him every time they hop over the boards. They had clearly tuned Housley out.

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX
Big difference between this year and last year is the underlying metrics. The team should be winning based upon how they are playing, whereas last year, it was goaltending and the top line.

Vastly improved defense. There is a big question as to which defenseman will come out of the lineup once Montour is healthy again. That's how deep the defense is this year

Montag DP

Sabres fan in...
Apr 4, 2007
...Maryland
And also coaching. Krueger is living up to his reputation as a motivator. The whole team clearly wants to play for him every time they hop over the boards. They had clearly tuned Housley out.
You put it too kindly for Housley. It's not just a matter of being a good motivator vs not - he was clueless. The defensive scheme -- if it could be called that -- consisted of everyone running around trying to play man defense, and as a result always being behind the play, disorganized, and dead tired. The breakout involved little to no puck support from the forwards. As far as I can tell, the offensive zone plan was to keep throwing it around the boards and hope for a shot from the point to get through, and then make lots of really bad pinches to try to keep it in. The powerplay went from 1st in the league during Bylsma's last year to 20th in Housley's first year, and Bylsma was not a good coach either, by any stretch. The penalty kill was characterized by 4 guys standing in a box, hardly pressuring the guy with the puck, and often leaving guys wide open. If they tuned Housley out, that was probably a good decision.

Edit: oh yeah, I forgot the neutral zone plan. That was to keep backing up and let the opposing team cross the blue line.

Last edited:

tuozzi

Dec 9, 2011
Turku
Really happy for them. My favourite jersey in the league. :)
I think this could actually be sustainable this time. Well, maybe not quite that pace, but I think they'll be in the playoffs. They have decent pieces around legit 1C and 1D and I also like Krueger as a coach. I just hope their goaltending will hold up..

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
But they're not playing like this if Housley is still the coach.
The signs were there last year, unfortunately the goaltending and depth fell apart. This year they have more depth and are a year older. The change in coaching was needed to Kruger.

Last edited:

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
I post on another forum and we have a member from Sweden. He called Olafsson as a gamechanger right away.

Yeah, Olofsson is not a surprise to those who've been following him. Listening to interviews with other teams' staff throughout the preseason, it definitely seemed like hockey guys knew who Olofsson was and that the Sabres had a player in him. 2 years ago, he led the SHL in goals; last year, in the AHL, he scored 30 goals and led the Amerks in scoring with 63 points in 66 games, and that while he was learning to play in all situations (PK, closing out with a narrow lead, etc.); he also produced well in the NHL his brief call-up at the end of the season. His shot has been NHL caliber for a few years, but the Sabres took their time letting him develop other aspects of his game before giving him his shot in the NHL, and it's paying off.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
Better goalie coaching and team defense should make a huge difference in goalie performance. But it's not a valid argument until they actually show it.
Sabre fans are getting used to pleasant surprises so far this season and it won't be a huge shock if goaltending holds up this year.

Reactions: Doohickie

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
The difference this year is defense. Sabres haven't had a transition game this good for..well, ever really. Jokiharju and Miller are both smooth skating and smart in their own end. Dahlin, while having his defensive lapses has the mental fortitude to learn and shake off mistakes. Has also looked awesome offensively. It has allowed the forwards to be more cohesive and faster. The speed and passing has been a pleasure to watch so far.

The difference is not defense. Its the the powerplay and it isnt even close.

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
Yeah, Olofsson is not a surprise to those who've been following him. Listening to interviews with other teams' staff throughout the preseason, it definitely seemed like hockey guys knew who Olofsson was and that the Sabres had a player in him. 2 years ago, he led the SHL in goals; last year, in the AHL, he scored 30 goals and led the Amerks in scoring with 63 points in 66 games, and that while he was learning to play in all situations (PK, closing out with a narrow lead, etc.); he also produced well in the NHL his brief call-up at the end of the season. His shot has been NHL caliber for a few years, but the Sabres took their time letting him develop other aspects of his game before giving him his shot in the NHL, and it's paying off.
Ok so 2 years ago...what about 5 years ago or at the draft? Obviously after his AHL success, anyone could predict NHL success, but still nowhere near this level.

He is a surprise to absolutely everyone in the hockey world.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
The difference is not defense. Its the the powerplay and it isnt even close.

So the PP is helping keep HDSC and shots against down? Who knew!

The idiocy that was Phil's "system" in his own zone is gone. As a team, they're playing much better defensively instead of their man-on-man Housley trainwreck. It also hasn't hurt that they have defense who can pass the puck on the outlet instead of either fumbling it away or pounding it off the glass for another bought of the opposition cycling.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Better goalie coaching and team defense should make a huge difference in goalie performance. But it's not a valid argument until they actually show it.
Sabre fans are getting used to pleasant surprises so far this season and it won't be a huge shock if goaltending holds up this year.

The goalies so far haven't had to face open backdoor guys night after night, allowing them to just stay square and calm. The d have been better at finding open players on the breakout and at the same time, the forwards are almost to a man coming back very deep to both pressure on the backcheck and give the d-men multiple, short-range outlets. It's so far from what they have tried to do under the last two regimes.

Reactions: muhmuhMatt

DickSmehlik

Oct 23, 2006
The Empire State
Don't underestimate the additions of Olafsson and Johansson. They added much needed depth.

Buffalo's middle 6 was the worst in the league last season.

Skinner-Eichel-Reinhardt
Sheary - Mittlestadt - Sobtka
Pominville - Rodrigues-Thompson

Olafsson allowed Skinner to drop down to the 2nd line and Johnasson allows Mittlestadt to drop down to the 3/4th line.

Their depth will be tested once injuries creep in but for now they are pretty solid.

Reactions: Dubi Doo

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
The Sabres winning is fine! As long as it doesnt make ticket prices too crazy. I wanna continue to come down the QEW.
Watching the game Friday night and I was amazed at how many empty seats there were.
Any idea if that was unusual or are they just not drawing?

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
Watching the game Friday night and I was amazed at how many empty seats there were.
I saw that aswell. Was surprised, to be honest.

Usually Sabre fans sell most of the prime games (Tor/Pitt/Mtl etc) to recoup the cost and go to the others... didn't think they had a problem filling the arena.

Still love going down to Buff, specifically Williamsville for a weekend of good wings, cheap brews and leaf game with friends/fam.

Buf fan in Nash

Jul 18, 2018
Nashville, TN

Its the effect of the team being terrible the last several years. It also takes some time for the city to realize they actually have a good hockey team on their hands. The Bills are also having a good season so far which also takes some focus off the Sabre's hot start.

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY

The franchise has been sitting on the league's longest active playoff drought, and has been downright terrible most of the years. Eventually, a lost decade is going to sap attendance in any market. In most cities, it would be far worse. This team still had a waiting list for season tickets for the first several years of the drought. It takes a long time and a lot of losing to kill that kind of demand, but eventually it's going to take a toll.

But it won't take too long of the team showing signs that they are becoming competitive, for the fans to start pack the building again.

And as mentioned, the Bills' hot start may also be taking some of the spotlight away from the Sabres at the moment.

Reactions: Chainshot
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->