The Sabres look really good

Status
Not open for further replies.

JTToilinginToronto

Isles Fan
Jan 18, 2019
I remember a similar thread early last season, so I'd hold off on singing their praise right now.

That said, on paper, their roster looks good. One would think that all that talent has to be able to put it together for a whole season eventually.

Reactions: Helsinki Hurricanes

BFLO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2015
So last night was my first Buffalo game of the season. I am not convinced they are a playoff team yet. The division is tough, I don't think they make a spot, and the east is strong so the wildcard battle will be tough. Here are my reasons.

- I am not sold on Hutton being a guy who can play at a high level for the 60 games it would likely take

- Right now, the wins are coming on the back of an unsustainably hot PP. I was impressed with the movement and all of that, but it isn't going to run at 60% forever. In fact, if it ends the year at 30% I would be shocked.

- While this can be corrected with coaching, I am still seeing the same break downs that have costed them in previous years. Buffalo has started strong the past few years, but it seems like the consistency demanded of an 82 game season is what gets them.

Eichel had a good game, but I still saw him dogging it defensively on multiple goals. It seemed at times the team either stopped skating or forgot how to play hockey.

I am not sure if a coach is enough to overcome some of the mentality issues that have plagued the team. What is going to happen when the PP goes cold and they hit their first big losing streak? Are they going to just give up on the season like in the past? It's hard to say with new coaching.

Also is Oolf going to remain shooting 30%? What happens when their depth scoring regresses to their average?

I am not sure. Sabres are in the same tier as Edmonton for me where they need to prove it before they get the benefit of the doubt. I think a lot if going really well for them right now.
Agree with your take for most part.

But the Sabres have not started strong the last few years. It was only last season.

Iggys Dome

Not allowed to say the “R-Word” (rebuild)
Mar 19, 2018
Cap Space
I think they can sneak in and make the playoffs this year, maybe not a divisional spot but definitely as a WC. Would like to see some success for them, passionate fanbase and I really like Eichel+Dahlin. Not to mention Ralph Krueger is the real deal as HC.

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
Kindof a surprise... 7th rd pick finally getting his real chance at 24. Maybe the Sabres diehards following their prospects closely saw it coming, but the rest of the hockey world didnt.
I mean he did dominate pretty hard in 2 pro leagues(AHL, SHL) previously before finally starting this season and he also had 4 in 6 a short stint last year showing he can play with men. Though he had a questionable play on that SHGA he usually has an all around game which is great for a sniper meaning he can pass a lot better than Skinner and both of them aren't bad defensively.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
I remember a similar thread early last season, so I'd hold off on singing their praise right now.

That said, on paper, their roster looks good. One would think that all that talent has to be able to put it together for a whole season eventually.

Eh, 2/3rds of the roster is great. I like our D and we have a solid 4th line, 5 outta 6 of our top 6 are good. I'm hoping/thinking that when our D gets healthy we move someone for some offensive help and we'll look much better when that occurs.

If all goes well- stacked division, but I see no reason why we wouldn't be battling (likely) MTL and someone else for a wildcard spot.

SabresGirl06

Jan 24, 2013
Buffalo, NY
I mean it's only 5 games in And plenty of hockey left but this new sabres team is going to surprise a lot of teams who think their like last years team and "just barely getting by". Their whole system is stronger, faster and poised. A regulation loss is bound to come....my bet is they lose to a bottom feeder as they will see it as an easy win.

EP40 AKA Lil Wayne

May 9, 2013
Hoping Mittelstadt has a good year and comes in beasting next season, if so Sabres sits in a decent position to build from with Eichel, Dahlin, Reinhart, Mittelstadt, Skinner, Risto and Mojo.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
I enjoyed that they won a game that was back and forth tooth and nail without the Eichel or Skinner line scoring. That didn’t happen last year. They earned it.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012

The difference is that this year, the underlying metrics say the Sabres deserve to be winning.

That obviously doesn't guarantee the team will continue to play well or that the results will continue to come, but it does tell you the early results aren't a mirage.

JTToilinginToronto

Isles Fan
Jan 18, 2019
The difference is that this year, the underlying metrics say the Sabres deserve to be winning.

That obviously doesn't guarantee the team will continue to play well or that the results will continue to come, but it does tell you the early results aren't a mirage.

I think it's a bit too early to take any statistics, advanced or not, seriously. Short sample.

But as I said, when I look at the Sabres roster, I see an overall good team with two generational talents so it would not surprise me to see them put it together this year. We shall see.

Mit Yarrum

HoF Turd Shiner
Apr 1, 2010
He has the skill and vision to succeed, but his future is a lot less clear now. His development took a nosedive last year after the O'Reilly trade/Berglund "retirement"; he was forced into a role that he was not ready for. He should have spent much of last year in the AHL, but now he is playing ~10 minutes a game with Jimmy Vesey.
Hockey player development is almost never linear.

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
I think it's a bit too early to take any statistics, advanced or not, seriously. Short sample.

But as I said, when I look at the Sabres roster, I see an overall good team with two generational talents so it would not surprise me to see them put it together this year. We shall see.

Yes, the sample size is too small to be predictive of future results, the post you quoted said as much itself. But they do show the team likely deserved to win the games they have won. They are not predictive of future results but are descriptive of past games and the Sabres being good and deserving to win them. That's what the poster was saying.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
I'm a bit of closet Sabres fan and am expecting better things this year. At the same time, I think the record flatters them right now.

Absolut

Mar 7, 2002
NYC
Might be the true break out year for my boy Eichel. I've been waiting for a while now :laugh:.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017

Lmao, what?

krt88nc

Oct 7, 2017
Fayetteville, NC
No they arent. They are off to a good start. Good teams don’t blow 2 goal third period leads in 40% of their games and live off a 50% power play.

they’ve improved from last year, are playing a much better style but 5 games is a terrible sample size to declare them as good. Talk to me after 20.

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
No they arent. They are off to a good start. Good teams don’t blow 2 goal third period leads in 40% of their games and live off a 50% power play.

they’ve improved from last year, are playing a much better style but 5 games is a terrible sample size to declare them as good. Talk to me after 20.
Ya, I see a bit of a speed wobble happening the last couple of games. Expecting to get absolutely schooled Monday against Dallas.

Magic Mittens

Nov 2, 2006
Calgary
The real test will come in November. They have a pretty weak schedule in October ( bunch of struggling/weaker teams )

But, hopefully the momentum the get will keep them rolling when they face the tougher teams

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->