Ilari Melart

YARR123

Oct 30, 2010
Melart has obviously progressed very well over the years - from a goon to a physical two-way defenceman with decent puck skills. Is there any chance he garners interest among NHL teams? Sort of like Joonas Järvinen, their development has been very similar.

Finnpin

"internet"
Oct 10, 2005
Helsinki
From 7th dman who mostly only tried to pick fights to EHT-defender now... not bad development at all...Finland needs these type of physical defenders. Checked just his age and only 23 years old... I hope some NHL team picks him and hopefully Melart could try in the AHL.

His fighting "skills" are little bit overhyped...IMO not very good at it if you compare to AHL-level but at least he is ready to drop gloves easily.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
It has actually become something of an unhailed Jalonen trademark, discovering these stay-at-home D who do nothing fancy, but still do their jobs well enough to leave their mark even on WHC level.

He started with Topi Jaakola way back when, with Pasi Puistola and Joonas Järvinen to be accounted as well. And now it looks like Melart will be his parting gift.

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
I'm not sure if he has what it takes to actually break into an NHL team, but I could see someone signing him next summer. Possible AHLer next season.

Dropkick Murphy

Jul 9, 2011
In the bubble
Melart is quite interesting player, started out as a joke and now is almost NHL-ready. Wouldn't be surprised to see him skating some NHL matches next season. Inspiring story :handclap:

Needles

Jun 29, 2010
Wouldn't be surprised if Melart became an Oiler. Matti Virmanen is their head European scout and has already arranged several SM-liiga stars to the organisation: Petrell, Tyrväinen & Hovinen.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Can you guys tell us more about him, there's not too much info out there other than he's a good stay at home/two way defenseman that will jump into a fight to defend his team mates.
Well, that's pretty much what he is and what he does. A bottom-pair guy who isn't afraid to rough it up. Brings toughness to the defensive zone crease. Mentally tough as nails too, doesn't give an inch to anybody, be it their worst goon or most shining star. Decent slapper... when he uses it.

A solid depth signing, as long as you don't expect anything fancy from him.

Finnpin

"internet"
Oct 10, 2005
Helsinki
It's actually very funny that it was Seiska that told the CBJ signing first :laugh:

Seiska to be come the most legit hockey source in Finland? :D well the competition isn't very hard....UL....etc. LOL

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
It's actually very funny that it was Seiska that told the CBJ signing first
Since this is Ilari we're talking about, I'm hardly surprised. They must have run into him in some bar.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad