GDT: IIHF World Championships Thread

hardkorejackets

Nov 6, 2013
Coldwater, OH
As most people know already- Team USA (Cam Atkinson, Sonny Milano) won the Bronze today over Canada. Cam had 11 points. Dubois had 7 points this tournament. Milano had 2 points and a whopping grand total of around 25 minutes in the 10 game tournament.

Dean Kukan and Switzerland just won the Silver medal in the tournament. Dean had 3 points.

hardkorejackets

Nov 6, 2013
Coldwater, OH
So does that make the coaching staff for Team USA morons as well? Still trying to figure this one out.

Oh, I don't mean to insinuate anything here... I didn't watch much of the tournament. I just found it interesting that he didn't play much minutes for Team USA either. I was just posting his stat line and that's obviously one that sticks out.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
Oh, I don't mean to insinuate anything here... I didn't watch much of the tournament. I just found it interesting that he didn't play much minutes for Team USA either. I was just posting his stat line and that's obviously one that sticks out.

I know, just poking fun at other folks. I also think that's a noteworthy stat.

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
Kukan lead all the swiss players in TOI in OT(4on4 for 20 minutes) - 8min. Next was Roman Josi with 7:54.
Edit: So he can shoot, he can pass (Look at this!), he can skate, why he was burried in AHL again?

Last edited:
Reactions: CPTN71

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
Because right now he's not as good as Zach, Seth, Savard, Nutivaara or Murray, and last year you weren't going to play him over Johnson either.
Why? because of leadership shmeadership? And then we are gasping about Vegas and opportunity.
I really suggest you to watch at least full OT of Sweden vs Swiss.

Here is him dealing with our favorite Hornqvist. That guy is not easy to remove from the crease area.

Last edited:

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Let's send him to Vegas then, the Development land!
Don't Godwin. It's not appropriate.

The point being, he wasn't ready to take on that responsibility at the start of this past season. The passage of time brings changing circumstances, and one of those appears to be that maybe he is ready for this coming season. This is a good thing.

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
Kukan lead all the swiss players in TOI in OT(4on4 for 20 minutes) - 8min. Next was Roman Josi with 7:54.
Edit: So he can shoot, he can pass (Look at this!), he can skate, why he was burried in AHL again?

Maybe because he wasn't ready to take on true NHL responsibilities until this past season when he showed he belonged when he was healthy. It's really too bad he hurt his shoulder this season. He'll be a fixture in our top-6 moving forward.

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
Was there ever a reason made publicly for Jones not to play? Every time I think about that roster, I think, man what a difference he would have made.

hardkorejackets

Nov 6, 2013
Coldwater, OH
Was there ever a reason made publicly for Jones not to play? Every time I think about that roster, I think, man what a difference he would have made.

I never heard anything official as to why he didn't come over... But, I had presumed that Seth was maybe sitting out due to the slight injury he had towards the end of the regular season that held him out for a week or so and the last game of the regular season.

Reactions: Mikey09

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Werenski--Jones
Murray--Savard
Kukan-Nutivaara
Id flip flop Savard and Nuti. gives every pair a defensive guy and a guy who likes to skate. Only thing I have been thinking about is the PK. Does Kukan-Savard work or maybe Nuti could work there. I know Werenski can do it and wants to be all around like Jones but really he is best served worrying about the offensive side of things

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Id flip flop Savard and Nuti. gives every pair a defensive guy and a guy who likes to skate. Only thing I have been thinking about is the PK. Does Kukan-Savard work or maybe Nuti could work there. I know Werenski can do it and wants to be all around like Jones but really he is best served worrying about the offensive side of things
I wouldn't be surprised to see Z start taking some PK minutes next season. His body should be ready to start taking and more minutes. They have the faith in him to play PK, but like you said he needs to be able to play both offense and defense effectively.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Rumors in Switzerland are that Elvis is trying to get out of his last contract-year with Lugano to sign with you guys.

And yes, it's worth to watch Kukan in the final (and the semis), he was awesome. And especially the Swedish team had a very good roster. I really hope he can finally have a full NHL-season, he really deserved it.

CharlotteJacket

Apr 11, 2013
Charlotte, NC
I know he's still young and I'm far from giving up on him, but Sonny Milano might be coming to one of these "forks in the road" as far as his career goes. Torts took a lot of grief from some about Milano's minutes this year, but Sonny was scratched a couple of games in the tournament and in a couple more, he was a roster player who got zero ice time. That's almost hard to fathom - zero ice time. I know the CBJ brass are no nonsense, direct people so hopefully Sonny takes to heart what they're saying because now it's a completely different staff giving him very low minutes.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
I know he's still young and I'm far from giving up on him, but Sonny Milano might be coming to one of these "forks in the road" as far as his career goes. Torts took a lot of grief from some about Milano's minutes this year, but Sonny was scratched a couple of games in the tournament and in a couple more, he was a roster player who got zero ice time. That's almost hard to fathom - zero ice time. I know the CBJ brass are no nonsense, direct people so hopefully Sonny takes to heart what they're saying because now it's a completely different staff giving him very low minutes.
But he wasn't being benched for a Dubinsky or a Letestu in the tournament .

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
But he wasn't being benched for a Dubinsky or a Letestu in the tournament .

Those are centers. Milano is a winger.

JFC...I'm pretty sure CR was saying at least at the WC he was being benched in favor of good/better players not slugs like Dubi & Letestu. He wasn't saying anything about position.And both Dubi & Letestu played wing on occasion fwiw.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
JFC...I'm pretty sure CR was saying at least at the WC he was being benched in favor of good/better players not slugs like Dubi & Letestu. He wasn't saying anything about position.And both Dubi & Letestu played wing on occasion fwiw.
In such a case, he can name the players in question rather than forcing us to assume Brian Gibbons is a better player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad