IIHF World Championship

Goomba

Mario is a Devils fan
May 7, 2021
My bad it that was confusing, it does include NHL players. But Matt Roy is the only dman on the roster I would consider a quality NHL player. They have quite a few NHL guys at forward tho Robertson, Garland, LaBanc
I didnt mean you confused me

Im confused by.. why is the roster so poor? Didnt the last WHC's have Kane playing with Jack, and guys like Eichel Larkin etc..?

I looked at the US roster and Garland is the best forward

Alex NJD

Apr 28, 2015
Parsippany, New Jersey
I didnt mean you confused me

Im confused by.. why is the roster so poor? Didnt the last WHC's have Kane playing with Jack, and guys like Eichel Larkin etc..?

I looked at the US roster and Garland is the best forward
That was probably the most stacked roster USA ever had. Lots of people were surprised Eichel, Kane, and DeBrincat all went. Honestly Kane saying he was going might have been a bit of a domino effect. I know Larkin usually always takes any chance he gets to rep USA so it is surprising he isn't going.

I could see why a lot of people don't wanna go with COVID and how weird this year was. I wouldn't fault anyone for not wanting to go over to Europe when theres already a shortened offseason this year.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Ya this year is weird and most players are just plain worn out. Having to go overseas and quarantine once again , and battle through jet lag and all, that crap after a very condensed schedule. I cannot blame anyone for not wanting to go this year. This year by far will have the weakest lineups in a long time.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
That was probably the most stacked roster USA ever had. Lots of people were surprised Eichel, Kane, and DeBrincat all went. Honestly Kane saying he was going might have been a bit of a domino effect. I know Larkin usually always takes any chance he gets to rep USA so it is surprising he isn't going.

I could see why a lot of people don't wanna go with COVID and how weird this year was. I wouldn't fault anyone for not wanting to go over to Europe when theres already a shortened offseason this year.
Kane captained the team two years in a row, he went in 2017-18 and the US won Bronze medal game (beating Canada) that year, with Butcher, Coleman and Kinky.

The stacked 2018-19 roster lost in quarter-finals to Russia, with Schneider in goal. The team obviously needed more Devils, though a pre-draft Jack Hughes played with Quinn on that team.

Kane recently had his first kid so he’s staying home. Larkin is injured, he hasn’t played since late April.

You’re right, it’s brutal line-up. After Conor Garland and Kevin Leblanc there’s drop off in forwards. Canada is real young but less scrubby.

Reactions: Alex NJD

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
That US roster may be one of the worst hockey teams ever assembled.

Not even close. USA Hockey has rarely sent its best team to the world championship - both due to the NHL playoffs but also because it generally uses the tournament to give younger players a look in international play but also because it tends to favor players who have gone through the NTDP program.

The last time the tournament was in Latvia, this was the USA roster.

USA at eliteprospects.com

Mgd31

Aug 7, 2007
Levittown, NY
Not even close. USA Hockey has rarely sent its best team to the world championship - both due to the NHL playoffs but also because it generally uses the tournament to give younger players a look in international play but also because it tends to favor players who have gone through the NTDP program.

The last time the tournament was in Latvia, this was the USA roster.

USA at eliteprospects.com

I think this roster is worse than that one, but to each his own.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
I think this roster is worse than that one, but to each his own.

It may turn out to be. Was just making the point that the roster has often been a mix of AHL and lower line NHL players with a handful of marquis names (usually those who played in the NTDP).

On another note, it's too bad Kevin Bahl won't be in Latvia after all.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
So.. what players are all going that the Devils own their rights?
Nico Shara Bahl( was but is injured) any prospects like Holtz make it for Sweden?

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
So.. what players are all going that the Devils own their rights?
Nico Shara Bahl( was but is injured) any prospects like Holtz make it for Sweden?
No one is playing for Sweden Holtz wasn’t even invited to their camp. Siegenthaler is playing for Switzerland as well and Studenic for Slovakia I believe.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad