OT: IIHF World Championship

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
853700807.gif

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Nyquist was very good in the last two games against Canada and Italy, if he keeps it up he'll have a productive Thursday against Belarus aswell.

Btw Gaudreau is an incredible player.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Very nice. Somebody should mention to # 3 that body contact is allowed. They should also tell # 22 when he points to say to take the other man he should actually take the guy he Say's he will. (NV: I guess it was a 2-1 still)

Great patience from Tatar.

What about that complete failure of a backcheck around the guy Tatar initially blew past?

Tatar slowed way up to make that toe drag move. If that guy following him would have just skated a little longer he could have lifted Tat's stick. Alas.

NyquistIsMyGod*

What about that complete failure of a backcheck around the guy Tatar initially blew past?

Tatar slowed way up to make that toe drag move. If that guy following him would have just skated a little longer he could have lifted Tat's stick. Alas.

Or the player was smart and knew he couldn't stop Tatar. Not possible. Elimination added a new level to his game. 105-125 points next season IMO.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Not sure which topic to put this in...

Just turned on the world champs and they said abdelkader got 5 and a game for a charge, anybody see it? They scored twice on it. Would like to see a vid

Edit

I think that's a harder hit than anything he's thrown with Detroit the past two seasons.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I think that's a harder hit than anything he's thrown with Detroit the past two seasons.

My 1st thought was exactly same... Matt Cooke stuff.

Would be a nice "hit" at playoff series, but the stupidest unneeded headshot to do in best-of-1 series. That killed USA today. You can't be that idiot as a Captain of your team.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
My 1st thought was exactly same... Matt Cooke stuff.

Would be a nice "hit" at playoff series, but the stupidest unneeded headshot to do in best-of-1 series. That killed USA today. You can't be that idiot as a Captain of your team.

I don't think the hit is that bad except for the incidental contact to the head. He didn't really hit him from the side, and from the gif it doesn't look like his feet leave the ice until he's made contact. Maybe he gets called for something in the NHL if the other guy doesn't get up, but I think it's mostly just a helluva hit.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
1-0 Sweden against Belarus after 1. Nyquist is playing amazing hockey, I'll be surprised if he doesn't end up scoring.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Nyquist was snakebitten but he was named the best Swedish player of the game. Would be nice to see him score a goal against Russia.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
We will find out with the new guy, have to be honest that was a lot less vicious than the Nash hit a couple seasons ago for instance.

Needs to be smarter in international hockey, though I have a feeling having been suspended once in this tournament the length of the penalty he would have to serve and the kind of player he is, this might be the last we see of Abdelkader at the World Championships. Hopefully we are going deep enough in the playoffs it doesn't matter anyway.

zecke26

Jan 16, 2003
Needs to be smarter in international hockey

that's his problem. he's not smart enough hockey wise to adapt international play. i mean, it was ridiculous to see that a guy who is probably among the tougher wings players constantly get rocked in a IIHF tourney that is often labeled soft. he was sitting on his ass a lot the last days.

so i wonder if he was just frustrated to be on the receiving end all the time.

Gyldenlove

Jun 10, 2013
Nyquist was snakebitten but he was named the best Swedish player of the game. Would be nice to see him score a goal against Russia.

Nyquist will be king studly for a long time. A line with him, Mantha and Datsyuk in a couple of years would be something special to watch.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Nyquist will be king studly for a long time. A line with him, Mantha and Datsyuk in a couple of years would be something special to watch.

Nyquist has played better with Zetterberg, but whatever I guess.

Be nice to find one of these kids that prefers Datsyuk to Zetterberg, I doubt it though, Zetterberg is an easier star to play with.

I actually think Jurco has shown some promise in terms of his play with Datsyuk.

Of course this is assuming they don't put D and Z together which they probably should as they age.

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
I think Sheahan and Mantha could both be Dats players. Dats needs players that can play without the puck. Mantha is more a seams shooter which Dats thrived with during his time with Hull & a young Z. Sheahan has soft hands around the net and the size to create space for Dats to get him the puck. Dats has only had great chemistry with two guys in his career in Hull and a young Z. He plays a very unique game that doesn't always work with others. I don't see Nyquist being a Dats type player because he likes to have the puck. The same goes for Tatar.

NyquistIsMyGod*

Nyquist has played better with Zetterberg, but whatever I guess.

Be nice to find one of these kids that prefers Datsyuk to Zetterberg, I doubt it though, Zetterberg is an easier star to play with.

I actually think Jurco has shown some promise in terms of his play with Datsyuk.

Of course this is assuming they don't put D and Z together which they probably should as they age.

Always felt the opposite of in terms of playings wanter toplay with whom up until two years ago. Z meshed in this season with Abdelkader, Franzen, and Nyquist. Dats, honestly, nobody. Abdelkader to a level. I'm actually in favor of trying Gus with Dats again with Jurco on the opposite side as well.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Always felt the opposite of in terms of playings wanter toplay with whom up until two years ago. Z meshed in this season with Abdelkader, Franzen, and Nyquist. Dats, honestly, nobody. Abdelkader to a level. I'm actually in favor of trying Gus with Dats again with Jurco on the opposite side as well.

I have never felt that way, in all honesty I think Zetterberg is one of the easiest stars to play with in the league, he is up there in terms of that over the now close to 30 years I have been watching hockey. He clicks with everyone, it is because he is fairly predictable.

Datsyuk is one of the harder ones and it just because of how he plays the game. It isn't a surprise that basically Hull and Zetterberg are the only ones that have ever linked with him on a huge level. They are HHOF level players, Holmstrom is the best of the pedestrian players, but then again it really only worked spectacularly well when Zetterberg was there also.

Z's ability to click with players of all different playing styles is one of the biggest keys to his game. Datsyuk and Jurco seem interesting to me, I would keep Nyquist - Zetterberg and Franzen together if they are not reuniting Datsyuk and Zetterberg to help ease their minutes as they age. In which case Datsyuk gets his ultimate linemate back in Zetterberg, I think he elevates Datsyuk's game quite a bit. Datsyuk obviously being the best possible linemate helps Z a ton, but I have always thought since they separated that became quite clear, Z is easier to play with and has more chemistry throughout the lineup.

I think many might want play with Dats, it is amazing watching the things he does, but Z actually more consistently clicks. We will see, I want them together anyway and I am hoping the kids can deliver in terms of allowing that. Also Mantha might be the best kid in terms of playing with them, good at shrinking to dead areas but also big enough to man up in front if that is where the zone time has taken to them. If I could pick a player to play with them currently in the NHL it would be one of the two guys on the Habs in Vanek or Patches, Kreider is already sneaking up on third.

NyquistIsMyGod*

I have never felt that way, in all honesty I think Zetterberg is one of the easiest stars to play with in the league, he is up there in terms of that over the now close to 30 years I have been watching hockey. He clicks with everyone, it is because he is fairly predictable.

Datsyuk is one of the harder ones and it just because of how he plays the game. It isn't a surprise that basically Hull and Zetterberg are the only ones that have ever linked with him on a huge level. They are HHOF level players, Holmstrom is the best of the pedestrian players, but then again it really only worked spectacularly well when Zetterberg was there also.

Z's ability to click with players of all different playing styles is one of the biggest keys to his game. Datsyuk and Jurco seem interesting to me, I would keep Nyquist - Zetterberg and Franzen together if they are not reuniting Datsyuk and Zetterberg to help ease their minutes as they age. In which case Datsyuk gets his ultimate linemate back in Zetterberg, I think he elevates Datsyuk's game quite a bit. Datsyuk obviously being the best possible linemate helps Z a ton, but I have always thought since they separated that became quite clear, Z is easier to play with and has more chemistry throughout the lineup.

I think many might want play with Dats, it is amazing watching the things he does, but Z actually more consistently clicks. We will see, I want them together anyway and I am hoping the kids can deliver in terms of allowing that. Also Mantha might be the best kid in terms of playing with them, good at shrinking to dead areas but also big enough to man up in front if that is where the zone time has taken to them. If I could pick a player to play with them currently in the NHL it would be one of the two guys on the Habs in Vanek or Patches, Kreider is already sneaking up on third.

I'm different than you big time. I want them split up as I don't trust secondary scoring. If the secondary shows some consistent play then I am actually fine with them together. I don't see it yet though. I also felt during a big stretch Dats was easier to play well. During one year he killed it with his linemates, and then injuries occured. Val jumped up, played some unreal hockey. Best of his career to that part. Then Cleary did the same. Then Eaves. Might have been the year before Cleary's prime season. Dats played well with Holmstrom (better than Z with Homer). He played extremely well with Hossa.

I always felt Z's style was difficult to play with. He's a puck possession player who really doesn't pass much until he completely trusts you. He tends to hold onto it for too much. Z's a powerforward IMO. Weird, I know. He doesn't play the middle of the ice offensively. He goes to the corners.

But for some reason, everyone with Z this season clicked. It was unreal. Abby played his best hockey of the season with him. Mule played at a high level with consistent play. Nyquist was consistent, and this started his streak.

I've been saying two things.

Zetterberg-Weiss-Franzen

- Z's still the man but you have Weiss again in the middle as the third option.

2. Franzen-Zetterberg-Abdelkader

- More so based on chemistry, though this line never happened. Also allows Babs to try Gus with Dats again.

Jurco to me just screams total package. Defensive game wasn't a liability (not great). He is big, uses his body well, and is a damn good skater (above average). He shoots (doesn't have the scoring touch at this level yet), he goes to the net, solid passer, and has nifty hands. His net precense is wonderful as he can screen/deflect well.

Dats gets his size, a player that's big, and not afraid to shoot. Stylewise, it should work. With Dats' knee issues, a skater like Gus on his opposite wing should be good. He's not afraid to shoot either.

I haven't watched enough of Mantha honestly, so I'm not going to spew ********. I love Tats as the third line guy based on his style not being able to mesh with Z+D. He is a puck dominant player that gets good match-ups. Tats is a top six player IMO, but top six players don't need to play in the top six. See Loui Erksson in Boston.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I'm different than you big time. I want them split up as I don't trust secondary scoring. If the secondary shows some consistent play then I am actually fine with them together. I don't see it yet though. I also felt during a big stretch Dats was easier to play well. During one year he killed it with his linemates, and then injuries occured. Val jumped up, played some unreal hockey. Best of his career to that part. Then Cleary did the same. Then Eaves. Might have been the year before Cleary's prime season. Dats played well with Holmstrom (better than Z with Homer). He played extremely well with Hossa.

I always felt Z's style was difficult to play with. He's a puck possession player who really doesn't pass much until he completely trusts you. He tends to hold onto it for too much. Z's a powerforward IMO. Weird, I know. He doesn't play the middle of the ice offensively. He goes to the corners.

But for some reason, everyone with Z this season clicked. It was unreal. Abby played his best hockey of the season with him. Mule played at a high level with consistent play. Nyquist was consistent, and this started his streak.

I've been saying two things.

Zetterberg-Weiss-Franzen

- Z's still the man but you have Weiss again in the middle as the third option.

2. Franzen-Zetterberg-Abdelkader

- More so based on chemistry, though this line never happened. Also allows Babs to try Gus with Dats again.

Jurco to me just screams total package. Defensive game wasn't a liability (not great). He is big, uses his body well, and is a damn good skater (above average). He shoots (doesn't have the scoring touch at this level yet), he goes to the net, solid passer, and has nifty hands. His net precense is wonderful as he can screen/deflect well.

Dats gets his size, a player that's big, and not afraid to shoot. Stylewise, it should work. With Dats' knee issues, a skater like Gus on his opposite wing should be good. He's not afraid to shoot either.

I haven't watched enough of Mantha honestly, so I'm not going to spew ********. I love Tats as the third line guy based on his style not being able to mesh with Z+D. He is a puck dominant player that gets good match-ups. Tats is a top six player IMO, but top six players don't need to play in the top six. See Loui Erksson in Boston.

I guess we see what we want to, and that probably applies to my stance on Zetterberg as well so not a snipe. On the bold part that has been talked about a lot, though the numbers were not bad many have described that as one of the more interesting relationships that didn't work. I don't think they meshed all that well, like I said before the only two players who I have ever found to be exceptional with Dats were Zetterberg and Hull. Homer has his moments to be sure, but most of them came when that line was in tact.

Franzen for example has always been incredibly better with Zetterberg and in Filppula's career year (if you don't consider this past one his) his numbers were even better with Zetterberg on a line with Hudler.

Hudler is an interesting case, been a long time since Eva has been around, but really Hudler's most remarkable stretch in a Wings jersey came on a line with Datsyuk that was broken up for well... Babcock didn't like Hudler. He is a recent skill player I would say meshed a little better with Datsyuk than Zetterberg, of course he was pretty darn productive with Z as well which is kind of the splitting hairs part of the argument.

Anybody should produce with these guys, I think it is easier to learn Z's style and his holding the puck in the corner and finding attacking cutters or pumping it on net for rebounds. Datsyuk has unpredictability in his game, it is the reason why I would probably rate him in my top 5 all-time players to see in person and he is a joy to watch night in and night out. But it is also hard to get guys that can think the game like him or be in the right positions to read off him or take advantage of what he does consistently.

Last edited:

NyquistIsMyGod*

I guess we see what we want to, and that probably applies to my stance on Zetterberg as well so not a snipe. On the bold part that has been talked about a lot, though the numbers were not bad many have described that as one of the more interesting relationships that didn't work. I don't think they meshed all that well, like I said before the only two players who I have ever found to be exceptional with Dats were Zetterberg and Hull. Homer has his moments to be sure, but most of them came when that line was in tact.

Franzen for example has always been incredibly better with Zetterberg and in Filppula's career year (if you don't consider this past one his) his numbers were even better with Zetterberg on a line with Hudler.

Hudler is an interesting case, been a long time since Eva has been around, but really Hudler's most remarkable stretch in a Wings jersey came on a line with Datsyuk that was broken up for well... Babcock didn't like Hudler. He is a recent skill player I would say meshed a little better with Datsyuk than Zetterberg, of course he was pretty darn productive with Z as well which is kind of the splitting hairs part of the argument.

Anybody should produce with these guys, I think it is easier to learn Z's style and his holding the puck in the corner and finding attacking cutters or pumping it on net for rebounds. Datsyuk has unpredictability in his game, it is the reason why I would probably rate him in my top 5 all-time players to see in person and he is a joy to watch night in and night out. But it is also hard to get guys that can think the game like him or be in the right positions to read off him or take advantage of what he does consistently.

Val Filppula. Jiri Hudler. Johan Franzen. All of their best years came with Henrik Zetterberg, I'm not disagreeing. I was more so saying before the major outbreaks, Val, Cleary, etc played their best with Dats. That was about 9/10, 10/11. I think each of them was before their big breakout.

Z's had many more of the, "well that just works so well" lines. He had it with Val and Huds. He had it with Abby and Nyquist this season. He had it with Mule and Nyquist this season. I think Z's easier to play with, and has been for 2-3 years now. I was more so referring to how I felt the opposite a number of years ago.

Dats has been hard to find linemates all season. It shouldn't be that way. Honestly. If you look at his game, you would think shooters and players that go to teh net will have field days, which isn't the case. With Z being so playable with others, it's why I want to see Weiss with him. Z's a 1.00 PPG player. He's great defensively. I think he's right beside Jonathan Toews personally who some have said is a 2-3 best player in the world. Not saying Toews is at all. I don't think so at all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->