OT: IIHF World Championship

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Tournament is held in Minsk, Belarus, May 9-25.

Tatar is joining Team Slovakia. They're also trying to get Jurco to join if I translate it right, but we know he got sent to the Griffins.
http://www.hockeyslovakia.sk/sk/clanok/v-utorok-sa-k-reprezentacii-pripoji-hrivik

Zetterberg and Kronwall have already declined. Sweden's got some interest in Gustavsson and a lot of interest in Nyquist, pretty sure the rest would decline anyway. Right now the only fulltime NHLers on the team are Backlund and Ekholm.

Doubt we'll see many Wings this year as many of them are in dire need of rehab and rest.

Confirmed guys going:
Tatar
Nyquist
DeKeyser
Abdelkader
Kindl

Last edited:

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I'd love to see Nyquist get a chance to redeem himself after that ****** playoff.
Yeah and hopefully Tatar, Jurco, Franzen, Sheahan, Lashoff, Kindl, Dekeyser, Quincey, Legwand, Alfredsson, Glendening, Miller, Abdelkader and Babcock can redeem themselves too.

Seriously though I hope Nyquist goes. Sweden needs the help and he'd get a big role on that team. Go get another medal Gus.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Ansar Khan
@AnsarKhanMLive
Kindl, Tatar, Abdelkader, Nyquist will play in World Championship. DeKeyser will decide tomorrow. Howard, Zetterberg, Kronwall not playing.

Good news eh TZE ;)

Great chance for Nyquist. He'll get top line minutes.

kuick

Tatar Sauce
Aug 15, 2009
Grand Rapids
Will be a good experience for all the kids going.

But I'm glad the vets are choosing to sit out. Nothing to prove by going. Rest up for next year.

Matte99

May 23, 2010
Stockholm
Will be a good experience for all the kids going.

But I'm glad the vets are choosing to sit out. Nothing to prove by going. Rest up for next year.

True but the worlds are a big deal over here and they don't have that many more opportunities. Look at players like Sundin or Forsberg (icons, no one can say anything bad about them without an outrage) who always turned up and they sure as hell didnt mind getting celebrated by a 100 000 fans in Stockholm when they brought the gold home. One year the commercial tv network who owned the rights for the WHC actually rented a jet to fly Forsberg over, and he came, and he won and he loved it just as we all did. Its all a matter of priorities, guess Swedish hockey players are becoming less interested to carry their national colors. You are starting to wonder if they forgot where they came from, what made them celebrated NHL players.

Oh well, its their loss. A hockey career is short and if you want to be remembered as a great player you need to do it at home or you will end up as another statistic or even worse, a stingy guy without heart or sense of belonging.

Last edited:

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Young kid at home, new fat contract.. Vacation sounds better than 3 weeks in Belarus right.

For an American with a fat new contract and a kid at home Minsk is heaven. If you have dollars in your pocket Minsk is like the Wild West and Vegas combined. But if I were team USA I wouldn't want to use Howard.

jcbio11

Aug 17, 2008
Bratislava
Jurco isn't going anywhere, they didn't let him. Shame, because he would have made the team for sure and international matches are better learning experience for him than AHL IMO.

Tatar could be reunited with his WJC first line teammates from team Slovakia's 4th place finish year. Tatar - Viedensky - Panik.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Jurco isn't going anywhere, they didn't let him. Shame, because he would have made the team for sure and international matches are better learning experience for him than AHL IMO.

Tatar could be reunited with his WJC first line teammates from team Slovakia's 4th place finish year. Tatar - Viedensky - Panik.

Depends on what happens with the Griffins, but if the Griffins repeat and he plays 20 minutes a night through the middle of June that is better for his development. Understand Slovaks being disappointed, but I think this is the right call for his career and development. He did get to play in the Olympics already, so it isn't like they are keeping him from international experience where the talent is loaded as much as possible. We will see in the second round, of course if the Griffins lose, he also would be available for the medal round assuming they get there, he can do like some of the bigger NHL players and fly right over after elimination if he wants to.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada

Completely disagree. I can understand how you, as a Slovakian, would prefer to see Jurco play for Slovakia, but me, as a Red Wings fan, would much rather him have a nice run with GR again. He will get top line minutes in GR, and he could be this years Tatar on the AHL playoffs. He's already off to a good start with a goal in his first game, despite the loss.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Nyquist seems to start the tournament playing with Jarnkrok and Ericsson(yes big brother E).

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Nyquist seems to start the tournament playing with Jarnkrok and Ericsson(yes big brother E).

If they're bad together, I feel less anger about the trade but I am sad that Nyquist would be performing badly. If they're good together, I enjoy that Nyquist is performing well but it brings up those old wounds about the Hook.

Great.

NyquistIsMyGod*

And DeKeyser might be the best defenseman on that team. ^^ Team USA is very shallow.

NyquistIsMyGod*

The Wings should trade for Trouba. He fits pretty well with DeKeyser.

Not that Winnipeg would ever do it, of course. :(

I'm really starting to think Buff is gone. They're placing him at forward next season and he's said he's absolutely against that. On defense you have Buff, Enstrom, Bogosian, Trouba, and Stuart. Someone needs to go.

Tournament started today, right?

EDIT: It did.

Canada lost to France in a shootout...

DeKeyser was 0+1 today, and Abdelkader was 0+0. (USA won 5-0)
Tatar was 0+1 (Slovakia won 2-1)

Russia is probably the team to be right now. They're deep. Bobrovsky in net, with a roster having Ovechkin.

Last edited by a moderator:

NyquistIsMyGod*

Good lord, Abdelkader has no hands.

Abdelkader with average hands is a 45 point player this year. I can't think of many players on the team with worse hands. Drew Miller, Luke Glendening, and incredibly, of the regulars, that might be it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad