IIHF World Championship 2026, 2027, 2028

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
Then the homework is to make it profitable. And invest more money. Right now we see the clubs with a budget of around €5 million or a bit higher. With such sums, European club hockey will always be meaningless. I am sure you know Hruby´s words of a need at least €15 million to be even competitive.

But where to find this money? TV rights in Europe? Laughable. Also in KHL the numbers for TV rights is in some cases almost nothing.
Transfers? Its not soccer.

So it is only on sponsors. And who wants to feed a team with millions every year? There are some fanatics, but only few.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
But where to find this money? TV rights in Europe? Laughable. Also in KHL the numbers for TV rights is in some cases almost nothing.
Transfers? Its not soccer.

So it is only on sponsors. And who wants to feed a team with millions every year? There are some fanatics, but only few.
It is a duty of the clubs' owners to find a way of financing. The question is if they are able to do that with 6000 venues as we discuss here.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Money. As we all know, ice-hockey business isnt very profitable in Europe. And if they want to have bigger arena, they must seek other cultural activities to fill it and be in black numbers. And that is in some places hard to do.

Even Hartwall Arena operates at a loss. Has operated pretty much throughout it's existence. They tried to make it look profitable at first sight but detailed information showed that they just moved money from Jokerit to the arena. This is how it was when Jokerit still played in SM-Liiga.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Switzerland wants to held the 2026 IIHF Worlds in Fribourg & Zürich. Kazakhstan also wants the event for Nur-Sultan & Almaty.

Shawn Heins 44

Sep 22, 2012
Zurich
Switzerland wants to held the 2026 IIHF Worlds in Fribourg & Zürich. Kazakhstan also wants the event for Nur-Sultan & Almaty.

I hope we get the tournament after we had to cancel it in 2026. I am still disappointed as I had tickets to all Swiss games as well as QF, SF and the final.

swissdude

May 18, 2019
Kazakhstan could be interesting. So far east (from EU point) WCH never played.
I think in the actual situation hosting a WHC is the least problem in Kazakhstan hopefully this might change until 2026

Fjorden

Jan 17, 2021
Bergen, Norway
www.bergenishockey.no
I think in the actual situation hosting a WHC is the least problem in Kazakhstan hopefully this might change until 2026
Norway has chosen host cities today.

Telenor arena in Oslo with 14.000 seats.
Trondheim Spektrum in Trondheim with 9000 seats.

What will happen with the 2023 WC planned in Russia. Will it go to switzerland? Or will maybe Kazakhstan host 2023 WC?
Kazakhstan being the only applicant in 2026 if the swiss gets to host in 2023?

Then it might be:
2022: Finland (Tampere/Helsinki)
2023: Switzerland (Zurich/Fribourg)?
2024: Czech republic (Praha/Ostrava)
2025:Sweden/Denmark (Stockholm/Herning)
2026: Kazakhstan? (Nur Sultan/Alamty
2027: Norway?(Oslo/Trondheim)
2028: Germany? (?/?)

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
Norway has chosen host cities today.

Telenor arena in Oslo with 14.000 seats.
Trondheim Spektrum in Trondheim with 9000 seats.

What will happen with the 2023 WC planned in Russia. Will it go to switzerland? Or will maybe Kazakhstan host 2023 WC?
Kazakhstan being the only applicant in 2026 if the swiss gets to host in 2023?

Then it might be:
2022: Finland (Tampere/Helsinki)
2023: Switzerland (Zurich/Fribourg)?
2024: Czech republic (Praha/Ostrava)
2025:Sweden/Denmark (Stockholm/Herning)
2026: Kazakhstan? (Nur Sultan/Alamty
2027: Norway?(Oslo/Trondheim)
2028: Germany? (?/?)
Halifax, N.S. Canada?

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
Halifax, N.S. Canada?
Canada prefers to host the World Juniors bianually, and the NHL, AHL, and Junior league post seasons occur during the World Championships in spring, making desirable venues impossible to use due to timing.

Fjorden

Jan 17, 2021
Bergen, Norway
www.bergenishockey.no
Canada prefers to host the World Juniors bianually, and the NHL, AHL, and Junior league post seasons occur during the World Championships in spring, making desirable venues impossible to use due to timing.
Canada can just host it in july/august in 2023 if that's a problem?

In 2023 it is no big soccer tournaments or olympics to compete with. So why not have it in august?

I can understand the IIHF dont want the tournament to collides with soccer wc/euro or olympics, but in 2023 their is no such tournament.

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
Canada can just host it in july/august in 2023 if that's a problem?

In 2023 it is no big soccer tournaments or olympics to compete with. So why not have it in august?

I can understand the IIHF dont want the tournament to collides with soccer wc/euro or olympics, but in 2023 their is no such tournament.
The players don't want to play in a tournament in July/August, it's their offseason time.

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
Quebec City/Halifax hosted the IIHF Worlds back in 2009?
I think it went pretty well.
Both of those cities do have CHL hockey, but could easily host again and inject some NA interest in the tournament??

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
Quebec City/Halifax hosted the IIHF Worlds back in 2009?
I think it went pretty well.
Both of those cities do have CHL hockey, but could easily host again and inject some NA interest in the tournament??
That was a special one off event to celebrate 100 years of hockey in Canada. It was a good event and I think it would still do great if hosted here, but the logistics of holding the Men's Worlds in Canada today is quite different and doesn't line up with scheduling for this region. It's a predominantly Euro focused tournament anyways and has been for decades, that's why its exclusively hosted in Europe since thats where the interest and viewer ratings of this tournament is. We prefer hosting the World Juniors in Canada.

crobro

Aug 8, 2008
An Italy Austria shared bid would be cool if Italy gets there program in order

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I'd like see that combo country thing where it feels like one nation hosts forever.lol

So a Czech/Slovak tourney followed by a Slovak/Czech tourney.

They'd have great attendance and 'girlfirends' like both countries.lol

Fjorden

Jan 17, 2021
Bergen, Norway
www.bergenishockey.no
I'd like see that combo country thing where it feels like one nation hosts forever.lol

So a Czech/Slovak tourney followed by a Slovak/Czech tourney.

They'd have great attendance and 'girlfirends' like both countries.lol
What interests/prerequisites do these 'girlfriends' have?:)

I once heard an african player changed club from Liverpool to Chelsea because his girlfriend didn't find the restaurants and shopping in Liverpool interesting enough. Not enough instagram friendly restaurant food and shopping to post on instagram.

Anyway it's going to be Düsseldorf and Mannheim in Germany in 2027. Düsseldorf being the fashion capital in Germany with a good restaurant scene should be a good alternative. And Mannheim only a short trip from Frankfurt/Stuttgart(1 hour).

As for 2028 and 2029 Norway will pursuit a new bid with Oslo and Trondheim as host cities.
Kazaksthan with Almaty and Astana aswell I excpect.
Maybe some others also will show interest?

• Haha
Reactions: Czechboy

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
What interests/prerequisites do these 'girlfriends' have?:)

I once heard an african player changed club from Liverpool to Chelsea because his girlfriend didn't find the restaurants and shopping in Liverpool interesting enough. Not enough instagram friendly restaurant food and shopping to post on instagram.

Anyway it's going to be Düsseldorf and Mannheim in Germany in 2027. Düsseldorf being the fashion capital in Germany with a good restaurant scene should be a good alternative. And Mannheim only a short trip from Frankfurt/Stuttgart(1 hour).

As for 2028 and 2029 Norway will pursuit a new bid with Oslo and Trondheim as host cities.
Kazaksthan with Almaty and Astana aswell I excpect.
Maybe some others also will show interest?
Eiffel tower seemed to be a hit.. rosters and attendance were great at that one!

I recall Chris Pronger's wife not wanting to be in Edmonton and him leaving... we are all still very bitter.lol

Next year has a lot of neighbors.. Czech fans will hopefully sell out Czech games. Slovak fans will probably sell out Ostrava games. Poland is next door. Austria is next door. Germany is next door. All the Czech bordering countries are in the tournamnet! We may be the only country that can say that (eg. Slovakia has Hungary as a neighbor). Germany is close but a few nighbors are not hockey nations.

That, and as repeated often on here for this and Jr's, make the tickets accesible. Free seats for some of the games of less interest. Fan zones for the high ticket ones. Make it so people can watch... profit of beer, hotel and tourism sales.

Reactions: Old Man Jags

FrHockeyFan

Dec 25, 2017
During today's press conference presenting the Ligue Magnus' new season, FFHG president Pierre-Yves Gerbeau confirmed France will be candidate to host the 2028 WC on its own.

Paris' Accor Arena (Bercy) would be the primary arena. The secondary one would be the brand new LCDC Arena in Lyon, home of the local basketball team ASVEL (capacity for b-ball is 12,523 places).

He confirmed a London-Paris ticket was also considered but it was decided against as to make sure to get the semifinals and finals unlike in 2017.

He also mentioned the French government working on hosting the 2030 Winter Games which could potentially make two major hockey tournaments organised in the country in the space of 2 years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad